Kindle recommendations please

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
Ok my beautiful, wonderful wife bought me a Kindle Fire HDX for Christmas, so I am busy looking for free and inexpensive books, videos, games etc for it. So far I have dumped on it 2 versions of the Bible, A Charlie Brown Christmas' The Raven, War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, English/Spanish dictionary and 2 contemporary sci fi books. Recommendations for material and care of the Kindle welcome.

I had this one site bookmarked until my hubby built me a new computer. I can't recall it's name and didn't find it in a quick search as of yet. It's set up to where you can block the "extreme books" and just see those that are more "PG" Also Amazon when you do a search.....type free kindle books and you will find all kinds of things from every genre you can imagine.....kids, Christian, cookbooks, exercise, etc. Also if you put the genre in your search you will tend to come up with more specific searches......like type "free Christian kindle books" There's everything under the sun out there and you don't ever have to have a kindle to read them......most can be read on your computer too.

Blessings and Hugs, "Angel"

I would definitely say a case. Got a paperwhite for Christmas and that was the first thing I ordered for it. I found one ebook called Walking with Jesus Christ. I also found a free book of one of my favorite authors, Steven Lawhead.

Also, don't bother getting their "power adapter". If your cell phone uses a usb cord and adapter at the wall that the cord itself plugs into, that is all it is. I have one at home at that is what I use.

Last edited:
Most Amazon free apps of the day stink on ice, but there are some excellent freebies. Check it daily and watch the average user review rating.

Can you sideload the Humble Indie Bundle app on a Kindle Fire? Because if you can, you totally should, then snag every Humble Android Bundle from this day forward.

Skip Words with Friends and get Wordfeud instead (unless you don't like Scrabble, in which case, don't get either). WwF is more popular, but Zynga is almost everything that's wrong with mobile game development. Seriously. Zynga is a terrible, terrible company.

Ruzzle is pretty cool, too.

As much as I hate to compliment anything with a Disney stamp, I have to admit that Where's My Water? is an excellent game. Toy Story: Smash It is pretty good, too.

And I've heard you can read books on Kindles, too. Or something like that.

Don't forget about 3rd party sources for Kindle books as well. Things like http://www.gutenberg.org/ . I would suggest using calibre if you want to do much transferring of 3rd party books to your Kindle. http://calibre-ebook.com/

Edit: Oh, er, come to think of it, since you have the Android Kindle Fire, no idea if calibre is a good choice or not. Hopefully so, because its library management is excellent.

Last edited:
What about keyboards for the kindle? What is the best one at the lowest price?

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite last night, so I decided to bump this thread and ask for recommendations for ebooks. :)

The Michael Letters heaven's answer to Screwtape by Jim Peshke from Amazon

If you like good detective/thriller books, Michael Connelly is consistently amazing, although not free. His first three books in the Harry Bosch series are, The Black Echo, The Black Ice, and Concrete Blonde, in that order. He has written a multitude of books in the series and remains on top of his game throughout, which is rare for any writer.
32508.jpg 24244.jpg
CyvnPkU.jpg

Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron. WOW! What a book! I have never read anything like it. Also not free.
1232.jpg

Odd Thomas & Lightning by Dean Koontz. Probably two of his best books.
32424.jpg 14995.jpg

I may edit as I think of others to recommend.

Last edited:
Personally I didn't care for Odd Thomas. But that is subjective.

You might check your library. Our local library has a number of ebooks in multiple formats (kindle included) which can be checked out like regular books (but online).

I'd recommend Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series and his Stormlight Archive series. Both are incredible fantasy science based books. He's probably my favorite fantasy author at this time, and he's the dude who put a great finish on to the wheel of time, when before it was lagging. He has the second stormlight archive book releasing in March, and I'm pretty stoked about that.

Back