iGameBoy?

MeridianFlight

No, Nintendo isn't ripping off Apple yet again.

GameSpot posted a story in its Rumor Control section involving Apple and its possible attempts to delve into the realm of videogames. Apparently they may have hired a former employee of LucasArts.

Could a gaming enabled version of the iPod not be far behind?

[toj.cc]phantom said:

I meant it jokingly, but many have pointed out the significance of the name "Wii" and white as the new predominate color for that console and the DS Lite. Many people believe Nintendo is attempting to model itself after Apple, which is perfectly cool, considering what Apple has been able to accomplish.

I wouldn't say using the same color scheme as apple counts as ripping them off. White and blue have been the "futuristic looking" colors since before Apple was using them I think.

I cant think of a single Apple that has been any other color other than white (aside from the old Imac's.) :p :eek:

Killerah said:
I wouldn't say using the same color scheme as apple counts as ripping them off. White and blue have been the "futuristic looking" colors since before Apple was using them I think.

It goes deeper than that though. One of the editors on 1UP had a hilarious blog where they compared several Apple products to Nintendo products and Nintendo seemed to mirror Apple every step of the way. Unfortunately I'm not sure who it was.

Anyway, if you look at the name Wii, especially with the importance of the two "i" letters, there's inspiration to be found from Apple there as well. I think there are several strong connections between Apple's products and philopsophy and Nintendo's products and philosphy. I'm not saying that this is a horrible thing, not in the slightest. I just find it interesting.

Killerah said:
Oh yeah, I kinda forgot that apple had a monopoly on the lower case letter "i" :).

Did anyone have any qualms about the name Revolution? It was accepted by the gaming populace and seem to fit the system well. Wii has the marks of Apple inspiration all over it. Just watch the promotional video for the Wii name.

Same here. Thus far I haven't seen any paralells between the two. I guess I don't associate whiteness, and the letter "i" with Apple.

Apple may just try and make games for their already existing iPod, which has an extensive install base. Audio, Video, now games too? Breakout was already included with the iPod, and I have no doubt that Jobs will try to have some more casual games at maybe 2-5$ on iTunes.

Or, I could be overthinking, and he just wants to make some fancy visualizations.

SirThom said:

Sorry, I left out Sony in my rush to reply and then go do something else.

I was knocking Sony's self-proclaimed "innovative" motion sensing controller and how it supposedly didn't derive any inspiration whatsoever from Nintendo's Wii-mote.

Anyway, I go back to the name Revolution. I think that Nintendo changed the name to Wii in part because of Apple's success with iPod and iTunes. I know the "i" is supposed to be indicative of the Wii-mote, but I think Nintendo is attempting to tap into the cultural recognition of the lowercase "i" in consumer electronics.

I liken it to Kitchen-Aid naming their next toaster the ToasterStation. A bit of a stretch perhaps? Yes, I'd agree, but I'm sleep deprived at the moment, so I think I get a pass. If not a pass, then a snickerdoodle. Everybody loves snickerdoodles.

I think that Nintendo changed the name to Wii in part because of Apple's success with iPod and iTunes.
Mmm, I don't think so. I think that if Nintendo called it "We" instead of "Wii", then people might confuse it with the women's cable television network. They probably couldn't call it "Wi" for phonetic reasons, so they named it "Wii". Big deal. =/

And -- at least Nintendo tried to be original this time, because I know the name "PlayStation" isn't.

SirThom said:
Mmm, I don't think so. I think that if Nintendo called it "We" instead of "Wii", then people might confuse it with the women's cable television network. They probably couldn't call it "Wi" for phonetic reasons, so they named it "Wii". Big deal. =/

And -- at least Nintendo tried to be original this time, because I know the name "PlayStation" isn't.

I don't think Sony can claim originality in anything in the videogame world.

I think we disagree over Nintendo's inspiration for the name Wii, but in the end as you know, the name doesn't mean anything. I fully expect the Wii, thanks in part to the Virtual Console, to become the greatest videogame console of all time.

If only Bioware would show them some hot story-centric RPG lovin'.

:( I'll be in the corner consoling myself with a snickerdoodle.

Indeed, we apparently do disagree, but I do agree that, in the end, the name of the console doesn't matter anyway.

Back