June 29th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Hey, I'm Open!

From [Christ] the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

-Ephesians 4:16 (NIV)

MY son had a great first day at basketball camp; however, the second day he came home discouraged. "I didn't make any baskets today," he said. "Two kids on my team just passed the ball to each other, and nobody else got a chance. I was wide open under the basket, too."

Like the two players on my son's team, in churches we sometimes fall into a pattern of involving the same people or working only within one small, familiar group. We may not see a newcomer who longs to be included but has never been asked or a shy person who has attended the church for years but is afraid to volunteer his or her talents.

On the other hand, if I am one of the people who is called upon, I have to guard against thinking, I'm not good enough, or, They don't really want me to help. Perhaps I need to be bolder in showing others I am open to serving. It's not God's plan for a few people and the pastor to do it all. The church needs all members of the body working together in ministry and mission.

Cathy Wesolek (New Mexico, U.S.A.)

Prayer
Lord, help us to be open to discovering our spiritual gifts and to use them to serve you within the body of Christ. Amen.

Back