Jan 30th 2005

rizz

Reading
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Ephesians 2:4-10 (NRSV)
But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved-- and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God-- not the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.

Devotional
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
-Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)

WHEN I ran in the Boston Marathon, I was disappointed with my finish time. I had experienced some problems in the race; and although I crossed the finish line, I had struggled. I had worked hard in previous races in order to qualify for the race in Boston; but once there, I didn't match or exceed my best time.

The other day as I read Ephesians 2:10, I realized that I am meant not to run perfect races but to do God's work. God's goal is not my goal of reaching a personal-best running time. God's goal is that I serve others and glorify God. As John 15:8 exclaims, "This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."

As I put aside my disappointment about the race in Boston, I think about why God has given me life. It is not to run fast races (although that is not a bad thing) but to do God's work and to serve others. All this is so that God, not I, may be glorified.

Jim Phelan (Mississippi, U.S.A.)

Prayer
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Prayer
God, as we run the course of life, we give thanks that you run beside us. Let our goal be always to serve and honor you. May we do your will, and may all our works glorify you and not ourselves. Amen.

Thought for the Day
God doesn't care how fast or how far we run, but only that we are faithful.

Prayer Focus

Athletes

Back