iPhone 5s vs 5c

Odale

So I want a new phone and the phones I'm really sort of looking at are in the title

Does anyone here have either of these iPhones?

What are your opinions? Is the iPhone 5c too childish with all it's colors? Is the iPhone 5s too snazzy (especially the gold one... honestly...)?

Thoughts?

I can't afford an upgrade right now, but from the research I've done the 5c is basically the 5 with a plastic case at the lower price point the old 5's would be at if they were still being produced (the old 5 will not be produced like the 4, 4s and will disappear as they dry up in the supply chain). The 5s is a significant upgrade with a more powerful processor, graphic co-processor, larger batter (still haven't heard about the battery life) and all the other bells and whistles.

As for the colors, yeah I'm not impressed with the 5c colors, looks like they are aimed at the more feminine crown. As for the 5s, the gold looks like it should belong to a pimp or a rap performer. If I could afford one I would get a 5s in black/gray.

Last edited:
obligatory Android plug.
Was waiting for it. I thought about posting "inb4 Android recommendation," but hesitated long enough to give Lloren first crack at it.

Everyone has their preferences, but I feel obligated to suggest considering the Nexus 4 (or Nexus 5, if you can wait) and a prepaid plan with a reputable MVNO.

I have a Galaxy Nexus on Straight Talk using AT&T towers (which is no longer an option, but AirVoice Wireless is) and pay considerably less than I would on a contract. I still <3 my phone, even though it's going on 2 years old now. I'll upgrade to whatever Nexus device is current when my current phone gives out, but I'm hoping that won't be for a long while yet.

Last edited:
the 5s scares me with that fingerprint thingy in the home button, the 5c.. plastic, nuff said.

I just got an iPhone5 (for free). While I don't like that Apple completely locks down their os's and apps, the simplicity of use compared to the "other" phones out there sold me. I may be a tech nerd, but my wife and mother-in-law aren't.

Wal-mart still might have some 5's.....

Last edited:
iPhone 5 is pretty slick. I used one for a couple weeks while I was traveling out of country and it works great (especially with iOS7). There were too many nice things I missed about Android though so I switched back to a MotoX since I've been home

44_523728cb0194a.jpg

Attachments

• 44_523728cb0194a.jpg
    44_523728cb0194a.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hahaha I lol'd.

But srsly, I currently have a Galaxy 2. It's pretty beat up, but it works and I can't knock it for anything the phone itself has done wrong. However... my carrier (Family Mobile) runs off of T-Mobile, a carrier that can't manage to get a signal to a phone through a piece of paper. Regardless of where I am, I likely have a poor signal (forget about a signal in a building, even if you go to a window).

So what I am really doing is wanting a better carrier, and the new iPhone 5 variants happened to catch my eye.

Last edited:
Hahaha I lol'd.

But srsly, I currently have a Galaxy 2. It's pretty beat up, but it works and I can't knock it for anything the phone itself has done wrong. However... my carrier (Family Mobile) runs off of T-Mobile, a carrier that can't manage to get a signal to a phone through a piece of paper. Regardless of where I am, I likely have a poor signal (forget about a signal in a building, even if you go to a window).

So what I am really doing is wanting a better carrier, and the new iPhone 5 variants happened to catch my eye.
You could keep the phone, get an AirVoice Wireless SIM card (which you can easily find on eBay for $0.99 shipped), and activate service on AirVoice (which uses AT&T towers). Looks like you wouldn't be the first to do it.

You'd likely need to root your S2 to switch carriers, but that should be (relatively) straightforward. There are even snazzy custom ROMs for the S2 to let you run Android 4.3.

I'm a frugal dude and I LOATHE contracts, so that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. Entirely up to you, though.

And I agree with Lloren. And Batman.

Last edited:
Well I ended up getting a yellow iPhone 5C. Yes, the screen is smaller, but that's the only thing the old Samsung has over this phone. I'd much rather have a smaller screen yet almost always get signal than otherwise.

The plastic is not a big deal I think. The old iPhone 3s were plastic and this one feels solid - not plasticy like a lot of android phones do.

However, I am with AT&T now... We'll see how that turns out.

I've been with att... thru 4 name changes and still have great service. even got my iPhone5 for free a few months ago.

Back