I'm thinking about going to church

I have mixed feelings. Part of me is happy because you are seeking fellowship with other "believers". The next step could be a Christian church. The other side of me is thinking "mmmm Waco is in Texas too"

How did you stumble across this? and Can I change my sig to...

"I'm the Christian your pastor warned you about"

:D

If I'm ever in Houston, I may check this out, just to see what it's about. I'm serious too. One problem does jump out though.

Basically, they call themselves a church to get instant non-profit tax exemptions? I have a slight problem with their terminology. From dictionary.com (italics theirs, bold emphasis mine):

church ( P ) Pronunciation Key (chûrch)
n.
1. A building for public, especially Christian worship.
2. often Church
a. The company of all Christians regarded as a spiritual body.
b. A specified Christian denomination: the Presbyterian Church.
c. A congregation.
3. Public divine worship in a church; a religious service: goes to church at Christmas and Easter.
4. The clerical profession; clergy.
5. Ecclesiastical power as distinguished from the secular: the separation of church and state.

Doesn't it seem hypocritical to call oneself a religious organization when it is based on being areligious? That's at best a misrepresentation. I'd have a lot less problem with them calling themselves a congregation, which has religious connotations but is not a religious term in and of itself. More important than what I think, I believe the IRS would be much happier if they just filed the appropriate paperwork instead of misrepresenting themselves as something they aren't.

(I'll leave the discussion about how they believe that it's impossible to be rational and believe in a god for another time, since we've been around that block one too many times here already.)

Gen's on a roll :)

I ran across some pictures from a meeting they had that is right down the street from me.

I have actually been seriously contemplating changing my philosophical title. I'm questioning the veracity of whether my beliefs actually lie in the atheistic camp.

Don't get too excited though. I think I would be more accurately described as an agnostic. I hate these terms because they are very broad so I may actually be something closer to an Agnostic Atheist, or an Agnostic Humanist.

More thinking will have to be done :)

Don't get too excited though. I think I would be more accurately described as an agnostic. I hate these terms because they are very broad so I may actually be something closer to an Agnostic Atheist, or an Agnostic Humanist.

hmmmm, I think agnostic would be match your beliefs, based on my understanding of you.

How does your family feel about the church

I went with my father to a Universalist Unitarian church once, which strikes me as similar to that in a lot of ways. I dunno, I think if I was an agnostic I would be trying to make the most out of my few years on earth. And that would certainly NOT include waking up early on Sunday mornings! :D

Also, I've been to a few meetings with these guys: http://tulsa.humanists.net/
They're basically church functions minus God, which I find boring, but I guess if you're basically looking for a social club you could certainly do worse.

The living tradition which we share draws from many sources:

Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Courtesy of http://www.uua.org/aboutuua/principles.html

All of the religions that are combined in the UU statement of beliefs contradict each other. It is like trying to combine oil and water.

Gen

Yeah, that's my thoughts too, pretty much. I was talking with my dad about religion one time, and whenever I would point out that two of his beliefs contradicted, he would always say, "I'm OK with that."

I dunno, I guess he just feels like he's enlightened or something. In any case, I'm not going to change his mind, which saddens me. But that's the cost of free will, I guess.

LOL you have got to be kidding me.

What is the appeal of the 3 ring circus mega church?

Does the word opulent mean anything to you?

They are working on a 90$ MILLION new church...where the Houston Rockets use to play!

The Osteens live in a 2.2$ Million home.

The church was paying him a $200,000 a year salary...which he has declined since his books are selling so well.

And THIS is the church you want me to visit?

What about this church appeals to you? It certainly doesn't appeal to me.

Phewy, I'm in palm dessert and it is hoooooooooooooooooooooot! I think lake wood is the better choice here (mostly because it describes my church to a tee).

I've seen him on TV and agree with what he preaches and how he preaches. Plus, I'm assembly of God and that fits in with what I believe. So God has blessed him with a good amount of money, who cares. Why are you so quick to judge someone (esp someone part of the Christian clery), that has a lot of money? What if you made a name for yourself and starting making quite a bit of money one of these days and someone had the same attitude that you have toward you? And to tell you the truth, I don't know many people who would refuse a pay check =\

Here is the church I go to btw: http://www.calvarytempleindy.org/

AH, Calvary Temple. Now I'm getting a better picture.

Are you sure you didn't use to be here under a different name? I seem to remember another Calvary Chapel member from Indy. :)

Anyway, are you sure it's GOD that has blessed him with a good amount of money?

Are we forgetting the Rich Man parable in the Bible?

There's a difference between being well off and living in a mansion. And yes, I have a huge problem with a minister living far better than the majority of his flock.

Read this article and tell me if you still feel the same way:
http://www.iconbusters.com/iconbusters/htm/heretics/heretics.html

Back