Maybe someone that's computer savvy can help me...

So I currently play Starcraft 2 and Rift and I have to play with the video settings all the way down. I would like to at least play at medium settings and still have the games run flawlessly.

I currently have a duel core Sony Vaio. It has 2.8 Ghz Pentium D processors with 4 gigs of ram and a decent graphics card. I'd like to reformat the hard drive since there's a lot of junk on my computer. However, I don't have the Windows XP disc. So if I'm gonna have to buy more software I might as well upgrade to Windows 7. I'm also going to buy a new internal hard drive since mine is maxed out right now.

What I want to know is should I upgrade to Windows 7? Will my computer run smoother? Currently I'm running at least 45 processes in the background, which seems like a lot. Any recommendations to get this thing running smoother? It runs great until I try playing a video game. They run okay until there's a lot going on on the screen. And if I buy Windows 7 is there a difference in buying the Windows 7 Home Premium and buying Windows 7 Home Premium for System Builders?

Is this a Desktop or Laptop?
What is your video card?

Reformat will be nice, Sony puts a ton of crapware on their PCs and that will get rid of it. Your system can handle win 7 x64 but I don't know if it will be smoother. It will be able to use all 4 gigs of ram and that will be an improvement over XP.

That being said, you can save money as long as you have the XP license sticker on your PC, you can download a XP disc for free and just use the license you own and there will be no need to spend money on a OS.

A 7200 rpm hard drive will give you better performance if you are on an older 4500rpm one. You could put a SSD in there and really be screaming.

Thanks for the advice. It's a desktop and currently I have a Nvidia Geforfe 9800 GT graphics card. I bought it about 3 years again when I tried playing Failhammer. And I think I have the XP license sticker still... I didn't know I could download the disc online. I think I'll start with a new harddrive and a reformat.

Well my computer meets most of the recommendations. However, my hard drive is 4500 rpms so that might be why it's running kind of sluggish.

So I received my hard drive today, went to install it and I need to buy a new SATA cable... Lame. So I have to wait until tomorrow to go pick one up. I also tried formatting the new hard drive... However I have Windows Media Edition and I don't have the disc. And I can't find a download anywhere!

So I want to copy my C drive to my J drive... Anyone have recommendations for programs that can copy an entire hard drive?

Back