Mass Effect 1/2

Fritter

I picked up a copy of Mass Effect 2 this past weekend, and I have to say it's an awesome game. However, I just found out that it's a triolgy series with Mass Effect 3 coming out in 2011. I was just wondering if anyone has played Mass Effect 1/2 and if they would recommend playing Mass Effect 1 first? It seems that the story in 2 references events in 1 a lot, and while I've picked up the gist, I wonder if the wonderful story would have more depth after playing 1.

Anyone have any opinions?

I am currently playing through Mass Effect 1 and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Well-made games are a bargain at less than $20! I like to check out user reviews instead of critic reviews since they tend to actually play a game to the end and there tends to be a larger pool of opinions to accurately reflect how good a game is before I get it. Average user review on Gamespot is 9.1 out of 10 from 20,124 user votes for ME1 (I tend to ignore Gamespot's score since it's only based on a couple "critic" opinions.

I think ME1 would be engaging to you in the same way the Halo Reach prologue would be to a gamer who has already played through a later part of the series.

I don't think there is anyway you can go wrong picking it up.

Just my opinion!

I think you absolutely must play ME1 before ME2. The number of things that carry over from your ME1 save game is amazing...

I think you absolutely must play ME1 before ME2. The number of things that carry over from your ME1 save game is amazing...

I second this motion. While you can create a new character in ME2 and start from scratch and the storyline is essentially the same, YOU will enjoy it SOOOO much better if you know ME1 before ME2. Bioware is my favorite game maker and they have perfected sequels. The amount of stuff that carries over from ME1 to ME2 is astonishing, even if the vast majority are little details that don't typically matter. But playing through ME2 after ME1 it was like "hey! I know that guy!" or "So that's what happened to him.."

+1 vote for ME1 -> ME2 -> SO EXCITED FOR ME3!

I'd say it's optional, because I loved ME 2, but I barely got through five hours of ME 1 before I got completely and totally fed up with the Mind-Melting Mako Missions of Madness. Nothing could be worth trying to get through those.

before I got completely and totally fed up with the Mind-Melting Mako Missions of Madness.

Nice M's.

I don't mind the Mako missions. I do like exploring planets but ME2 way is better.

Well, everything with ME2 is much better than ME1.

The only time I will play ME1 is to finish up my
Renegade
character, so I can carry him over to ME2.

If your into the story/depth of the game, you should get all of them.

However, I'm not a big fan, so I won't plan for ME3 until it is cheap.

I'd say it's optional, because I loved ME 2, but I barely got through five hours of ME 1 before I got completely and totally fed up with the Mind-Melting Mako Missions of Madness. Nothing could be worth trying to get through those.

Really?? After ME2's system I enjoyed the Mako more than the scanner. At first it was nice, but then it got to be so boring just scanning planets, up and down, up and down, buy drones, refill. I at least enjoyed seeing the scenery of the planets and the random encounters. While I agree the Mako was also tedious, and the scanner was an improvement, I hope in ME3 they find something better, cause it's still a flawed system

Heh, well, that we agree on, then. I thought the planet scanning minigame was just as bad as the Mako missions.

Perhaps in ME3 they'll fill in the space between quests with a minigame where you take your Shepard to his/her quarters and run on a treadmill. Wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Thanks for the responses. I did pick up ME1 and played it some this weekend. It's actually a lot different then ME 2, combat isn't nearly as fluid and there is more micromanagement of your squad (and they die a lot more). But, it is still a very good game and I'm looking forward to how things change in ME2 once I import my character.

On the mako vs. planet probing... honestly they are about the same and they both need to go in ME3. Hacking sucks in ME1 through, I like the hack/bypass games in ME2 a lot more.

Actually I thought all of the minigames were awful(more like mini-torture).

And some of the dialog was terrible too. Thankfully shooting people in the face in slo-mo from five hundred yards away while they writhed in pain was fun, or I might not've made it through the whole game twice. >_>

Back