Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Magumma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henge of Denravi

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Stc95

Tribe of Judah Guild Wars Chapter Leader
Needless to say, this is probably the most important and challenging decisions to make. I have been stressing out about this for the past couple days. It's important to find a community that is friendly and has similar values as our own but also find a server that will support our goals and we all can get into. It's very much like finding a place to live that will be good for your children, you want a good school, good neighborhood, low crime rate, and a house that is affordable.

On the other hand, it's a decision that is largely out of my hands as it is ultimately your choice. So I have narrowed down the list of servers we can play on, eliminating ones that either have communities that probably would not be welcoming as well as servers that are either too big or too small.

A big factor in picking a decision will rest in WvW. Do we want a server that will be competitive in WvW or a server that cares more for the PvE side of GW2? Remember that after the first several weeks servers will be paired up against like-servers, meaning competitive servers will be placed against competitive servers and vise-versa.

Here's the rundown from what I've been able to gather:
Gate of Madness: Moderate population server, with several PvX guilds with and least one dedicated WvW guild (with Chris Whiteside, lead producer of GW2, (Snowcrash) of ArenaNet in their ranks)
Isle of Janthir: Most likely an oceanic server overflow. Looks like a mainly PvX server. Boons and Conditions (a podcast) hosted here.
Crystal Desert: Strong chance of high PvP competition
Mugumma: Healthy mix of PvE, PvP, and PvX. Dedicated WvW guild.
Hedge of Denravi: Mainly PvX and PvP.
Yak's Bend: Medium-Large population, primarily PvX, home to GW2Guru and LaZy nation.

If enough people want another server for consideration I can remake the thread and add it to the list.

I would vote 'none of the above.'

Instead, I would advocate Sanctum of Rall. Here's why:

http://wildboarinn.net/2012/07/18/my-gw2-home-sanctum-of-rall/

I did not know the person for whom ArenaNet agreed to name a server for, but I have heard many compliments about him. And players who are willing to see something like this done, well, obviously, they will be playing there. And that's the kind of players I would like to play with.

That is totally the server we (SoLA) picked as well (at least for BW3) , because of those reasons. I knew Gaiscioch from Rift and they were neat people.

Last edited:
Incidentally, that's where my guild along with a few other friends ended up this past bwe, and as long as it's there for launch, that's where we'll be as well.

Sanctum of Rall sounds like a great place to go. Is Eternal Grove eliminated as an option now or they just aren't bringing that one back online for release?

Don't remember specifically how we (sanctum of rall) did overall in wvw, but one of my guildmates did level from 1 to 18 by Friday night, and was 68 by the end of Saturday evening playing mostly pvp in some fashion.

Gotta count for something, right?

I also remember checking the bar-thing that shows progress of world bonuses, and we were around 85% filled up late Sunday night.

Anyways, since I'm more of a future alliance member assuming alliances are reintroduced at a later date, I don't have much of a say in your server choice. To that end, didn't offer a vote. GL!

Last edited:
I like the sanctum of rall also, but i was curious if there was a problem with the grove and why we would not chose it. if i had to chose from the list above i would chose Yak's bend which is not on the poll.

Haven't played much with everyone here, just got into GW3 in the last BWE, but I vote Sanctum of Rall too, for all the same reasons. Was awesome of Anet would do this.

I have not voted yet, but from the above list I would choose Henge. I would stay away from anything that would attract 4 Chan though, and I am not sure GoM would not attract a few. Rall sounds nice, but how crowded would it be now that the story is out?

What we really need is an official list of the launch servers. With the current list, I am fine with any that have been mentioned so far. My only concern would be that Sanctum of Rall will fill up quickly, limiting who can get on.

Last edited:
Sanctum of Rall sounds like a great place to go. Is Eternal Grove eliminated as an option now or they just aren't bringing that one back online for release?

Eternal Grove was eliminated as a server for BWE3 and as far as I know will not be available for launch.

I like the sanctum of rall also, but i was curious if there was a problem with the grove and why we would not chose it. if i had to chose from the list above i would chose Yak's bend which is not on the poll.

Gah, I forgot to put Yak's Bend on the poll.

What we really need is an official list of the launch servers. With the current list, I am fine with any that have been mentioned so far. My only concern would be that Sanctum of Rall will fill up quickly, limiting who can get on.

Sanctum of Rall listed on GW2Guru has no guilds listed in it, which is why I decided not to put in the poll. However, obviously it is populated and the story behind it is incredibly beautiful. If SoR continues to be a favorite I will recreate the thread and add it to the list. I have no problem with SoR as our home.

Apparently, seems a few more servers might have to be added ( not too may though) Eternal Grove would have been my pick :)

btw, a nice post for dungeon weapons it available!

I'm not voting yet. I'll decide closer to launch. I think WvW is going to be a major factor as well as the reputations of the other guilds that decide on a server.

I don't like Yak's Bend, but I can't remember why I don't like it. I remember seeing it on an earlier list somewhere and thinking "i'm sooo glad we aren't on that server", but again I don't remember why I thought that.

Eternal Grove was nice and had a strong WvW population, but we had issues getting everyone on to the server. I've also heard that Eternal Grove was the default LGBT server as a lot of those guilds have decided to make their home there. Perhaps that was just for beta, or perhaps Eternal Grove is the unofficial LGBT server. I don't know.

I'm not voting yet. I'll decide closer to launch. I think WvW is going to be a major factor as well as the reputations of the other guilds that decide on a server.

I'm with you Raven.

I really want to be in a strong WvW server and once we are in game I don't think we are ever going to be able (or more accurately willing) to switch servers.

I say we keep an eye out where Gamebreaker goes. They had really good showings every BWE. Plus, they do streaming WvW runs with MikeB and others. Super organized and easy to know where to go.

I didn't vote. I'm with Kyrel in that I'm happy wherever the guild is happy. I like what I'm hearing about Rall, however Ursen makes a good point in that would it become crowded now that the story is out?

I firmly, without a doubt, am certain of my server choice. I hope you guys are with me! :) I choose whatever you guys think is best. That way, we can all be right and play together :cool:

Yeah I'm with the pick a home and ill show up...this I think sums up my thoughts

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same You wanna be where everybody knows Your name.

You wanna go where people know, people are all the same, You wanna go where everybody knows your name.

Let me know.....

Per the GW2 twitter account, the actual launch servers list isn't finalized yet, so it may be a little while before that's finalized. Also, for the headstart, the specific time hasn't been set just yet either.

Back