Is it truly ready????

Nazereth

Probably like most of you, I too participated in the giant weekend beta last weekend. I rolled a Jedi Knight and went Guardian, I got all the way up to level 21.

I was in love with the game instantly especially the storyline and having a companion. I chose, Artifice, Archeology and Treasure Hunting for my Crew Skills, which were pretty easy to level, especially with the companions.

Now, to be honest with you. I found that the game was sooooooo buggy. Had alot of glitches and it's supposed to come out in less than 2 weeks? I truly felt like I was playing a "beta" game, that's no where close to being finished in 3 weeks! I mean, if the latest build is going to be close to the finished project, I believe they should wait a few more weeks, if not a few months to fix it up some more.

Now being able to read some of the Testing forums, this poster by the name of Nautix, makes alot of valid points with the game the way it is now. I'm going to post his views, although I do agree with some of what he says, it still will not deter me from purchasing this game and being an advent player and subscriber.

*WARNING: The following threads talk negatively about the game.*

Although I don't completely agree with all of the views the OP makes about the game..I must say that he does make a "few" valid points.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=679630

Last edited:
I have been reading this guys stuff for months now. I went back and forth with Grim over some of it in PMs. Some of it is very valid, more so a few builds ago but still currently as well. The thing that matters, however is each build the game has gotten more and more fun. Bioware is polishing it up nicely and it seems each patch bumps the fun factor. I think the uber hardcore like ths guy don't enjoy MMOs the same as most people. The go to work on them and dissect/min/max and get stomach ulcers from playing.

The game is not innovative , it's playing it safe. It is no GW2 for the genre, but it is Star Wars and it is Bioware, the game will be very entertaining and let you get immersed. If you look at the game from a world first Wow raider like this guy you see lots to be negative about. If you look at it from the lense of a bunch of Christians who love MMOs and Star Wars and are playing together nightly, you can see many months of good times ahead.

Is it ready for launch? Sure, a lot more than many MMOs and less than others. It will be a decent launch, nothing record setting in smoothness but typical. They will see a big cash bomb and hopefully get to work on patches ASAP.

Last edited:
The fact that WoW at launch was not perfect, and had plenty of issues. WoW was made better with time. I know most who play WoW right now are not aware of the issues we had a launch but there were plenty of issues.

I think SWTOR was a bit further along then WoW was at its launch time. IMO

In many ways I agree with what he is saying, and I do think WoW was more prepared and polish at launch. The community is what makes an MMO truly enjoyable though, so if we find ways to have fun together I think we will have a great time.

Regardless of what someone else says... What I've played of it I loved and I can't ignore that. In hindsight, I'm really glad I was never part of beta because I would have burned out to the fact that i lose my character. I loved my level 12 smuggler from the weekend and already plan to remake him as an alt.

Is it truly ready? As you see from any mmo (and part of their beauty) is the ability to patch and add-on. Everquest used to release expansions before they finished creating the back-end content and would simply make a boss-fight impossible that was necessary for progression. Their incompleteness was only discovered when a super awesome guild actually beat one of the encounters that was supposed to be too hard and they couldn't move through the portal or something.

My final point is this... I had fun and I want to play for real sooner than i would later. They can finish what's missing and broken while I enjoy everything else that's is exceptionally entertaining without losing my player to the beta void.

In many ways I agree with what he is saying, and I do think WoW was more prepared and polish at launch. The community is what makes an MMO truly enjoyable though, so if we find ways to have fun together I think we will have a great time.

Really you think so??? WoW has graphical glitches, and 2 hour ques. It had loot failures and bags that would randomly delete all the items, I remeber the launch of WoW as being very buggy and had many issues. Its been a while and I may be mixing up with something else, but as I sit and think about this, it had some major issues I think...

Anyways no worries, I think its close enough and I did hear that they did start using a different build this last weekend for the regular daily testers. I have not yet heard how that new build has gone this weekend.

Really you think so??? WoW has graphical glitches, and 2 hour ques. It had loot failures and bags that would randomly delete all the items, I remeber the launch of WoW as being very buggy and had many issues. Its been a while and I may be mixing up with something else, but as I sit and think about this, it had some major issues I think...

Anyways no worries, I think its close enough and I did hear that they did start using a different build this last weekend for the regular daily testers. I have not yet heard how that new build has gone this weekend.

It was 7 years ago so maybe my memories are just fuzzy, but in my mind at least, wow was by far the smoothest mmo launch I've ever been a part of. Of course the game is vastly more complex and innovative today than it was then, and in some ways we are probably holding tor to the standard of current wow, not launch wow, which is unfair.

It was 7 years ago so maybe my memories are just fuzzy, but in my mind at least, wow was by far the smoothest mmo launch I've ever been a part of. Of course the game is vastly more complex and innovative today than it was then, and in some ways we are probably holding tor to the standard of current wow, not launch wow, which is unfair.

>_< In the 100s of MMO launches I have attended...WoW had one of the WORST launches... I remember nothing but headaches for WEEKS...possibly even months...

Yeah WoW launch was pretty bad. But as in all MMO launches, they have 30 days to get it right. If the game is patched up and the queues are gone and people are playing before their free 30 days are up, then we all tend to forget how bad it was.

This will be my first mmo launch. I am excite.

Rift launch was a total blast, we had 8 ppl in Teamspeak and had at least 1 full group leveling together for about 12 hours straight. (I got lucky and wife and kids were out of town for the launch)

This is going to be the first time I'm playing at launch time too, I'm pretty excited and love my wife for giving me leave to take vacation from work and lock myself in my home office for a couple days. :)

If you look at it from the lense of a bunch of Christians who love MMOs and Star Wars and are playing together nightly, you can see many months of good times ahead.

Amen Brother! This is why I decided to leave my friends who are constantly negative nancy's, and join a crowd of other believers.

I didn't see many bugs when I played, though.. A few lag spikes in pvp, noticed some music playing out of sync (Kept playing after exiting a warzone)...

I'm a vanilla WoW player, and at launch it was Terrible!! I'm 100% confident that SWTOR will blow that out of the water...

This is going to be the first time I'm playing at launch time too, I'm pretty excited and love my wife for giving me leave to take vacation from work and lock myself in my home office for a couple days. :)

Dude! My wife is totally letting me have a starwars day at launch too.. The only problem is that I just recently changed jobs and have no Time off accrued at this point ahhh!!!! The force may not be with me on the 15th, or at least just not in the morning...

I could, however, say I'm convulsively vomitting and have bad diarrhea... Then maybe i'll see you in the morning. :-0

Last edited:
But as in all MMO launches, they have 30 days to get it right.

Not really, that's what the beta is for. Just because the game can be patched whenever the developer needs it to be patched does not mean the developer can be lax about its quality. You are right about the WoW launch - it was pretty terrible. The only other launch that was just as bad was the Warhammer launch - it wasn't buggy... just terribly incomplete.

All that being said, I think SWTOR is much better off than either WoW or Warhammer. The game might be missing some portions that will be added later, but it is not missing entire areas (Attention Mythic: read that as not missing 4 racial capital cities.... you bums), nor are things disappearing from my bags or 500 hour queues (the queues are understandable though).

I'm really glad I didn't get into the SW full beta because the content would not be a surprise to me after launch. I am definitely remaking my Imperial Agent and my Inquisitor.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it should be that way (its lazy on the developers for sure), just saying that a gamers attention span makes it allowable. As long as we are playing and having fun, we forget what happened weeks before. (when we were in long queues and fighting bugs) We even talk about it like it was a right of passage.

lolWARbeta.

I still loved the game, even if it had missing teeth, a unibrow, and walked like a duck. But even I tire of bad.

Back