help w/ dsl router

MaxX

Anyone whos hooked up a dsl router before please help me. I can't get mine to work, it seems to be happy after I configure it but explorer can't connect to the internet. Then it started insisting on giving it an update...
mad.gif

u have make sure ur computer is reading the router, and also make sure ur internet settings in ie are set to receive the connection form there. sry for the vagueness, but i havent touched my broadband router since i got a year ago.

I couldn't quite tell, but it sounds like you are able to SEE your router, just not able to get out to the Internet. Do you know if your IP address is static or dynamic? It's possible (not likely) you have a static IP address and need to specifically set the IP of your router to be the static IP.

The router is connected to the DSL modem, right?

If your computer is able to see your router, then the problem is some setting in your router.

you can configure your router to optain an IP automatically DHCP or try PPPOE where you need to put in your user naame and password from your provider

Brrr me no like routers. I've had problesm with it before such as cutting me off StarCraft, high ping in CS, such and such. My computer Acts as a router, providing connections to other computers through it. Not a lot of problems, cuz mines on most of the time the other computers are on. Besides, you can control the gate access using your computer, so no jams and unknown blocks and firewalls.

I got it to work but for some reason it dumps me after a while (usually after not using th internet for a bit), and i cant get back on without rebooting or hooking the dsl modem directly to the comp...methinks windows problem?

Ummm, I think it's an ISP issue. You using Verizon? That's who I have and I have to reboot DSL modem and router just about every day. I have to do this just about every single morning.

I don't think it's a Windows issue because I can see the router and any other connected computer just fine.

Aye it's not windows issue. If your using DSL you gotta give the router the Isp's address, user name and pw, such and such.

I wish I had money...my dad wants a wireless router but I'm not sure if it'll work with his 266 compaq
tounge.gif

Yeh. It's not the computer specs that matters in routers. Dont' worry, unless he abuses his computer, it should work fine.

Back