July 8th, 2005

.se3ker.

Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.

-Psalm 31:5 (NRSV)

SEVERAL years ago I was diagnosed with a serious illness. Since then, I have not been able to do many of the things I did in the past. I have to live with the illness; there is no known cure, only treatment. But with prescribed medication, my life is almost normal.

On many occasions, I have railed against God because of my misfortune; I have asked, "Why me?"

About five years after I was diagnosed, I took a turn for the worse. My doctor immediately hospitalized me. This hospitalization was very difficult for me emotionally, but in the midst of my struggle I realized that God was not at fault for my situation. On the contrary, God was giving me strength to go through the latest challenge and to live a full life in spite of my illness. I improved and was able to return home.

I learned that God provides what we need to work through our challenges and the strength to forge ahead.

Marcela Matilde Meza Lizama (Santiago, Chile)
Prayer:
Dear God, give us faith to remember that you protect and bless us always, guiding our steps on the path to righteousness. Amen.

Back