How much would you be willing to pay for the Nintendo Wii at launch?

MeridianFlight

Nintendo cryptically announced today (News courtesy of IGN) that the Wii would retail for not more than 250 dollars, but they didn't set a firm price. Rampant speculation has ensued over the possibility of a 249.99 price tag.

What does everyone think? Would you be willing to pay 250 dollars for a videogame console that is slightly more powerful than the first Xbox?

If the Wii launches at 250 and Microsoft drops the Premium Xbox 360 to 300 dollars, I think I'll go with the 360. While the Wii does indeed include a "revolutionary" controller, it is running on technology that isn't nearly as powerful as what's under the hoods of Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's Playstation 3. I don't like to think of myself as a graphicsmonger, but the Wii is a GameCube with a turbocharger throw in, and not a very powerful one at that. The GCN retails for 99 dollars right now.

249.99 for GameCube 1.5 with a "magic wand" is a little steep.

Thoughts?

Gamecube = $100
Gamecube 1.5 + Revolutionary controller = $200
Gamecube 1.5 + Revolutionary controller + All the Nintendo classics = $250

i'd pay $0. i never buy consoles at launch, mainly 'cause i'm broke, but i like to wait until there's a decent library of games to choose from.

I think $250 is great for me, especially seeing that other next-gen systems run $400-700.

Gosh, I hate how everyone thinks the Wii isn't good enough to be considered next generation...

NEXT GENERATION DOES NOT MEAN BETTER GRAPHICS! =/ Did anyone pick up what Nintendo's stance is against Sony and Microsoft? They're both pushing for bigger, better graphics, but to be quite frank, neither of these systems are really doing anything new. That's why Nintendo is doing something different.

And, you guys cannot pass these judgements about the Wii until it actually comes out. Until then, just chill out!

</rant>

i will give that to Nintendo, they do make a good party system. with games like Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bro's, Mario Party, etc., they make a good system, and games that are fun for a group of people. that's my one dislike about PS2 compared to GC. i like 4+ player games, without having to buy an adapter. that and being the 1st to come out with their own wireless controller is definately a +.

$250 sounds great to me, but as already stated above, I barely ever buy consoles at launch...to many bugs and not enough games...

Whatever cost is...$230something. I would pay full retail if I could get Zelda at launch. I've never played a Zelda game before, but it looks fun. :)

SirThom said:
I think $250 is great for me, especially seeing that other next-gen systems run $400-700.

Gosh, I hate how everyone thinks the Wii isn't good enough to be considered next generation...

NEXT GENERATION DOES NOT MEAN BETTER GRAPHICS! =/ Did anyone pick up what Nintendo's stance is against Sony and Microsoft? They're both pushing for bigger, better graphics, but to be quite frank, neither of these systems are really doing anything new. That's why Nintendo is doing something different.

And, you guys cannot pass these judgements about the Wii until it actually comes out. Until then, just chill out!

</rant>

I don't mind that the Wii won't be able to throw down with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 graphically. I understand that Nintendo is taking the "disruptive" approach, and they believe that the pursuit of better looking videogames is at best futile at this point. As a representative for Nintendo of America stated, the Wii is a "new-generation" system.

What I'm not too thrilled about it the possibility of having to shell out 250 dollars for technology akin to that of the first Xbox when 50 dollars more will buy the Xbox 360 Core System.

Nintendo is turning a profit with their 99 dollar GameCubes according to some of the IGN editors in the article I posted at the start of this thread. Considering that the Wii hardware architecture is supposed to be quite similar ot that of the GameCube's, I can't imagine that even with the addition of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth technology, and the remote that the production costs for Nintendo would be driven to the point where they would forced to sell the system for 250 dollars.

Taliesin said:
Whatever cost is...$230something. I would pay full retail if I could get Zelda at launch. I've never played a Zelda game before, but it looks fun. :)

Many gamers consider The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to be one of the greatest games of all-time. Game Rankings.com has it listed as the top rated game of all-time. If you do pick up a Wii (or a N64 or GCN, for that matter), I would encourage you to check it out. It's an absolutely fantastic game.

Twilight Princess is a confirmed launch title, so it should ship alongside the Wii.

In short, Zelda rocks!

Back