Just a thought...

So my brother and I are getting back into WoW. I've had a huge itch to PvP and so far this expansion is far more exciting than Cataclysm.

Now I've been pondering something recently. As most of you know, Stonemaul is dwindling and pretty much dead. I was sitting in Stormwind around 6pm (PST) and there was no one in sight. I checked to see who was on from Redeemed... Only 1 person. No one posting in trade chat and none of my auctions were selling on the AH. I watch a lot of the WoW streams on Twitch and most of them are on Darkspear so I decided to check out the server. Man there was so much activity! It felt like I was back to Vanilla and BC when there was people EVERYWHERE.

So my thought is... What do you think about doing a guild transfer? I know it cost money, but I think if Redeemed ever wants to be rebuilt it will need a transfer.

Thoughts?

Definitely something to consider. On the con side, we would lose most of our current active members. On the pro side, we could probably recruit quite a bit more. I really hate to say "pay for a transfer or get out" to our members, but it may be what's best for the guild. If it did come to this, I'd load up Flame with all my stuff and heirlooms and only transfer him. I hate to pay for a service that Blizzard should be offering for free though.

Definitely something to consider. On the con side, we would lose most of our current active members. On the pro side, we could probably recruit quite a bit more. I really hate to say "pay for a transfer or get out" to our members, but it may be what's best for the guild.
You could always leave the "old" Redeemed available for members as well.

If it did come to this, I'd load up Flame with all my stuff and heirlooms and only transfer him. I hate to pay for a service that Blizzard should be offering for free though.
I already transfered my hunter. I loaded him up with all my gold and items and moved. I'm huge into PvP so the move was a no brainer for me. So far the transfer has been great. The game is a lot more enjoyable with a lot of people around.

Oh gosh, that is right, its only 1 toon per, and it is fairly expensive...Ugg.
It is $25 for the transfer.

I don't think leaving the guild behind is an option. We'd be leaving all the achievements, guild level, and guild bank behind too.

By leaving the old Redeemed behind, I assumed you meant leaving the existing guild on Stonemaul and starting a new Redeemed from scratch on another server.
No, I more meant leaving it behind as in the name for anyone that is still on Stonemaul and doesn't want to transfer.

Not gonna lie. The thought of Blizzard making money because of their daft stubbornness to merge realms instead of losing it raises my blood pressure.

The more I read about this "service," the angrier I get.

I think this is a bad idea as it only rewards Blizzard's refusal to merge realms. Realm mergers are the obvious solution to many issues that face low population realms.

Server merges helped in SWTOR. It can help in WoW, too.

EDIT: Moving the guild off Stonemaul would also place undue pressure on our few remaining active members to pony up $25 per character they want to bring along. I know I would refuse to transfer solely on principle and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same, though I only speak for myself.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie. The thought of Blizzard making money because of their daft stubbornness to merge realms instead of losing it raises my blood pressure.

The more I read about this "service," the angrier I get.

I think this is a bad idea as it only rewards Blizzard's refusal to merge realms. Realm mergers are the obvious solution to many issues that face low population realms.

Server merges helped in SWTOR. It can help in WoW, too.

EDIT: Moving the guild off Stonemaul would also place undue pressure on our few remaining active members to pony up $25 per character they want to bring along. I know I would refuse to transfer solely on principle and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same, though I only speak for myself.

This is my main problem with it. The money is not a big deal, it's the principle of paying them to do something they should be doing for free. However, my game experience is seriously suffering because of it.

I like the guild transfer idea.... are they offering free transfers from our server yet?

If this would happen I would not transfer. I am currently on a Blizzard gets none of my money kick.

I might do a free to play just to visit.

My apologies for my previous post. Nothing raises my blood pressure more quickly than the exploitation of others, but I could have been less caustic about it.

I still hold that Blizzard's refusal to merge low population servers and advertising realm transfer and guild transfer services is indeed exploitation.

Think of it this way: Many, many people have quit WoW to play other games. Are you one of the few remaining customers on a low population server? Instead of being grateful and treating you with respect, Blizzard requires you to spend $25 per character--an exorbitant rate for moving data--to move to a higher population server.

There's no way I can look at this situation that doesn't look like Blizzard exploiting loyal customers.

I would welcome a change of server except I recently got my core group of friends to get back on and play... and convinced them all to play on stonemaul. Doubt they'd go for the $25 to change servers.

Check this out. Just when you thought Blizzard couldn't get any more ridiculous with this, it turns out not everyone can transfer. Part of what I quoted below means that if you are on a low pop server, they may not even let you transfer off, essentially sentencing you to a dead server forever.

From their Character Transfer FAQ
Why would a specific realm not be eligible to send or receive characters?
A realm may not be eligible as a Character Transfer source or destination for several reasons, including:

The realm is over or under populated.
The realm has not been active for a sufficient period of time.
We may be reviewing the realm as a free character migration source or destination.

Technically stonemaul is med-pop so that thankfully wouldn't be an issue here.
I noticed Stonemaul was listed as Medium population last time I checked. Not even a month ago, it was Low population. The suspicious part of me wonders if Blizzard adjusted the threshold for Low population numbers so fewer realms would be allowed as free migration destinations (thus decreasing the number of free transfers).

Last edited:
Back