Is this card any good?

plus im not sure u have a pci express card. whats ur price range, and how old is ur mobo?

my comp is fine 512 + 128 = 640 ram everything is perfect on my comp except i burned out a winfast nvidia card so we got ripped off and paid like 50$ for a radeon 7000 -_- and it barly plays HL2... as for price range umm well 60$ tops see i dont wnat anything great just something that is at least direct x 8 compatibility and radeon +8500 i want something in the 9000s...

I have a radeon 9600 Pro, and it just barely gets by on hl2 with everything cranked up all the way, so, a radeon 9800, or even a 9700 would work good for like 120$.

I have a PCI-express 16x Geforce 6600GT (128mb, 560mhz OC'ed core clock, 1.12ghz OC'ed memory speed) and it handles cs source and hl2 at about 80-100fps on 1280x1024x32 on max settings except AA and AF. When i turn on 4x AA and AF, i drop to 65-80 fps. Just to give you a rough estiment, but then i paid almost $200 for it.

That must be a fairly new pre built computer, or a recent custom built comp to have a PCI express 16x slot in it (recent as i mean, within the last year when PCIE came out)?

Oh, BTW, your sig MASH, I'm almost 19 and never touched the junk.

I have a radeon 9600 Pro, and it just barely gets by on hl2 with everything cranked up all the way

:confused:

I'm using Radeon 9550 256 MB and my HL2 works quite good...40-70 fps.
What are you fps(frames per second), MASH 4077?

HL2

HL2: DM

CS:S

CS(1.6)

The CS screenshots looks so alike, LOL. :D

I have a PCI-express 16x Geforce 6600GT (128mb, 560mhz OC'ed core clock, 1.12ghz OC'ed memory speed) and it handles cs source and hl2 at about 80-100fps on 1280x1024x32 on max settings except AA and AF.

OC'ed, you mean, OverClocked, right, Talon?

Does that give your PC are lesser life expandency?

Last edited:
Corpfox said:
OC'ed, you mean, OverClocked, right, Talon?

Does that give your PC are lesser life expandency?
Yes, its Over clocked. It technically gives my graphics card a shorter life span, but i dont care, cause i'll prolly end up with a new PC or laptop with my left over tuition money after this year of school :) The extra 10 fps in source and hl2 are worth it.

No AA or AF on:

4x AA and 4x AF:

8x AA and 16x AF:

What are you fps(frames per second), MASH 4077?
I am not sure, i know they must be good tho, everything is cranked up, and it runs smooth, only thing that is making it run slow is my slow DSL, so, the g-card works good, its just my internet :( cus hl2 runs like a dream.

O yeah, and with my cs, i have blood turned off, (turn off decals), it seems the bullet holes still appear, but, the blood is gone, so, it works great. I just dont care for alot of blood in cs source.

I am not sure, i know they must be good tho, everything is cranked up, and it runs smooth, only thing that is making it run slow is my slow DSL, so, the g-card works good, its just my internet cus hl2 runs like a dream.

In HL2/CS:S/CS in-game, type on console (~): net_graph 1

It would show how your vid card is running under CS/CS:S/HL2/HL2: DM/ etc.

that depends on a few factors. The amount of reduction of degredation can be form a total elimination of dgredation to quick degredation.
1. can you cool it properly? If so the degredation is reduced.
2. how far above spec are you running hte components?
3. has hte card been designed to be oc'ed?

etc, etc.

When you OC'ed the graphics card, which is it: Performance or Quality?

Could I do a test OC'ed on my vid card without any problems? I'm not a trained professonal, but mine seems to be easy to OC'ed. My meter says, Balanced, which is in the middle between Performance and Quality. I assume Performance increases the speed of your vid card and Quality increases the look of your vid card?

hescominsoon said:
that depends on a few factors. The amount of reduction of degredation can be form a total elimination of dgredation to quick degredation.
1. can you cool it properly? If so the degredation is reduced.
2. how far above spec are you running hte components?
3. has hte card been designed to be oc'ed?

etc, etc.

For my system, gpu doesnt get over 75 C, idels 45 C, way cooler than my lappy graphics.
For my card, i'm running 112% gpu core clock (stock 500mhz, OC 560mhz) and memory is also 112% clock (stock 1ghz, OC 1.12ghz)

When you OC'ed the graphics card, which is it: Performance or Quality?

Image settings are on High quality (maxed).

My meter says, Balanced, which is in the middle between Performance and Quality. I assume Performance increases the speed of your vid card and Quality increases the look of your vid card?
Negative. thats image settings which include AA, AF and v sync. Has nothing to do with OCing or clocks. A possible feature on your card might include auto overclocking, not sure, mine does (but i manual OC)

we got ripped off and paid like 50$ for a radeon 7000 -_- and it barly plays HL2... as for price range umm well 60$ tops see i dont wnat anything great just something that is at least direct x 8 compatibility and radeon +8500 i want something in the 9000s...
Those cards are 4x AGP, not PCI-express 16x BTW. :)

Last edited:
With everything turned up accept AA, vertical sync, and oo, whats the other one lol. I get from like 30-60 FPS. most of the time its like a 47 or a 51.

as for price range umm well 60$ tops see i dont wnat anything great just something that is at least direct x 8 compatibility and radeon +8500 i want something in the 9000s...

With a PCI-E, it will be hard to find a cheap vid card.

Maybe this one you would like:

http://www.eglobalonline.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=9833

There are cheaper and are ATI's, but has SE.

http://www.eglobalonline.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=9761

Negative. thats image settings which include AA, AF and v sync. Has nothing to do with OCing or clocks. A possible feature on your card might include auto overclocking, not sure, mine does (but i manual OC)

So, if I manually change those settings which isnt part of OCing, will it work, or will it crash?

Last edited:
Corpfox said:
So, if I manually change those settings which isnt part of OCing, will it work, or will it crash?
As long as you arent messing with OC controls or clocks, messing with graphics wont matter. If you manually turn on AA or AF, or turn up the image quality to max, wont hurt card any, just make the image look better but drop fps.

Back