Laptop Display Question

Baddwin

So my wife's laptop decided last night was a good time to see just how high her bedside table was, and ended up with a broken display. Unfortunately this is the time of year when she most needs it for work. I've started researching options for replacing the display, but wanted to see if anyone has had experience with sourcing a replacement LCD panel and replacing it themselves.

Unfortunately replacing the whole laptop isn't in the budget, what with her part time job making her the only one of us working right now... Any advice would be welcome.

eww, sorry to tell you, replacing a laptop display is more expensive than replacing the laptop itself. My mom had the same problem with her company laptop, and they told her to just forget about it and gave her a new one to use, since no one manufactures the laptop display as a separate part for maintenance purposes.

alternatively, if your laptop still works, but just the display is broken, you can get a laptop dock station, hook it up with a regular monitor, and basically use it as a desktop.

I have done a few LCD replacements and they were a serious chore. Lots of potential to mess up the Laptop and lots of work. (kinda depends on the brand) I can get you the name of our companies Vendor.

I highly recommend you take lots of pictures as you take everything apart, it will be worth it if you forget how to put it all back together.

But I think that a quality replacement LCD is gonna cost you in the $200s and you can buy an nice Laptop in the $300s. I think the extra $100 is way worth getting a brand new laptop vs attempting to fix a broken old one.

For example for just $339, You can get a
Inspiron 15 - 1545
Jet Black
Intel Pentium Dual Core - 2000
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
160 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
2gig ram
DVD/RW
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

or a

$349.99
Lenovo 15.4" Laptop G530 / Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T4200
2GB Memory
160GB Hard Drive
DVD+/-RW DL

Last edited:
I've done a couple of LCD swaps on a laptop, it's not to hard to do yourself actually.

Depending on the quality of the laptop you would be better off to replace the whole thing if its a poor quality notebook like said above.

Maximum PC did a story on this not to long ago. The new display was like 150.
They said it wasnt very hard to do. Also you know I will help you Scotty. Microcenter has a laptop on sale now for 299 also.

tw real options IMO. Hook up an external monitor and use it as a desktop or replace the laptop. head to dell.com/outlet and you'll run into laptops for 250 sometimes.

Just hook up a monitor to the display adapter on it until you can get a replacement. I have a friend who has done this for a few people and they never looked that hard.

(I've taken my laptops apart a few times and they still work.)

Back