Jailbreak

Shagz

Hey guys, I downloaded the Jailbreak mod over the weekend. I have to say, this mod is good enough to be it's own game type on the UT2004 base install, it's that polished. An assortment of great maps, a cool game type, and a really hype HUD. No additional models or graphics, but it's still ace.

For those who aren't familar with the Jailbreak game type, it's been around for a while in various forms and games. I'm not sure who had it first, but Q3 and Classic UT both have versions of Jailbreak available to them.

Basically it's a modified version of Team DM. You play against an opposing team and try to frag them. Once fragged, a player goes to the opposing teams "jail", where they cool their heels until either their entire team is captured or else one of their teammates activates a "release switch" which gets them out of jail. If the entire team is captured, they are executed (in a number of different ways, depending on the map) and the opposing team scores a point.

In jail, the game isn't always over. You can do lots of things, ranging from the silly (you can use your sheild gun to frag each other with no penalty to score), to inactive (using any of the jail cell cameras to watch your teammates play in the main arena, or looking at the scoreboard map screen and observing where your teammates are moving in the map) to the active (in some maps, you can escape the jail by working together, stacking on top of each other to reach an escape route). Sometimes, you can also "Fight for your freedom" in random 1-on-1 matches with a player in your team's jail cell. Whoever wins goes back into the game with a Beserk Power-up.

And if you don't have a good 'net connection, not a big deal, because the bots are actually very very smart and one of them will come and free you while the others defend your release switch or go sweeping for other players. At least most of the time they will. You can also control general tactics for your bot commrads with a couple of button pushes. You have two buttons you can use to cycle up and down through 5 dispositions for your bots in how they play, ranging from lockdown (on the very defensive side), defensive, neutral, offensive, and suicidal. Set this give your bots general orders, complete with a graphic in the HUD telling you what you're set at. No silly bot menu commands to navigate through.

At any rate, this is a top notch mod, highly recommended.

It's installed and running great. Pretty cool too. As you get killed you go to jail and it's up to your teammates to unlock the cell by running through the suspended lock.

Make sure you check out the map screen/score board while in game - I really like how they put a a 2D version of the map in there and your teammates are mapped out, showing you where they are.

It's pretty good, however it can get boring when you've jailed all but one of the enemy and he insists on playing "hide and seek".

Other than that it's great.
biggrin.gif

I've installed the mod and I'm itching to try it out! Hit me up on IM or search for that famous [toj.cc] tag whenever you play. I'm hoping to spend a few hours tonight gaming, if all goes well and I can catch up on administrative duties.

Back