Is internet community enough?

My personal thoughts are that if you're going to be judging the success or failure of your relationships by whether or not your personal needs are getting met by them, you're not likely to be very successful in them no matter what venue you're pursuing it in.

The purpose of most any community is to pool inspiration, labor, and resources together toward a common goal that's bigger than oneself, not to ensure each individual member's personal happiness. So when you go approaching them from the point of view of what they can do for you, you're actually going against the spirit of community and pretty much bound to be frustrated and disappointed in the results.

If you're not feeling satisfied that your social needs are being met, you need to put forth the initiative and effort to make some friends, not join an organization expecting it to freely provide this to you without requiring a commitment of personal involvement on your part. Whether you make your friends online or in your neighborhood or whatever, I don't think it matters, as I don't think it's the communication method that's at fault, but a lack of commitment to build constructive bridges with people before expecting them to meet personal demands.

Back