How to utiliz network

TheJfreak

Because when i dl something or when i do anything with iternet i push ctrl alt delete and i have xp so i click on network and it say im using very little of my bandwith what is up with that and how can i increase the usege. please help

That's normal, it won't be 100%.

Go to dslreports.com, download that program, and see what your connection speed is.

The technical reason is this. You probably have an ethernet card running at 100 mbps. Most broadband services run between .3-4 mbps. Meaning that the pipe from your box to cable/dsl modem is huge. But your pipe from your modem to the outside world is rather small. So that is why, even when you are downloading a big file, you are only seeing 1-3 % usage (1 mbps modem / 100 mbps ethernet = 1% usage).

If you really wanted to see that go up higher, you would have to transfer a large file between computers on your home network where it can utilize more of the 100 mbps available to it.

If you want an accurate picture of your bandwidth from your modem to the outside world, I agree with Bowser. dslreports has some excellent tools including some tweak tools that may help you get a little more through.

Plank hit it right on the head.  The most I have ever seen my Network usuage hit is 4% and that was a LAN game (I'm on 54mbps, wireless, so it would be less of a percentage on 100mbps LAN, 1mbps cable).

I did that test to see if my cable provider was lying to me, they are not.  
smile.gif
 I'm getting what I expected.

lol figuired id see u here talon, but yeah quick thing, is there such a modem that can get more than 3%?

The highest I have seen residentual broadband service speeds is 8 mbps. So it is possable. It just depends how deep your pockets are and what services are provided in your area.

I doubt it atown.  If you are on a 100mbps LAN to use all 100% your isp would have to output 100mbps, like thats going to happen.  And I believe that cable internet, the cable itself (wire) can only support up to 30mbps but i'm not sure on that number.  (That would be the one used for home use).  My brand new high school is on a T3 internet connection (thats a whopping 75mbps) and all the computers on the network have 100mbps ethernet NICs.  Of course with over 1000 computers hooked up and online at once not a computer is going to get 75mbps.  So its not the modem, its the isp output rate that decides how much percentage of the network you use.

Back