Help with linux

amusedtoe

Ok, so I finally got Linux and Windows installed and to happilly coexist.  Now I need to get Linux all good to go and this is where I'm running into problems.  The first of which is Linux is booting into text mode which is annoying but temporarily fixed by startx, does anyone know how I can change it so that it boots to the graphical UI?  
Secondly is that Creative's really dopey and doesn't support Linux at all.  This is a problem because my modem and soundcard are both Creative.  The modem is the bigger problem as I need it to get online to get video drivers and such.  Is there any way to do so without drivers for the modem and how do I go about setting that up and then how do I dial?  Those are the biggest questions I couldn't find in the online docs for now, so much help would be nice please.  ^_^

Someone somewhere is on the same rig as you. You can pray that they were 1337 enough to whip up drivers themselves. Google-it. If its out there, Google will find it.

As for the booting into GUI, why would you want to do that anyway? ... anyway, I can't believe you didn't Google-it

Sorry about not Googling the drivers, but I'm not your servant, and I know thats going to be pretty obscure, and I don't really care that much.

what happened to toe the l337 h4x0r? cant even figure out linux nubikins ?
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

Problem with the modem? It's a winmodem. What's a winmodem? Read on for all the necessary information.

As for your sound card, that might be a bit more complex. I'm afraid I can't give any advice on that topic.

Well Creative links to these open source ones at least so I have something if I can figure out how to install em. So new question on top of this, how do I install the Detonators?
Also how do I edit these files like the inittab to set the default bootlevel, and like the xf86config which the Detonators readme wanted me to do?
Is there a problem with not knowing how to completly use something you've never even seen used before, as soon as you try? Nub. ^_^

Heres what you do:

1. Go to the NVidia website.
2. Download the (Linux) drivers.
3. Download the (Linux) installation instructions.
4. Follow the (Linux) installation instructions.

There ya go.

Real helpful. -_- Do you even run Linux? ;-P Seeing as I did all that and the instructions then say this:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ](sec-03) EDITING YOUR XF86CONFIG FILE
____

When XFree86 4.0 was released, it used a slightly different XF86Config
file syntax than the 3.x series did, and so to allow both 3.x and 4.x
versions of XFree86 to co-exist on the same system, it was decided that
XFree86 4.x was to use the configuration file "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
if it existed, and only if that file did not exist would the file
"/etc/X11/XF86Config" be used (actually, that is an over-simplification
of the search criteria; please see the XF86Config man page for a complete
description of the search path). Please make sure you know what
configuration file XFree86 is using. If you are in doubt, look for a
line beginning with "(==) Using config file:" in your XFree86 log file
("/var/log/XFree86.0.log"). This README will use "XF86Config" to refer
to your configuration file, whatever it is named.

If you do not have a working XF86Config file, there are several ways
to start: there is a sample config file that comes with XFree86,
and there is a sample config file included with the NVIDIA driver
package (it gets installed in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/).
You could also use a program like 'xf86config'; some distributions
provide their own tool for generating an XF86Config file. For more
on XF86Config file syntax, please refer to the man page.

If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

Driver "nv"
(or Driver "vesa")

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

if they exist. There are also numerous options that can be added to
the XF86Config file to fine-tune the NVIDIA XFree86 driver. Please see
Appendix D for a complete list of these options.

Once you have configured your XF86Config file, you are ready to restart
X and begin using the accelerated OpenGL libraries. After you restart X,
you should be able to run any OpenGL application and it will automatically
use the new NVIDIA libraries. If you encounter any problems, please
see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section below.

I have no idea how to do that.

I never said you were a nub, and I never would have said your a nub for not doing good right away, but you ARE a nub for not trying Google first.

Another helpful command is "man " man = manual. Tons of good stuff in there.

Since your still confused about the boot level thingy, lemme answere that (I can't believe I didn't see that question the first time around.... did you edit your post after I replied?) first:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Determining The Default Boot runlevel
The default boot runlevel is set in the file /etc/inittab with the "initdefault" variable. When set to “3”, the system boots up with the text interface on the VGA console; when set to “5”, you get the GUI. Here is a sample snippet of the file: (Delete the initdefault line you don't need)

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:                         # Console Text Mode

id:5:initdefault:                         # Console GUI Mode

·    Most home users boot up with a Windows like GUI (Run Level 5)

·    Most techies will tend to boot up with a plain text based command line type interface (Run level 3)

·    Changing "initdefault" from 3 to 5 or vice-versa will have an immediate effect upon your next login
and that was from the site that *I* googled for *you*. If you still don't understand that, then perhaps Linux is too 1337 for you :p (although, the whole downloading 24/7 for 3 weeks or whatever IS pretty 1337....)

Ok, now I *know* you edited the reply because you asked to explain what the NVidia instructions said, and I distinctly remember you not having that (which is why I said to use them). Anyway, the instructions are asking you to do some pretty simple stuff. Find the file XF86Config, then edit it, making the changes. ("vi XF86Config" makes changes to the file. "vi" is the actual editor, which can be used for any (ascii)file such as "vi website.html" or "vi LagIsLeet.txt"...).

You'll have to be in command line, me thinks. Even if you werent, I don't know my way around the Linux gui so wouldn't be able to help you. I'm pretty sure you CAN just pull up a command prompt within GUI linux, but whats the point?....

Anyway, basically no matter what you do command line > gui except in User Friendliness, but who really cares? I'm assuming your only planning to run a CS server? Since your such a newb... I googled it for you

Good luck. (it seems like you'll need it
wink.gif
)

Well it's kinda overwheling just searching on Google when your not sure what you need to search for or what's going to be helpful. I think I get it now so hopefully I do. ^_^ would be nice if I could unjam my printer and just print this stuff. :p Also I'm not really sure how well a CS server would run on my wee lil 28.8 connection. ^_^

Lol, yah... ohwell. Why did you waste/use your 3 weeks downloading Linux then? Thats the general reason newbs use Linux
wink.gif

Ok so under soundcard detection it detects my card properly and stuff, but then it says Module: disabled. Does that mean I can somehow enable that and it'll work, or do I have to try and figure out how to make these drivers work?

Back