Kara

Angus_Og

Yeah yeah yeah, yall have heard it all before. Ron and I are thinking of starting up a Kara run. Before I/we go forward I am curious who all are interested.

Day and time suggestions are accepted, but would like to keep it between Monday and Thursday.

Also remember that we have both East and West coasters to consider.

both groups running right now are having problems getting enough healers or dps or even tanks, so y not join one of them?

I have a healer or tank ... or dps, hmmmm and I'm available to anyone when I'm available, if that makes any sense.

I have a healer, a healer, a undergeared moonkin who will prolly be respecced as a healer and a hunter :) I'm also available if and when I'm available :). If you actually choose a time and night I may be able to make myself available. Honestly, on a weeknight I think Tuesday nights probably work best for both Adam and I to be there unless you start really late (which I know you won't because of Easterners). I think Mondays and Wednesdays are out for Adam to start early (early being 6:30ish st) and Thursdays would be completely out for me. I am only willing to come once during the week but could do a second run on the weekend to finish up if that's what a group would choose to do.

Here is another possibility, if it looks like the interest in Kara is going down what about ZA? With ZA we would have to be a little more picky about the level of player we take through, they would have to already be Kara geared.

I've been thinking about seeing if there's interest in a ZA run too. I wouldn't say that you need to be full kara geared (at least not for the bear and eagle bosses) but a combination of the best badge gear/kara gear + good blues definitely.

I'm a regular on an sga run Saturday nights so something midweek (monday/tuesday/thursday) would work best for me. Once in a while the 3 day timer would have me locked into either run, but for the most part I'd be able to do both runs w/o a problem.

In answer to Rhys - there are a decent number that have taken a break from kara for a bit, or just not focused on any particular run for a while, who may be ready for a focused run.

I have had quite a few whispers on this in game already so there seems to be a decent core to get this going.

Kinda like Adam (though not as uber, I am sure, except hunter, wish he would finally learn how to play that toon), I have several toons well qualified for a full clear, and could fill any one of a number of roles. There are a decent number of us who fit into that category.

Personally I think instead of doing 2 (or more) kara groups we should be focusing on 1 kara and 1 za run or maybe 2 kara and 1 za or whatever. Just something to change things up a bit and bring something (somewhat) new into the mix. Or maybe even, since on Rhys' run we can clear through to Prince in a single, have the second night be a combo ZA/extra Kara bosses night (just like in the old days when the guild I was in would do a half MC clear/Onyxia night).

Just throwing ideas out there since it does tend to burn people out to do the same bosses over and over and over again with no change.

With due respect to Rhys's run, and I have truly enjoyed running it from time to time, and hope to do so again.....there is a difference between clearing to Prince in one night, no matter how long it takes (4+ hrs?), and running a prince run in a little over 2 hrs. Rhys runs are very enjoyable, with good companionship and lots of laughs, and perfect for that mindset.

The second type take a bit more focus, no afk's, starting on time, loot handled while chain pulls continue etc. This takes a different mindset, and sometimes a bit higher level gear and assumes everyone is very experienced.

Some people can flow between the two, others cannot. I enjoy both at different times, where some see the second as too structured and intense, and the first as too loose and chaotic. To each his own, but this is why there are different types of runs.

It is also true that the group MikeR and I ran was the initial Kara group for TF. It seems each time we could really defeat the instance, something happened (change of personnel) which threw us back and cause a rebuilding effort. Many of the other Kara runs include people which learned and benefited from our mistakes and many wipes on various bosses. We have never really enjoyed a few weeks of easy clears to actually 'pay back' the investment we all put into this, in the form of badges and actually coming out of Kara to the good gold wise. I think it would be fun with a focused team to do a bit of this. Actually, doing this for a few weeks before we approach ZA would be a good chance to solidify the core team for a new challenge, and also see some of the bosses we rarely saw.

As to ZA, I only want to do it if we are going to hit it with the expectation of doing very well there, and with a focused group. This is exactly the situation where I do best in the second mindset listed above. I would fully expect to wipe, but have a goal of progressing to at least one new boss each week, and work on getting the time down to get those additional rewards.

Wovenx Holy Pally: Kara gear. Nxyus Rogue: epic weps/some epic gear & raid specced. Lexyus DW Fury Warrior: Epiced out & raid specced. Can check armory. (rogue may need more kara gear)

Just posting that I'm interested in both kara/Za.
My schedule is more flexable then renees. I can take off when I want (Pretty much). Renee gets 1-2 days off a week and those days are not always the same.

Last edited:
I enjoy both run types: Badge run, experienced players, time efficiency, some light fellowship and well geared toons as well as running with groups who are more layed back. As long as the value of the loot never supercedes the value of the player. (Some raiding guilds)

Last edited:
I didn't really mention the 1 night clear in the sense that we were uber enough to jump right in on ZA and kill Zul'Jin, I meant it more in the context of that we had room to add it to one of our kara nights (though with the connection/lag/server problems everyone had last night, I thought killing all the requireds and Prince plus doing Maiden & Illhoof in 3 hrs wasn't bad at all).

Based on my experiences in ZA and with this group I would say the group we had last night dropped into ZA would probably get the bear boss in a few tries (and within a couple runs the timed chest would be in reach), might be able to take the eagle the first run (after several tries) but certainly should be able to within a run or two and the lynx and dragonhawk bosses are probably beyond us right now both in a gear and coordination sense(demon chains are still trouble on Illhoof, I can't imagine how many wipes would come from the totems on the lynx boss). And from there, we could progress to starting to clear all of the animal bosses (there really is no difference in difficulty between the lynx and the dragonhawk, just different skillsets and a difference in tanking/healing needed).

Anyhow...that's my $.02 on it...I just like variety and think that we could handle adding it. I'm perfectly happy keeping the runs the way they are and doing my sga ZA run on saturdays if that's what everyone wants. ;)

EDIT: and yeah I do get what you mean about having a core group so that you're progressing and not taking steps back and what not. In the runs I've been on on saturdays we've done everything from getting 3 timed chests and making it to Hexlord to having to skip the eagle and only getting 1 chest/2 bosses done simply because of people rotating in and out of the various runs. It can be a bit frustrating, but it also does make things interesting and can be fun to introduce new people to things they've never seen before...

Last edited:
I'd love to run ZA, work has made my play schedule a bit erratic of late. I'd like to run Kara for badges, and I'd like to get Nightbane...never did that boss yet. I'd be up for a couple weeks of badges, our server should unlock the new badge vendor soon. I'd like to buy an upgrade or two. We should be able to round out gear for folks and then have a some what serious group tackle ZA. I've been in ZA 2 or 3 times. The fights can be a bit tricky, I know I'd still be learning them.

I still think that za is a good goal for us, we need 2 great geared tanks, 3/4 great healers and then the dps needs to be welled geared. I am up for it as a tank been there enought to know how it goes, mage hasnt gone yet but I think my tank is more benefit to the group then my mage right now

I would be interested on my shaman, my druid has the gear to tank it for sure but really not much for upgrades for him there once the shattered sun badge vendor is up.

Well since it certainly seems like there's at least some interest in a ZA run, how do we want to do it? A completely new 1 or 2 day run or piggybacked on the 2nd day of an existing kara run? Either way works for me.

I'm out of cop school now, I have two dps charactors that are geared "well enough".

My lock is very good, my hunter is ok, unfortunatly I'm really out of practice with my shot rotation and trapping.

I still work a 24/48 schedule like randy, So I can never commit to "monday wednesday" or whatever, because I work different days each weak.

I had given consideration to starting an SGA run to meet my schedule "1 unit nights, 2 nights a week" but I doubt there'd be much interest, and that's really more effort into wow than I'm willing to undertake at this point.

Anyhow I can do multiple groups as a sub in when I'm on. I think Mogrins my BM Hunter might fit better with a newer or more casual group, where my lack of practice and lower dps wouldn't make too much of a difference. Shortilocks my Aff lock is better suited for a more hardcore serious group. I ran with a group the other night that was chain pulling, pushing right through, and I felt very comfortable with shortilocks in that environment. I really enjoyed getting to curator in 2 hours and even got a nice pair of pants out of the run.

I've never seen the inside of ZA, but I think from what I've been told that Shorti is geared for it. I'd be more than willing to take a peak at it though!

though i won't be on it, i think the 'best fit' with current runs is to head to ZA. It gives a good variety to runs - if we call the maskowitz kara run a sort of "intro/casual" run, and Rhys's run an "elite kara" hitting prince etc, then ZA would be the next level up.

Back