Mechwarrior 5 canned

Nspire

Hello all,

First I'd like to take a moment to let you know what's been going on within FASA studio. We're currently wrapping up production for Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge for Xbox, I know these souped-up aircraft are not Battlemechs, but I'm sure fans of the Crimson Skies universe won't be disappointed. We've also been busy providing our Xbox Live fans with new MechAssault downloadable content.

Over the past few months there has been plenty of speculation, email, and pleas for information regarding the future of the PC MechWarrior franchise, namely MechWarrior 5. Although an exceptional effort was made by an extremely creative and talented development team, we have decided not to continue the development of the project at this time. There were several factors in this decision, but most prevalent was our concern that we were not advancing the genre enough to meet and exceed our customer's expectations. Please know that this was a very difficult decision, but one we felt was in the best interests of our customers.

We deeply love the Mechwarrior franchise, and are committed to keeping it alive. Our plan is to re-invent Mechwarrior in a way that brings a fresh experience to our devoted customers and new fans alike. We would like to thank all of you for your continued support of the Mechwarrior 4 series of games, and greatly appreciate all the feedback we've received on our games. We are intensely focused on delivering outstanding game experiences, and rest assured we are working feverishly on some wonderful next-generation games.

Von ~
-------------------------------------------------

Nooooo!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHH

Update.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]tryptic Tue Mar-25-03 01:19 AM
Charter member
70 posts

#11979, "RE: Stick a fork in this forum!"
In response to Reply #16

As long as I'm working at Fasa Studio at Microsoft, there will always be a possibility of another PC mech simulation. It would be an understatement to say that I love this game. The last 6 years of my life have been spent day-in and day-out working on Mechwarrior. I am in this business because I played MW2 and loved it so much I had to become part of the industry. (well, that & X-wing).

I am a die-hard sim fanatic, having played everything from Janes, Microprose, Looking Glass, Origin... the list goes on and on I have a whole freakin shelf floor-to-ceiling with sim games. I am a sim-head. Sure it would be great if more Sim games were mainstream, or weren't so hard to learn for most folks. But that in no way hinders me from wanting to make another mech game.

It's somewhat humorous reading the posts that declare that Mechwarrior has moved to the X-box permanently. I would submit the people saying this have little or no knowledge of our business. MS is still firmly behind PC game development, that should be obvious from recent announcements.

PAINGOD was a core force behind Mechwarrior at MS, and is probably one of the main reasons MW4 actually got shipped. He was a good friend and will be sorely missed, but understand that he wasn't the only person passionate about MW on the PC at Fasa, myself and several others still firmly believe in the MW vision.

So yeah, no promises... dates... even a hint of what the next MW incarnation might be. That's the reality. But everyone needs to know that the flame is still burning, and when the opportunity arises it will become a bonfire. It would be kind of silly to completely dismiss MW on the PC given it's history, and the potential for greatness again on next-generation hardware.

This BBS and the people here have always been key in helping our development efforts... And we will be back to start the brainstorming when we get the chance, that is a promise.

Thanks

w00t! All is not lost.

Back