How did you hear about Tribe of Judah?

Heard about it through a friend at church.
That was an unexpected answer. :)

It may be because of the Tulsa, Oklahoma Christian church sub-culture I grew up in and the pushback I encountered when asking local churches to help promote the first Christian Gamers Alliance convention (even after clearly explaining that I was not asking for money), but I always find myself surprised when I hear about Christians talking about Tribe of Judah at a local church and not in the context of a youth group.

It shouldn't surprise me, though; the Christian gaming community at large has several pastors and ministers involved at almost all levels. Video games, like any other technology, is just a platform Christians can use to encourage one another, enjoy fellowship, and reach out to others.

It always seemed odd that some of the local churches in Tulsa that didn't seem to want anything to do with Tribe of Judah held Super Bowl parties every year and occasionally arranged youth group paintball parties.

</offtopic>

It's encouraging to me that our most effective means of recruiting, based on this small sample of replies, seems to be word of mouth. As President, I tend to look at things from a "top-down" perspective. When the topic of recruiting comes up, my thoughts immediately turn to posting recruiting calls on outside forums, social media like Facebook and Twitter, and increasing activity on game servers. I tend to forget how powerful word of mouth can be.

The trouble is that word of mouth, to be effective, must be genuine. If I were to offer an incentive for members to talk about Tribe of Judah, the recommendation would lose at least some, if not all, of its validity.

Church "contests" in the vein of, "Bring 10 unsaved friends to church, win a cookie!" never sat well with me. Talking to complete strangers about my personal faith and world view felt more like advertising than an earnest discussion. While I would love to talk about my faith with my friends, Christian or otherwise, striking up conversations with complete strangers to share the Gospel felt awkward.

Even when posting recruiting calls for Tribe of Judah, it feels more like posting a flyer (an activity without direct and personal interaction with the public--passive rather than active) than approaching strangers on the street.

Don't misunderstand me; there's a time and place for evangelism and I don't mean to compare sharing our faith with telling others about Tribe of Judah. I'm just thinking a more personal touch may be in order.

Maybe instead of offering some kind of incentive to "refer a friend" to Tribe of Judah, we could instead just ask members to include a link to our site and forums in their signatures on other forums or web sites? If the member believes in Tribe of Judah and our mission, he or she will add the link to his or her signature (again, a passive rather than an active measure).

If other members go a step beyond and tell their friends about Tribe of Judah (which, judging by this thread, is a fairly common occurrence), then all the better.

TL;DR? If you have a genuine desire to see Tribe of Judah grow, tell others about our community. Don't go calling random numbers in the phone book or posting recruiting calls where that sort of thing isn't allowed.

An important note: If you identify yourself as a member of Tribe of Judah, you represent us--and, more importantly, Christ. Please conduct yourselves accordingly.

TF2 Server

I first discovered ToJ shortly after purchasing TF2. I was scrolling through the list of servers one night and saw the ToJ server with the message saying something like Christian gamers and checked it out. :)

Actually, being a loner by nature, I did not even consider looking at joining a Christian gaming clan for the longest time. Just hanging around as a guest on Christian servers was enough for me.

Ironically, it was Guild Wars that motivated me to look around for a Christian gaming clan. Why? There is no "Christian server" to choose. So I started searching on Google and saw the Spirit of Elijah webpage and its connection to Tribe of Judah. I eventually picked Tribe of Judah because I believe it gave the impression of being composed of gamers who liked to play a variety of game titles and platforms as opposed to focusing solely on one or two.

An IRL friend from church who tends to go by the name yourfatmamma had played with various ToJ members, sometimes on their servers in Call of Duty and UT. He hadn't joined the clan because of his involvement in PAB Games, another clan consisting of his friends. But he let me know about it and I joined up pretty soon after that. yourfatmamma did register on these forums as zoemorn, by the way.

I joined ToJ after playing CS for a couple years and after receiving numerous requests to join other CS clan, (yes, I used to be pretty good at gaming) I thought that I would like to join a christian clan rather then just some random one, so I started looking around a found ToJ on a search and started playing with Goose62 and Elite for a while then joined up. Only clan/community I said I'd join 'til I left the gaming world completely

If I remember correctly, When you first created ToJ, (years & years & years ago...) there was a blurb on a secular SC website that mentioned a 'different' kind of clan, one that said it may have some staying power because it had different common denominator...

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, When you first created ToJ, (years & years & years ago...) there was a blurb on a secular SC website that mentioned a 'different' kind of clan, one that said it may have some staying power because it had different common denominator...
Would that web site happened to have been Infoceptor, by any chance?

I heard about it from my brother, aka Shadetaker. Back then, (January of 06 I believe) Shadetaker had just gotten me into WoW so I joined toj in order to get into Redeemed.

sorry, but that was nigh upon 8 years ago

and I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night....

Would that web site happened to have been Infoceptor, by any chance?

There is a good chance it was. I remember looking at many sites trying to find out more about this 'new game' that I was getting addicted to...

e17

I was looking for Christian guilds in Guild Wars and it popped up in a Google search.

I heard it through a good, old, friend who actually helped in the getting my parents to believe I was mature enough to play.

I originally found it by searching for a Christian guild in DAoC. I found Knights of the Trinity and joined then.

Two others in my church have joined since then by hearing of my involvement.

I had a StarCraft clan back in the day. I used to download replays from the CGA site, and that's when I somehow met Elihu, and he told me about ToJ. I didn't join until about 2 or 3 years after though, when I started the WoW guild.

I just joined. Was looking for a Christian Guild Wars guild. Used to be in another one but it has died since I last played. Encouraged by seeing all the other games that CGA is into.
I prefer playing in Christian guilds because I've had bad experiences in other ones. Also try to surround myself with Christ centered folk in everything. Too easy to be tempted to go astray without.

I was searching for a Christian Guild Wars Guild. I found Raven on guildwarsguru.com who told me about SoE. During the joining process for SoE, I found out about ToJ.

I remember I was searching the web for a christian gaming guild. Can't remember what game I was playing at the time though.

Back