im curious

firerex

is dating a non-christian really that bad of a thing to do, i know some people look down on it but... just looking for opinions

2 Corinthians said:
6:14 "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?"

6:17 "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord."

7:1 "... let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit..."

This parable looks at the old way of transportation. You'd have a cart pulled by a pair of oxen or pair of donkeys. If you have 1 oxen and 1 donkey, they won't pull the cart very well, if at all. One of them will drag down the other.

Compare this to an atheist dating a Christian. The Christian might be firm in his morals and be biblically convicted to hold them. But after dating someone for awhile, specifically someone who doesn't care much for boundaries, you grow to love the person, and your religious convictions can have a tendency to melt away. You may find yourself trying to justify your actions, as that is what Satan will want you to do. Sin has a way of knocking at your door when your guard is down.

God said:
Extra verses:

1 Thessalonians 5:22 "Avoid every kind of evil"
1 Corinthians 6:18 "FLEE from sexual immorality..." -- literally get up and run away as fast as you can, screaming and hollering at the top of your lungs.

Paul does not say we should isolate ourselves from non-believers. Rather, Paul wants believers to be active in their witness for Christ to nonbelievers, but they should not lock themselves in personal relationships that could cause them to compromise their faith. Believers should do everything in their power to avoid situations that could force them to divide their loyalties. This is especially true in relationships where (in our society) sexual sin is displayed as normal and even encouraged by many people.

Now, Romans 14: 13-23 says simply, "Do not do anything if it might cause your brother to sin." If I am dating a non-christian who is an upstanding citizen and VERY moral, your friend might say, "If it's okay for him to date a non-christian, then I will do." You friend could end up with a crazy heathen and follow the path to sin. The bible says that YOU are guilty. That punishment is worse than if it had been yourself.

From my personal experience, you HAVE to set boundaries IMMEDIATELY in a relationship. My girlfriend and I have been dating for nearly 4 years, and we make sure we don't pass that thin line that society and Satan tries to convince us isn't real. We have not and we will not put ourselves in that situation.

Last edited:
My mom is a Christian, and my dad used to be a non-Christian but now is (became one after years and years of marriage) and their marriage is in great shape, although I think that's an exception and not the rule (and he became a Christian more recently anyway)

Stand on a chair and attempt to pull somebody up. Generally you end up falling down rather then pulling them up. The people closest to you will end up affecting your behavior, given the stance that dating is a pretty serious and close thing their tenancies will likely rub onto you. Since they are not a Christian (and will likely not be as date conversions rarely work) they will be an anchor and burden in your walk with God.

I don't know if this is apt (because this is about marriages), but, I've heard stories from marriages going both ways. One was a Christian woman marrying a Muslim man (who was a former terrorist) in which both hoped to convert the other. In the end she won and he ended up becoming a leading evangelist, Walid Shoebat (Whom I like).

The other story I heard though was of a Christian woman marring a Muslim man and moving to his country. After which she lost all rights, was cut off from her family and was treated as a virtual slave by her (formally loving) husband until her family finally rescued her years later.

My point is there is no certainty in relationships. Peoples choices are their own God given right for better or worse and you shouldn't get involved in a personal relationship fooling yourself thinking you can change a person later.

Last edited:
personally i cannot date non-christians, mostly because i find alot of features missing in the relationship, but also due to the fact its a relationship i want to have someone lift me up, not just emotionally but spiritually as well. and with the spiritual side of a relationship i really put that as a primary focal point.

Love them for who they are. Spend time planting seed and praying for them. Be the very best witness you can be for Jesus to this person. If they are open to Christ and the seed grows in them they will eventually get Saved, then, and only then, you can begin a more involved relationship.

I was not saved for the first few years my wife and I were together. She prayed and planted seed in me and I was searching for something better, but I was not a Christian yet and it was very rough unitl I got Saved.

There are to many biblical principles that if not accepted by both parties can affect the relationship and not allow it to flourish, remeber this... If it is God's Will; So shall it be!

/agreed with Atown...

With God needing to be most of my life and yours, having an important part of your life not filled with God could cause problems, I know it would for me... "...in ALL your ways acknowledge Him..." could cause a problem for non-Christians...

I do not look down on it or anyone who does it, I just do not believe it is a good idea...yes sometimes they end up saved but in most cases I have seen it didn't work out...

Honestly, one of my really good friends would not be a Christian if he didn't marry a Christian woman who did not give up on him...

Hey someone deleted my post here!

The spamcolypse is upon us. I have had posts that were on topic and informative deleted for no apparent reason other then the SPAM label applied. Oh well, totalitarian dictatorships are always interesting.

That said...

Spend time with God, if you feel He wants you to date them then do so, but they should never come between you and God. If that happens back off a little and spend some time in the Word.

o0 my keyboards sleep button works...I accidentally pressed it lol

my friends mother was a non-believer who married a christian. she is know the most godliest amazing person i know.

the only thing i can say for u is try to bring her to god before you date her.

also a non-believer is 10x more likley to hurt u then a christian.

as peole have said it is gods will, if he wants you to be with her, wether for marriage in the future or just a life lesson, it will be, if not then u will probably somehow lose contact with her.

Blkstones said:
also a non-believer is 10x more likley to hurt u then a christian.

As Christians, we'd like to think so, but remember we're all still flawed and make a countless number of bad choices every day. The true difference is in how we handle the problem - both as the offender and the offended.

Moderator's Note: Thread moved to Advice Forum.

is dating a non-christian really that bad of a thing to do, i know some people look down on it but... just looking for opinions
The bible however is very clear about things as well," Do NOt Be Unequally Yoked". While that refers directly to not marrying a non-believer I would not even want to date a non-believer.

He still has an account, if that's what your asking. As to whether or not he's come back and read the things we've said. No idea. We'll never know until he replies in the post again.

Back