MagnaTune.com

SLAM

For all you anti-RIAA soldiers, there is a new music site thaht promotes the hearing of its music prior to purchase. MagnaTune.com maintains that they are "not evil," and lays this down very well on their front page. They follow a shareware-model business plan, making all their artists music available for download. Furthermore, the artists receive 50% of all proceeds from their music (a great improvement over the normal pittance), the music, in purchased form is very cheap (on the order of $5 or so), and, best of all, the artists keep all rights to their music.

Check MagnaTune.com for the full low-down and a ton of excellent music. BTW...when you do, post back here about your favorite artists :).

I'm currently listening to Shiva in Exile, which is describe as "Gothic Arab/Indian World Music." I'm rather enjoying the rhythm and dark atmosphere. Definitely recommended for fans of pseudo-techno/trance or
anything at all ethnic.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ahah! This just in! I looked at the "buy" page, and guess what? You choose how much you want to pay for music. It reminds you to bear in mind that the artist receives 50% of the proceeds, so if you decide you really like an artist, you can show it. Truly, this is the business model of the future of music.

Back