Hunters: Armor Penetration vs Agility for MM

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here. Here's a quote of what I wrote from our forum... Pretty simple.

I'm going to add some more info to this for hunters who are well geared and have some questions about ArPen. I hope you don't mind Samboe.

So Samboe linked a basic spec. Eventually when you're geared enough you can drop Arcane Shot from your rotation and from your talent tree. And the spec would look something like this. Now there's a lot of confusion about when to gem Armor Penetration. I know at least it was confusing to me since half of the hunters that are geared are stacking it and it seems so appealing. I want to make understanding ArPen so easy a caveman could do it. Here's a quick little explanation of when to gem ArP.

There are several plateaus of ArPen (arranged based on Arpen from gear ALONE, before gems).

0~400 - Spec MM + Imp Arcane Shot - Stack Agility Gems

~400- mid700s - Spec MM w/o Imp Arcane Shot and drop it from your rotation- Continue to Stack Agility Gems (This is where I'm at)

~720 - Soft Cap for NES
~730 - Soft Cap for Runestone
~780 - Soft Cap for Grim Toll

800+ Spec MM w/o Imp Arcane Shot - Stack ArPen Gems to the moon assuming you have the gear to do so w/o losing too much AP and Crit%.

Only on this last phase should you even begin contemplate gemming Arpen into you gear at all. There is a HIGH gear requirement on making gemming Arpen worthwhile and no offense but if you're asking yourself this question you aren't even close. You should be sticking with Agility gems until you fit the criteria listed above.

Back