Little help, if you please

Avesther

Alrighty then, I got me a copy of Half Life plus a good chunk of mods (CS, DoD, Team Fortress, etc) and installed them all. (Okay, maybe I got too much for Natural Selection, but I figure, why close doors, get them all and start fragging with everybody.)

I've updated HL to the newest version (1.1.10 IIRC)

I've installed Natural Selectioin

I've installed Steam, the 700Mb+ version

I haven't updated any of the other mods yet.

I've setup a Steam account, but, I think I goofed it.  I used the nik Gods_Peon, I forgot to put TOJ in it.  But then, I haven't fully applied to this chapter in TOJ yet either.

I don't have a WON account yet, so, I'll have to go about getting that I suppose.

So in summary, I still need to do the following:

1.  Apply to TOJ: Natural Selection
2.  Setup a Steam Account, properly
3.  Setup a WON account
4.  Find some way to test to see if it is all working
5.  Get some training under my belt.

What else do I need to do?  And any other advice would be helpfull!!! I'd like to start playing tonight, if at all possible
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gods_Peon @ Dec. 09 2003,12:04)]1. Apply to TOJ: Natural Selection
- Contact Rizz at membership AT toj DOT cc to join the NS sub-chapter and be listed on the roster. (Anyone who hasn't yet joined ToJ should click here to read our charter and submit a membership application before applying to join ToJ: NS.)
- Post a reply with the required information to the team sign-up form if you'd like to join the ToJ competitive team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. Setup a Steam Account, properly

If you've created an account through Steam already, then you're good to go. If the server gave you authentication errors or other nonsense, then you'll have to try again later. Either way, be sure to add your username and the e-mail address you used to register your Steam account to this thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. Setup a WON account

There's really no such thing as a WON account, just a WON ID. This is automatically determined by your CD key, but it is NOT the same thing as your CD key. Click here to find out your WON ID.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]4. Find some way to test to see if it is all working

Try joining the [FAT] clan server at 66.98.130.137:27015 to test it out--that is, if it's open. Otherwise, you can just find any random empty server and join up. Do note that the majority of NS servers are still running on the WON ID system, so do NOT use Steam to try to join a NS server. (NS 3.0 will support Steam when it's released.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]5. Get some training under my belt.

The very first page you want to read is the Natural Selection FAQ, even before loading up the game for the first time. It goes a long way to decreasing the learning curve.

After that, just watch for Elihu, Randog, Vanaze, Mercury, QuePasa, crikket, Mosquito Morte, me, or anyone else in ToJ who plays NS (I recommend using ServerSpy to find us and have us walk you through the basics.

See you in the game!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you've created an account through Steam already, then you're good to go. If the server gave you authentication errors or other nonsense, then you'll have to try again later. Either way, be sure to add your username and the e-mail address you used to register your Steam account to this thread.

I can't find myself on steam when I do a search on my email address (ckoss@shaw.ca) or using my handle (Gods_Peon).

it's possible they programmed it in such a way that you won't return yourself in a search. I would have.

More likely, it's that Steam's "search for friends" feature is bugged to heck. About half of my searches for IDs on the official ToJ Steam account listing have failed. >_<

I don't know if it's just me but I haven't hadd nearly as much trouble with steam... Just luck or God's favor???
hmmmmmm....

Now I seem to have everything working fine. I've pinpointed my WON id. That required a full uninstall and reinstall sans steam. I've found my steam ID. I've signed up at the NS forums. All is good. I logged on the the [FAT] clan server, tried to play for like 1 or 2 minutes. Then realized, WOWZERS this game is complicated.

lol...
It's hard to start with but if you stick with it its an AWESOME game. Basically its all about teamwork and listening to ppl who have been playing the game.

when are you usually on? I can teach you some of the ropes and what not.

(Disclaimer: However I am by no means an expert.)

I don't have a "usually on" set time. I've only been on once. LOL. It was a fascinating experience. Too much happening all at once. I felt more of a hinderance trying to understand it all, so I simply left. But, if you use serverspy, you should be able to find me as [toj.cc]gods_peon.

Back