Is Evanescence Christian?

Weazel

I never thought they were. In fact, I found it surprising that they ever were classified as Christian, until after I found this link (Scroll down). So while some members claim to be Christian (Or did in the past) they seem to have said some questionable things.

From what i have heard, they have denied being a Christian band, but are themselves (either part or whole) Christian. Kinda like Creed in that regard - a band of Christians, just playing secular music.

Oh noes! It's Christian Rock Exposed! That site is laughable. Read their Carman section and their Newsboys section. You'll laugh. Someone involved in Carman's flyer made a gramatical error! THE MAN IS A HEATHEN! That site focuses on every sin any band has ever commited and therefore proves that they are associated with SATAN! It's pretty ridiculous. Even on the Evanescence one, you can see that they're only focusing on the negative. Their criticism of their cover of the song Tourniquet by Soul Embraced is quite absurd. They say that since they mentioned that Christ is their saviour in that song then OBVIOUSLY they're blaspheming His holy name. The main thing that article exposes to me is the closed-minded judgemental nature of the author.

The Article said:
She got that right! They are "HELL bent". There is no way the Holy Spirit of God EVER lead anyone to recommend Evanescence to Christian young people! Not in a million years!
Wow... Somebody needs to take a chill pill.

But anyway, all ranting aside, the band themselves say they're not a Christian band. Therefore, they're not. Some members may be Christians, but that doesn't make the band itself Christian.

Last edited:
Killerah said:
Oh noes! It's Christian Rock Exposed! That site is laughable. Read their Carman section and their Newsboys section. You'll laugh. Someone involved in Carman's flyer made a gramatical error! THE MAN IS A HEATHEN! That site focuses on every sin any band has ever commited and therefore proves that they are associated with SATAN! It's pretty ridiculous. Even on the Evanescence one, you can see that they're only focusing on the negative. Their criticism of their cover of the song Tourniquet by Soul Embraced is quite absurd. They say that since they mentioned that Christ is their saviour in that song then OBVIOUSLY they're blaspheming His holy name. The main thing that article exposes to me is the closed-minded judgemental nature of the author.

But anyway, all ranting aside, the band themselves say they're not a Christian band. Therefore, they're not. Some members may be Christians, but that doesn't make the band itself Christian.
I wasn't necessarily endorsing the validity of portions of that article, but I thought it'd be interesting to see someone else's point of view. =D

Killerah said:

Yeah, I know they're not a "Christian band," I'm asking more like, are they in fact, Christian as a few of their members have professed (Which I think is very debatable, especially since they have changed their viewpoints about certain things)?

I agree about the site, a lot of it is kind of rediculous.

^hah, what are you talking about that site is awsome!
condemning site said:
Discos were homosexual hell-holes of filth and perversion. Here is how secular writers describe “discos”:

Disco music is a “call for gays to come out of the closet.” (Newsweek, April 2, 1979 p. 63)
I would love to meet the author, ah so funny...

SirThom said:
I wasn't necessarily endorsing the validity of portions of that article, but I thought it'd be interesting to see someone else's point of view. =D
Yeah, I know, I just take every chance I get to rant about that article. It's ridiculous and one-sided.

Well, they (evanescence) have cursed in interviews before. Of course, this doesn't directly correlate to their proposed religiousness, but it may provide a certain insight.

I don't listen to them because I don't like pop.

I curse way more than I should but that doesn't mean I'm not a Christian. I also think that asking whether they are Christians or not is a question we can't answer. The only people that know for sure are the band members and God.

One of the found members founded a new band in his spare time from being a praise and worship leader in Little Rock. They're called Trading Yesterday and are awesome. I highly suggest checking them out. As for my opinion, I've read numerous times that the band members claim to be Christians, but they do not consider themselves part of the Christian music scene.

I found the quote I was looking for:

"We're actually high on the Christian charts, and I'm like, 'What the f*** are we even doing there?"
-Ben Moody of Evanescence, Entertainment Weekly interview, 18 April 2003

Here's an article on it.

As a Christian who writes non-religious music, I can sort of sympathize with the annoyance they may have with their Christian fans' high expectations of them. What I totally DON'T understand is why they are so frustrated that they're high on the Christian charts. If a bunch of Christians like your music, even if you personally aren't a Christian, it still seems to me that you'd be happy your music was popular among a variety of people. And if you WERE Christian it would only make you happier. The fact that they actually seem DISPLEASED that their music is successful among Christian listeners is what bothers me.

Last edited:
Him saying that doesn't necessarily mean he's displeased with the fact. He could be trying to express surprise.
kraniac said:
I don't listen to them because I don't like pop.
I'm with you there though, I used to be a fan back when I really didn't have any taste in music, now I can't say I'm so much of a fan. Pop is generally annoying stuff.

Yeah, the part I found interesting, from the site I linked in my first post:

Christianity Today article said:
Moody also says: "I'm not ashamed of my spiritual beliefs, but I in no way incorporate them into this band."

Hmmm. That's odd, considering Moody's statement in a 2000 interview with Stranger Things Magazine: "The message we as a band want to convey more than anything is simple—God is Love. He is a just God, but a gracious God."

He added in that interview: "We hope to express in our music that Christianity is not a rigid list of rules to follow only out of fear of an unseen deity who will strike you down at any given moment if you fail. I am a Christian. I still have fears. I still have pain. I still have sorrow. I wouldn't be alive if I didn't. The beautiful thing about my relationship with God is that he understands all that and he has shown me what life is really for. We write songs about things that happen in life. All of our songs are not about rainbows and sunshine. Sometimes it rains. Who can we help if we won't even talk about it?"

But the thing is, it apparently isn't cursing, as seen in this quote:

Christianity Today article said:
Moody says, "We're actually high on the Christian charts, and I'm like, 'What the f--- are we even doing there?'" The interview with Moody and lead singer Amy Lee is strewn with obscene language and taking of the Lord's name in vain.

Even more confounding is in this same year (2003), Moody left the band.

Anyway, what I actually want to know is how would you classify them? Are they goth? Satanic? Pop? ...I really don't know.

Even if Evanescence was a Christian band, why would Christians be so eager to claim them as one of their own? They're not that good. It's baffling why Christians are so desperate to claim mediocre, cookie-cutter bands. This isn't the first instance of such claims and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Instead of being so bent on claiming Evanescence as Christian, why don't we recognize music from Christian labels that not only has more spiritual worth but more aesthetic value?

If we won't applaud our own, then why don't we at least attempt to claim more talented artists? I've heard more fuss about Creed's possible Christian lyrics than Eric Clapton. Eric Clapton, people. Ever listened to "Presence of the Lord"? "You Were There"? The man is a legend--he made an album with B.B. King, and we're going ga-ga over Creed?

And what about Bono? The man is so blatantly Christian (heard "Beautiful Day"?) and yet it seems that Christians are more eager to claim POD than U2. (I suppose there's no accounting for taste.)

Another question: Why are Christians not addressing social issues? And I mean addressing, not spouting uninformed and overgeneralized whining.

On to the main question, which we keep re-visiting: What makes a band "Christian"?

Last edited:
Tek7 said:
Why are Christians not addressing social issues? And I mean addressing, not spouting uninformed and overgeneralized whining.

I'm guessing with that question, you're talking about songs like "If We are the Body" and such. I'd suggest you take a look at Todd Agnew's new album, and possibly Casting Crowns' new one as well about addressing social issues. If that's not what you mean, how would you like to see these bands, or Christians in general, addressing these issues, and what issues should we be addressing?

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
I'm guessing with that question, you're talking about songs like "If We are the Body" and such.
Nay. I've actually never heard of that song. I had a specific secular track in mind, but I'll keep that track's title to myself.

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
If that's not what you mean, how would you like to see these bands, or Christians in general, addressing these issues, and what issues should we be addressing?
Oy, that's a loaded question. I can't give a long answer to that short question without quite a bit of thought, but I can tell you what I do like.

I've seen that Christian musicians are capable of addressing important issues in tracks such as DC Talk's "What Have We Become?" and the Newsboys' "Elle G." and "Lost the Plot." There are other tracks, but those are the first that come to mind.

I think the question of what makes a band "Christian" is a particularly interesting one.

Most bands that can be found on Christian Radio it appears, sing about matters of their faith pretty overtly. These bands include Newsboys, Casting Crowns, and Third Day.

Other bands are subtle concerning faith when it comes to their lyrical approach. I've seen many interviews where these bands state that they're trying to reach the lost (Cynics would contend that they're just trying to reap the rewards of mainstream success). Bands that could be counted upon as taking the "subtle" approach include Switchfoot and P.O.D.

Then you've got bands who have spent time in both camps. Skillet, Pillar, and Relient K all have albums where they're rather conspicuous about their faith. However, if you pick up their most recent releases, they've all entered the "vague" camp. Even Christian stalwarts such as Third Day (with Wire) and Delirious? (with World Service) have played with both approaches.

You've also got bands who state that their band members are Christians, but they aren't a Christian band. These bands include Anberlin and the soon to be defunct Further Seems Forever.

For me, I don't really care what the band labels itself as. As long as I dig and relate with the music they play, I'll listen to them. I think one band that I've had questions about as of late is Switchfoot, a band a love. I recently picked up their latest release, "Nothing is Sound", and I'm a little disturbed by it. I don't see the optimism I saw in "New Way to be Human" and "Learning to Breathe." You can point to songs like "The Setting Sun" and "The Shadow Proves the Sunshine" all you want, but that doesn't change the tone present in "The Fatal Wound" and others. It's almost as if Switchfoot's cyncism and disgust of American culture seems to threaten to swallow them whole. To me, "Nothing is Sound" gives off a defeatist attitude at certain points, nearly embracing nihilism.

It's interesting, as I've read articles by CCM Magazine and Christian Music Planet that have lauded "Nothing is Sound", where as Plugged-In Online questioned the direction of "Nothing Is Sound". That article can be found here. http://www.pluggedinonline.com/thisweekonly/a0002408.cfm

Anyway, I'm aware that many bands on the Christian music scene are "retreading" material musically. I don't really care though. As long as they're lyrically relevant with their music, I'm game.

Tek7 said:
Even if Evanescence was a Christian band, why would Christians be so eager to claim them as one of their own? They're not that good. It's baffling why Christians are so desperate to claim mediocre, cookie-cutter bands. This isn't the first instance of such claims and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Instead of being so bent on claiming Evanescence as Christian, why don't we recognize music from Christian labels that not only has more spiritual worth but more aesthetic value?

If we won't applaud our own, then why don't we at least attempt to claim more talented artists? I've heard more fuss about Creed's possible Christian lyrics than Eric Clapton. Eric Clapton, people. Ever listened to "Presence of the Lord"? "You Were There"? The man is a legend--he made an album with B.B. King, and we're going ga-ga over Creed?

And what about Bono? The man is so blatantly Christian (heard "Beautiful Day"?) and yet it seems that Christians are more eager to claim POD than U2. (I suppose there's no accounting for taste.)

Another question: Why are Christians not addressing social issues? And I mean addressing, not spouting uninformed and overgeneralized whining.

On to the main question, which we keep re-visiting: What makes a band "Christian"?
Because I don't think the faith of U2, Creed, POD or some others is as ambiguious or questionable as Evanescence. Posting a topic, 'is Bono Christian?' would probably be pretty one-sided, I'd think.

Anyway, I have not listened to him yet, but from I read, Derek Webb (Formerly of Caedmon's Call) has many challenging lyrics.

Back