Imagine that

DahcsLion

I was watching this show just a few minutes ago called "Rwanda: Living Forgiveness".

I remember back in 1994, hearing of the mass slaughter, the genocide in Rwanda. There are two main groups of people there, the Hootoo and the tootsie (Hu-tu and tu-tsee). I'm not sure of the spelling so I put a little pronounciation key in there.

Back then, the hootoo president had been assassinated when someone shot down his plane as he was traveling. A call went out on the radio there for all hootoo to rise up and kill the tootsie. In less than 4 months, 200,000 people were killed with knives, axes and machetes. I remember seeing the news clips of rivers filled with the bodies of the slain, running red with their blood.

In this documentary, there were two men. One man was a hootoo and one was a tootsie. These men traveled around Rwanda telling people about Jesus. The thing that made these two men such a special team was that the tootsie man had 14 members of his family slain during this time. The other man, was the one who killed them. I came away with just one question.

Who are we to harbor such unforgiveness and bitterness towards our own people over here when we have so much and have need of very little, when men like this have next to nothing and can freely forgive in the face of such tragety and loss? Two men, one who found the ability to confess his sin and ask forgiveness from the other, and one who was able to forgive one of the largest losses of his life. These are truly two hearts that where sprinkled with the blood of Jesus.

Many people of the past have taught that the filthy sexual habits of Sodom was the reason for it's destruction, but this is not so. Homosexuality was only a symptom, a side effect of a much deeper problem. The prophet Ezekiel reveals to us why Sodom was destroyed:

Eze 16:49 "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy.
Eze 16:50 "Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it.

Sodom's sin was hardheartedness. We who hide in our churches must return to the basics of our faith, and the first and most important requirement for us is forgiveness. It pains me to see, that with all the hardheartedness in our own country, how we can still send the most effective of us to other countries to minister the true gospel of Jesus Christ. There are people right here who have never heard of the real Jesus. There is mass deception in churches as they leave The Word of God behind and exchange it for entertainment and watered-down, powerless messages. We must strive to live the life that Jesus lived and go back to being those who show the light of Jesus Christ to others.

Ministry has nothing to do with bible college and mission trips. Ministry is what you do when you get up in the morning, ministry is what you do when no one is looking, ministry is what you talk about around your friends and ministry is your level of submission to Jesus Christ and the Words that He spoke.

I ask that everyone who reads this remember these words: Maturity in Christ is not judged by what spiritual gifts you operate in or how big your church is, it is judged solely on your level of love for others.

1Co 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

1Co 13:13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Be blessed.

Back