Left Behind Eternal Forces Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You apparently havent worked with ram heavy programs, windows tends to die alot when programs use over 600MB of ram.

Again, as an average user, the most intensive programs I need to run are AutoCad and PhotoShop.

Other than games of couse :)

As I see it, there are several disadvantages to switching to linux for the average user:

1) Steep learning curve compared to other OS's
2) Not many popular programs can run under linux. This is the big one, and the primary reason I will never go mac. Eventualy you will need to run Windows applications which to me, sounds counterproductive.
3) Linux requires a higher technical ability to operate successfully
4) Hardware compatibility issues. Either incompatible or not strong enough.
5) Linux isn't a gaming OS
6) Need to use the console. I've already done the DOS thing, I don't really want to do it again.

I love the console whats wrong with you? oh and autocad crashes alot in windows, most of it is windows related memory issues.

the learning curve isnt that bad depending on what distro you go with, I have seen people using linux and have never touched the command line. I game in linux, the unreal series runs natively, americas army, doom, quake.

The hardware issue is almost neigh now, there are few items that dont run in linux, people just fret because it isnt automatically configured for them.

the app problem isnt that great because many people have made alternatives that usually have more features.

and the requiring a higher technical expertise is a plus in my book, you get what you sow, I built by installation, and it delivers. Not many people around me can say they truely know how to use and debug linux.

Until all of those issues are resolved, Linux will never be popular with more than fringe users.

It's just that simple.

I understand that it's great for YOU, but as I have previously stated, you, and users like you, are not in the majority.

I could post a topic on why windows is not suited to end users, the simple fact is that no piece of software is perfect. you can continue dishing out money to microsoft, I will enjoy my free software.

I could post a topic on why windows is not suited to end users, the simple fact is that no piece of software is perfect. you can continue dishing out money to microsoft, I will enjoy my free software.

You're STILL missing the point.

Linux is suited to YOU, it's not suited to ME.

you havent even tried it, you compare past experience to what you think it will be like.

You are absolutely correct.

I haven't tried hitting my toe with a sledgehammer either, but I know what it will feel like :)

You are arguing based on the fact that I am uneducated about Linux. While I'm nowhere near an expert at it, I don't need to be because I understand what Linux has to offer. I've weighed the pros and cons and have found it lacking...FOR MY USE. That's the same reason I don't have a Mac. I don't have an in depth, working knowledge of the OS, but I understand what it has to offer, and that's enough to know that I have no use for a Mac.

Now, as I have stated, I lump myself into the mid-level of computer users. Most of us have no use for it. Heck, most computer users have no idea what linux is.

Therefore, I have to say, again, that Linux is not for the casual, mid-level computer user. As you've stated, it's great for YOU. Macs are great for some people, not for others. Sometimes, PC's and windows are best suited for a particular user, of which I am one.

Linux is NOT the best solution for every possible user or circumstances. That's all I'm saying.

ah but you have learned what pain feels like from similar experiences and accidents. As you have never even touched or used a *nix you have no idea if it can fill your needs or not.

ah but you have learned what pain feels like from similar experiences and accidents. As you have never even touched or used a *nix you have no idea if it can fill your needs or not.

Why is this so difficult?

I can read the pros and cons by people who understand OS's way better than I do. By reading these opinions I can make a reasonable analysis as to whether or not Linux will be useful to me.

I don't have to install Linux to realize it won't fit my needs.

I don't have the time or the money to install every piece of software on every available platform to weigh their usefulness to me. That's why reviews exist, that's why editorials exist.

Are you disagreeing with this statement I made? Linux is NOT the best solution for every possible user or circumstances.

Oy vey. If you all want to debate Linux v. Windows, take it here. I'm going to start locking threads that get as wildly off-topic as this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back