Is Christmas still Christmas?

Also I think I came across something in the Bible concerning Christmas trees. Jeremiah 10:1-5 read it and let me know what you get out of that.

"Jews, don't get worked up about the Gentiles celebrating with decorated trees."
That's what it sounds like...

In any case, when I hear Christmas I think of winter and snow, not presents... Not that I need/want/get many presents...

No I don't think Jesus's birthday. It probably wasn't, anyway.
Besides, I'm sure the delicious feeling of winter time is a slight improvement to what I was brought up knowing [presents galore]...

Then again I have only been an actual Christian for ~3 years (I accepted Christ in December 2005 and was baptized January 1, 2006), even though I've lived for 17 and 3/4...
[Wow, I didn't know I've only invested that much of my life into Christianity... It feels like a much longer time.]

That brings me to the realization that as I developed Christianity I've started renouncing my need for material wealth; although I've been getting substantially fewer gifts, I'm actually quite pleased that I'm not getting anything.
Then again I rarely give gifts for holidays...

Last edited:
Or perhaps the meaning has become "participates in Christmas celebration"
with an added bonus for those who attend church for Christmas and Easter.

However, if you understood my personal interpretation of Christianity, you would not consider missing out on church all that important.
Consider Benjamin Franklin and other deists who believed that the whole plan was set in motion by God in the beginning. These are smart people you're talking about.
But that's a totally different conversation, and if you simply must speak about it, open a thread on it and force me to post...

Amicus Dei of [FoG];319934 said:
However, if you understood my personal interpretation of Christianity, you would not consider missing out on church all that important.
Consider Benjamin Franklin and other deists who believed that the whole plan was set in motion by God in the beginning. These are smart people you're talking about.
Deism is not the same as Christianity. While some deistic beliefs are compatible with Christianity, most contradict it. The most notable issues would be a denial of Jesus as God, a disbelief in all miracles and prophecy, and a rejection of all forms of divine revelation.

Amicus Dei of [FoG];319934 said:
Or perhaps the meaning has become "participates in Christmas celebration"
with an added bonus for those who attend church for Christmas and Easter.

But that's a totally different conversation, and if you simply must speak about it, open a thread on it and force me to post...

I don't like the idea of starting a thread for the purpose of debating your interpretation of Christianity. You're a young guy and I think your studies and life experiences will lead you into different understandings of the nature of God and your relationship with Him and with other people. For me, Jesus is some pretty strong evidence that God didn't intend to simply push the Earth into orbit and let whatever happen here happen. After all, Jesus taught the disciples to pray to God to "lead us not into temptation/deliver us from evil." Deists on the other hand do not believe that petitioning God can have any effect. Just something for you to consider. Especially after your recent account of how some important needs in your life were met. Was that a random coincidence? Because if you believe God was involved in that, you are not a deist.

Paul

Last edited:
Back