IRC problem

† Cup o Joe

I can't get into IRC because of the cross in my nickname, is there a way someone can please program alt + 0134 into the java for the chat?

Yep, that's more of a problem with either the IRC protocol itself or the server that our IRC channel is running one (gamesurge).

is there a way someone can please program alt + 0134 into the java for the chat?

Java uses uniicode to store characters, which is 16 bits per. That alt code is supported in UTF8 (8 bits) but not in ascii (which is the default in C and C++) which is 7 bits. Some clients get around this by setting a character set not supported by the server (but it will happily send the data along). However most IRC servers would limit the nickname to alphanumeric to prevent people, from say, inserting a line feed, bell or any number of other characters into their nickname.

Java uses uniicode to store characters, which is 16 bits per. That alt code is supported in UTF8 (8 bits) but not in ascii (which is the default in C and C++) which is 7 bits. Some clients get around this by setting a character set not supported by the server (but it will happily send the data along). However most IRC servers would limit the nickname to alphanumeric to prevent people, from say, inserting a line feed, bell or any number of other characters into their nickname.

VK.

He's smart. :p

/thread

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Back