July 7th, 2005

.se3ker.

Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.

-Luke 11:4 (NIV)

FOR me, driving in traffic is an ongoing challenge to answer God's call to forgive and be gracious to others. When another driver ignores a yield sign and races to cut me off, I don't always just relax and let the other car go ahead. But when I do, I experience a brief sense of calm satisfaction. When I don't, I am aware of my failure to always "forgive everyone who sins against [me]."

I wish Jesus had not worded this part of the Lord's Prayer as he did. In fact, I have begun to add to my praying of the Lord's Prayer this request: "Please help me be more forgiving today than I have been." I have noticed that since I began praying this way, I am regularly reminded of my need to be more forgiving -- especially when I am driving. These experiences assure me that God is answering my prayer whenever I am alert to the way the Holy Spirit nudges me through everyday events.

James Ross (Texas, USA)
Prayer:
Dear God, thank you for reminding us through ordinary, daily events that in order to know your forgiveness we must forgive others. Amen.

Back