Lock Spec question

amusedtoe

Ok, so I'm recently fallen in love a warlock, no it's not Gobby... put the big pointy piece of metal down Aves... ok that's a little better I guess...

Anyway, I'm getting to the point where I really need to decide how I spec before it's just kind of all over. So far I've been tearing things up pretty nicely with my DOTs while my pet does damage and keeps them off me long enough for the DOTs to do their job. Is that a viable course to pursue pumping up my pet and the effectiveness of my affliction DOTs? How about for PVP?

Last edited:
I'm not lock expert, but most of the locks that I go against or pvp with have max talent points in improved imp for 30% more stam from blood pact, and demonic embrace for 15% more hp. With these talents a lock can get as much hps as a warrior if not more.

I have a 60 Warlock on Warsong. You need to decide what you like more burst damage or duribility. I would recommend a Master Demonoligist spec if you like duribility and for burst damage a SM/ Ruin spec. You sound like you are mostly spec'd for Affliction atm. I then would recommend to go to Shadow mastery and then work up Destruction to Ruin. Total spec 31 Affliction and 20 Destruction I believe. Gives you the dots + benefits of big Destructions nukes with your Shadow bolt. Draw backs to SM/Ruin spec is you cant take a beating like a Master Demonoligist can. There power comes from sacrificing pets to get the Shadow bonus, Soul like witch allows the MD to share hitpoints with their pet in pvp and their quick instant recasts of pets combined with big pet damage. Hope that helps. Give me a tell in game I am more than happy to help if you have more questions.

Last edited:
Well I'm all of level 17 so my points so far are 3 in improved imp, 2 in demonic embrace and the other 3 in corruption. I guess I should follow up by asking it this way, if I put most of my points in Demonolgy and I focus on Affliction or Destruction for the rest what are the benefits/drawbacks of both. Would one make me better suited for PvP or PvE, does it change the style of play? Are they exactly the same as a secondary tree?

It's just hard to know what's going to be good for me, even reading different builds since you don't know what's going to suddenly become great with talents when you hit 30, or what tails off as you climb, or anything you'll be getting at a higher level.

I would stick to one tree for awhile If I were you. Having your talent points spread between the 3 different catigories is not good. Most of the really usefull things are up the tree a ways in no matter what you are looking for. If you like big Crit hits then choose Destruction. If you like having nasty dots then choose Afliction. If you are a big pet guy then I would move up the Master Demonologist tree. Do the tree that you want the most then move the points into a 2nd tree when you are done with the one.

Warlocks jobs in PvE is to do damage. Your job is mostly DPS. However you are not pure DPS like a Rogue for instance would be in a raid situation. Your also helpful in giving out healthstones to all party members. Keeping a Priest, Paladin with a Soulstone incase of failure/ Wipe. I would probably say the best equiped Warlock for raiding would be the Master Demonologist. However there is not huge benefits like a Priest being Holy vs Shadow. So it really isnt that big of a concern. Warlocks, summon, soulstone, give out healthstones and do DPS. We have to be concerned with damage control so we dont over agro and unlike Priests, and Mages we are endless mana for DPS due to our ability to Life tap and bandage.
Give me a tell in game and I can help you with your spec more. If I re-leveled a Warlock I would go just the spec I have now. First the Affliction tree to Shadow Mastery and then the Destruction Tree to Ruin. 0 points in Demonology. However thats just my play style. The other Option is taking Demonology to Master Demonologist with Soul link and the Destruction to Ruin if possible. I would not put any points in that spec into Affliction.

Most of the locks I've played with, it seems to me sm/ruin builds do the most dmg, however these locks do have a lot of + spell/shadow dmg gear and trinkets.

Osirys my warlock was a master demonologist for the longest time. I recently respecced to 7-7-37 (Mostly Destruction). Warlocks power lies within their pets. I believe that a Master Demonologist is the best way for you to go now. Lets say you get jumped by a rogue in PVP. You sacrifice your void you were pveing with and pull out your succubus in .5 seconds for 100 mana or so (forgot what that talent is called). You can seduce, fear dot then nuke. Rinse and repeat. That works with most mele classes. If you arent Master Demonologist then i believe you are really limiting your PVP potential. And not to mention you can solo high level elites like none other much more smoothely when you are Master Demonologist. There are my two cents.

Back