intel vs amd

galatian

okay so i work with 2 guys who say that intel is just all hype and that amd is superior and cheaper but dang near all the reviews i read say that the new i7 and i5 2600k completely demolishes anything amd has out currently. This is from the reviews on newegg and just from random google searching. So what do you guys think?
Also for cooling... is liquid cooling superior to just getting a big honking fan?

okay so i work with 2 guys who say that intel is just all hype and that amd is superior and cheaper but dang near all the reviews i read say that the new i7 and i5 2600k completely demolishes anything amd has out currently. This is from the reviews on newegg and just from random google searching. So what do you guys think?
Also for cooling... is liquid cooling superior to just getting a big honking fan?

For video rendering, until the Bulldoozer (may be out, I have not looked in the padt couple months) comes out from AMD Intel is above and beyond AMD

Bulldozer is worth waiting for. It was to be out in October. Also an i7 does nothing for gaming, stick with an i5

Yes liquid cooling is winning.

Last edited:
The results from Bulldozer have been less than stellar from what I have gathered, but that happened with the Phenom as well. I'd wait till the next gen to pick one up. They fixed most of the issues with the Phenom when they pushed out the Phenom II, so I am hoping for similar this time around.

The general rule from my research is that Intel tends to win on performance, and AMD tends to win on price vs. performance. Since I am cheap and like things to perform well, I go with AMD. If I was less price conscious, I would go with Intel.

The general rule from my research is that Intel tends to win on performance, and AMD tends to win on price vs. performance. Since I am cheap and like things to perform well, I go with AMD. If I was less price conscious, I would go with Intel.

Pretty much that. I've always gone with AMD in the past because my research has indicated you get better bang for your buck with AMD processors.

My computer came with an i7. Although I know very little about that kind of stuff, I've never had a problem with any game on my end. Server issues are another story...

Even without doing any research on the matter I'd recommend going with an upper-end AMD processor (the Bulldozer if it isn't out already - I do know that much) over the equivalent offering from Intel.

My gaming PC I built for myself then sold to Icthus had a Phenom 9850x4 in it and ran like a champ (when Elader said AMD fixed the Phenom's problems with the Phenom II, I said "What problems?!" Seriously, it was that good.).

I can almost guarantee AMD will give you equivalent performance (you won't notice the difference) for less money so you can spend the money on something else, like more memory or a better video card.

Edit - Liquid cooling is nice, but I wouldn't say its a necessity. If you do it you've got to make sure you do it right (leaks tend to lead to horrible consequences) and be aware that it makes your computer much heavier.

Another edit: Honking fans are annoying. :D

Last edited:
Edit - Liquid cooling is nice, but I wouldn't say its a necessity. If you do it you've got to make sure you do it right (leaks tend to lead to horrible consequences) and be aware that it makes your computer much heavier.

Another edit: Honking fans are annoying. :D

Have you put together liquid cooling recently? Its no heavier then big fans, and they come all factory sealed up, there really is no worry of leaks.

My experience is from a few years ago (come to think of it, it was 6 year ago... wow). I have no doubt they'd have lost weight since then, but you're still adding water to an environment that is severely allergic to water.

To say there's no risk, or even a little risk of water is something I'd rather not say. If I'm going to blow close to a grand on a computer, I don't want to add the risk of frying it all with some water and then have the water cooling manufacturer say "Oops! Sorry." then not help me out at all by replacing the parts.

I'm not insinuating that you're wrong, you do more with computers than I do. What I am saying is that water cooling costs more (a few hundred), isn't necessary for even gaming use if I'm honest, and never adds up to being worth all the effort.

Last edited:
My experience is from a few years ago (come to think of it, it was 6 year ago... wow). I have no doubt they'd have lost weight since then, but you're still adding water to an environment that is severely allergic to water.

To say there's no risk, or even a little risk of water is something I'd rather not say. If I'm going to blow close to a grand on a computer, I don't want to add the risk of frying it all with some water and then have the water cooling manufacturer say "Oops! Sorry." then not help me out at all by replacing the parts.

I'm not insinuating that you're wrong, you do more with computers than I do. What I am saying is that water cooling costs more (a few hundred), isn't necessary for even gaming use if I'm honest, and never adds up to being worth all the effort.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015

Here is a typical water cooler. It is $73. (there is an Antec one for $54) It is super light and silent. They are self contained, pre-filled, and require no maintenance. I imagine if you totally torque the screws down you might be able to break something but then you probably just broke your motherboard anyways. There is lots of risk in general when building a PC. Static electricity is a killer, and you can screw things down wrong and short things out and drop parts inside the case and lots of things. You got to be careful and if you are adding a water cooler you need to be careful as well. I agree that adding water to the environment is scary. Yes there is some risk, just like having a PSU adds risk of it blowing up. In general it is really easy to setup and if you get a respectable name brand like Corsair you can be confident you are in good hands.

And of course, the only reason you would need such intense cooling on your CPU is if you are overclocking and/or unlocking cores. If you are doing this then you are already adding risk which this kind of cooling dramatically reduces, so it's a win in the end.

Last edited:
My experience was with a roommate who water cooled one of his PCs. There was a CPU cooler, a north bridge cooler, a video card cooler, reservoir, a huge radiator, a pump, and of course massive hoses everywhere (he even used Ford Motorcraft radiator fluid as the coolant...). That's what I think of when people say water cooling, haha. Not just a cpu block with two hoses and a radiator (putting the water pump in the cpu cooler block doesn't really make sense because the pump will generate heat - shouldn't it be separate?).

It cost him around $300 for all of that. Stock AMD cpu fans and heatsinks have never failed me.

Last edited:
haha now that is intense!

yeah you can totally water cool everything in there I guess. When he asked about it, I automatically just thought CPU as that is the common one. But you can water cool the ram the chips, just about everything and that would be crazy risky and expensive I'm sure.

Last edited:
xaveor i am wanting to yes!

and i think im gonna go with the intel to be totally honest. The price range in all honestly doesn't seem to terrible and i want something that will last so something with higher performance will give me more time till i need to upgrade atleast in my eyes.

Back