Mightier than the pen

SlavidZee

Hey all, I'm just gonna go ahead and get all Pharisee-like right here. Not really, but by the end of this, you may see what I mean.

"We are the target market.
We are the corporate target.
We are slaves of what we want..."

I was listening to Switchfoot's song "Lonely Nation" the other day, and the lyrics above made me think about one way in which we tend to get in bed with certain interests in this world, even though we profess to be aliens living in but not of. This week's article in The New Yorker about "The DaVinci Code" reminded me again. Pop culture, in a capitalist system that strives for a free market economy, is set by the people. Especially, by the people with the disposable income to sustain industries such as entertainment, luxury goods, etc. People like us. Some would say that thanks to this relationship, pop culture is a telling barometer of the values of the current generation. Others might say that pop culture merely exaggerates, reflects upon, and satirizes what already exists in people's minds, that it just harmlessly gives us what we want. If we consume wisely, we should be ok, right? For example, female friends have said "I disagree with the views of characters in Sex in the City, but I watch it because it's funny and well written!" Or how about my favorite, Family Guy? But do we realize that by the very act of consuming, we help to perpetuate these messages? However we may justify consuming less than savory ideas, the economic impact of our decisions is identical to that of someone who wholeheartedly embraces said ideas.

But that leads me to ask: does God command us to use money as a voice? I'm looking for scriptural support here to bring this idea to light. I do intuitively figure that worship is about investment, and this can be time, money, worries, craving, etc. Our spending patterns form profiles that describe what's important to us. Also, it just so happens that in this country, we have finely honed supply chains that meet or every desire with a taylor-made product. The United States may be the fastest idol-producing (with the help of foreign manufacturing) country ever. How do Christians respond? Perhaps the Christian ascetics have a point: it's better not to partake than to partake and jump through a dozen hoops explaining why it was ok. What if all believers in this world didn't settle for anyting less than whatever is good, worthy, and pure? Surely the producers of this economy would have to adapt, and Christian ethics may reintegrate itself into the mass consciousness. Perhaps the purse is mightier than the pen.

Last edited:
"All things are permissible, but not all things are profitable."
"Take heed lest you cause a younger brother to fall."

Good post. I think that there is a lot that Christians can do but it must be done with the proper attitude. In the above quotes, Paul was talking about the eating of meat that had been offered to idols. He said that it was OK as long as it was done in the proper way (to glorify God instead of idols). But he also said that if it might cause a younger (spiritually) Christian to fall, then we shouldn't do it.

I'm not entirly sure how that fits in to your post, but it sure felt good to write!

I find your post extremely interesting SlavidZee. I think this is an extremely divisive issue within the church though, so I won't be surprised if people want to raise objection with my post.

Americans are conditioned into thinking about spending their finances on material possessions. As everyone knows, it's what drives our capitalist economy. I'm beginning to believe however that good cannot be found in the practices of the typical American consumer. What is it that American retail stores can offer that God cannot? Perhaps I'm jaded, but the constant pursuit of instant gratification and/or social stature through the acquisition of trivial material possessions seems hollow and even futile.

While I'd imagine that most Christians would echo this sentiment, I believe most of them, including me, are still trapped in this pursuit, only we're in denial or its existence is on a subconscious level. I'm trying to figure out how to justify the purchase of a Nintendo Wii and a Xbox 360 while attempting to pay for tuition to a Christian College. Will either of these two consoles bring me closer to God or advance His Kingdom? I doubt it.

Even if you could organize Christendom into spending money while adhering to the principle laid down in Philippians 4:8, who determines the definition of good, pure, or noble? Is a "noble" use of money dropping 30 dollars on the special edition DVD of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe or instead sending that money to World Vision to help clothe and feed a child for a month?

I don't think Christians can force mass culture to buy into its moralist. It's an extremely scary prospect, if you think about it. After all, aren't "wicked" things more appealing when they can't be had or aren't allowed? Evil needs to be fully out in the open, uncloaked and conspicuous for all to see the fruitlessness of reveling in it.

If Christians were to spend money in an attempt to force the American culture to cleanse itself of unpleasant things, I think the wrong message would be sent to those who don't believe. It's a lot like those who were appalled at the fact that Christian groups spent so much time and energy attempting to ban gay marriages in this country while they ignored the horrific disease and poverty conditions both here at home and more prolifically abroad.

As Americans, we're truly blessed with financial and material prosperity beyond the dreams of most around the rest of the world. Is it not our responsibility to use this wealth to help others, instead of gratifying ourselves with materialistic possessions, even if they may be considered good, pure, and noble?

Instead of Switchfoot's "Lonely Nation" (As much as I love the dudes from San Diego, I think they've gone a little too nihilistic), I think Sanctus Real's "Things Like You" or Shawn McDonald's "A Little More" are apt with regards to where we should be in our thinking with American culture.

Then again, I expect disagreement.

Our money doesn't really belong to us. It belongs to God. We are just stewards of His money. He's kind enough to let us keep 90% of His money but I believe that we should still try to use His money on things that He would approve of. Or at least don't use it towards things that He definitely wouldn't approve of.

astrod00d said:
Our money doesn't really belong to us. It belongs to God. We are just stewards of His money. He's kind enough to let us keep 90% of His money but I believe that we should still try to use His money on things that He would approve of. Or at least don't use it towards things that He definitely wouldn't approve of.

Are we really supposed to keep 90% for ourselves though? I don't think the widow in Luke 21 did, and Jesus lauded her for her actions. I'm asking aloud, not trying to be intentionally contentious, just asking aloud.

MeridianFlight said:
Are we really supposed to keep 90% for ourselves though? I don't think the widow in Luke 21 did, and Jesus lauded her for her actions. I'm asking aloud, not trying to be intentionally contentious, just asking aloud.
That's a wonderful thought, actually, cuz that means you're willing to ask the tough question, and that sure is a toughie.
It seems that as we become more Christ-like, the more our money-usage will reflect the purposes of the kingdom. So I guess the more we've surrendered our lives to God's plan, the less the "our money / God's money" distinction matters.

Back