LINK: Lucas finished defiling sci-fi, next projects to ruin anime

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
Lucas is producing his upcoming series "Clone Wars" in 3D animation and building a facility in Singapore to "use the amazing artistic talents in the Asian community," he said. "A lot of (Asia) is still trying to move into the 3D age. I set up a plan to speed up the process and to build up the community there. I also look at this as a way to get my foot into anime," he said.
Source: CNN, George Lucas' latest project(s)

The fact that he assumes that "A lot of Asia is still trying to move into the 3D age" proves that any of his "anime" projects will likely be on par with the "romantic" dialogue in Star Wars II. Appleseed, while successful, does not represent the full creative spectrum of an entire continent. I believe I speak for all anime fans when I say, "Go away, George. You've done enough damage already."

Last edited:
appleseed was confuseing.... then again i wasnt really paying attention lol. maybe i should rent that again

Ember said:
That's like saying you don't like live-action. You're just not watching the right stuff. ;)
*hugs Ember* I love you, honey. :D

And she's right. When people say, "Oh, anime is lame," or something to that effect, I tell them they're blindly dismissing an entire country's contribution to an art form on the example of one or two terrible series. I compare it to someone outside the US saying, "I don't like American music" just because most Britney Spears (the Pokemon of music?) is a corporate puppet completely devoid of creative ingenuity.

I admit, great anime series are few and far between. Most great series never see a stateside release because American consumers are--perhaps justifiably--stereotyped as caring more for scantily clad women and explosions than thought-provoking explorations of human relationships. "Don't stimulate our minds, just flash pretty lights in front of our eyes," essentially.

And on the rare occasion that a great series does see a stateside release, the voice acting is so nauseatingly terrible that many people dismiss it after ten seconds of soulless dialogue. Dismissing dubs completely (as most anime fans do), there's still the problem of ridiculously high costs for anime. Distributers will charge $30 for a DVD featuring three episodes (which, by the way, will feature ugly subtitles and translations far less accurate than those found in fansubs).

So, while I disagree with dismissing an entire country's catalog of animation, I understand why anime is not taken seriously in America. The companies that select, translate, and distribute anime titles in the US care more about cutting costs (especially when it comes to hiring terrible voice actors with less skill and emotion than high school drama dropouts) and making a profit than preserving the message and innovation of terrific series.

Last edited:
Ember said:
That's like saying you don't like live-action. You're just not watching the right stuff. ;)

Hmm..i actually used to like pokemon a lot..back in grade 7. :) And thats probably true Ember!

Back