Movie rated PG solely for Christian content

SirThom

From the American Family Association (www.afa.net):

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) is now warning parents of movies which contain a reference to the Christian faith, equating Christianity as being on the same level of sex, violence and profanity when it comes to objectionable material.

The MPAA is controlled by Hollywood moguls known for their bitter opposition to Christianity.

A new family film featuring miracles and a pro-God theme has earned the PG rating because it would offend non-believers. The MPAA refuses to give movies which promote the homosexual lifestyle a similar warning. In other words, MPAA warns parents if a movie has Christianity presented in a positive manner but refuses to warn them if homosexuality is presented in a positive manner.

Facing the Giants is the story of a Christian high school football coach who uses his undying faith to battle the giants of fear and failure. Due to the Christian content, the MPAA rated it PG, placing it in the same offensive category as sex, violence and profanity.

Click Here to read a good Scripps Howard News Service article about this issue.
[ URL: http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=RELIGION-FAITH-06-07-06 ]

The plot includes several prayers being answered, a medical miracle, and a mystic who delivers a message from God. The scene which MPAA found most offensive was a discussion between the football coach and a boy named Matt. The coach says the boy needs to stop bad-mouthing his father and get right with God.

The boy replies: "You really believe in all that honoring God and following Jesus stuff? Well, I ain't trying to be disrespectful, but not everybody believes in that."

The coach responds: "Matt, nobody's forcing anything on you. Following Jesus Christ is the decision that you're going to have to make for yourself. You may not want to accept it, because it will change your life. You will never be the same."

That, says the MPAA, is very objectionable and parents need to be warned.
Here's where you can e-mail the MPAA on this issue:

https://secure.afa.net/afa/afapetition/takeaction.asp?id=201

Discuss.

So I wonder if they are changing it for anything relating to religion, such as Buddhism, Judaism, Atheist, etc.

Bigots are everywhere.

There are plenty of people who don't hate Christians. But there are also plenty who do.

Christians are becoming more and more hated everyday it seems. We're constantly at war now and mostly in the Middle-East. Hmmm...it kind of sounds like something I've read before. What book was that? I think it started with an R or something. :p

Approaching this from a different perspective, this might work to benefit the Christian church. When you tell a person, "Don't see this" or "This isn't good for your young ones," people want to ask, "Why?" or do it to spite whoever told them not to do it. In short, humanity's curious nature, which is neither good nor evil in and of itself, could very well work in our favor here.

I say let them rate the films whatever they please. It's their jurisdiction. If the MPAA was to rate a Veggie Tales movie PG-13 just because it had pirates and Christian themes, the general populace would be too busy laughing and mocking the MPAA (even more than it does now) to be outraged.

I wouldn't quite chalk this up as "persecution," but this sort of non-sensical reaction stands to stir up even more interest in Christianity. When you read history, you find that it was largely the martyrs' refusal to recant their faith in the face of torture that helped spread Christianity in the first century. When corporations and governments (especially the US government, which is largely controlled by corporations now) act against Christian values, we're given a spotlight, if only a brief one.

Instead of threatening to call and harrass the MPAA, let's take a step back and view it within context. The MPAA is leaning on federal law enforcement to spend time, personnel, and resources that could be devoted to public safety to stop people from downloading movies. Would the US government rather stop another terrorist bombing or keep little Jonny from downloading X-Men 3? The question is absurd, but the fact that we even have to ask is even more absurd.

Freedom of speech applies to everybody. Unless you happen to be a Biblically correct Christian, then you're a demon and should be supressed at all costs.

I don't exactly have the words to say what I'm feeling. I guess I am just tired of the liberal agenda hiding behind the lie of "we need to protect the children".

The last thing they care about are children or the family unit. Everything they promote, endorse and persecute only serves to further the damage done to our children, let alone society. Clinton said that it takes a village to raise a child. I say it takes Christian parents. If the government was so good at raising children there would be no need for laws, regulation and censoring.

Christian values are the very fabric of our society. The declaration of independence itself sates that we have certain unalienable rights endowed by our Creator. This is only an assumption but I doubt "Creator" stands for anything other than God himself. In fact most of the state's constitutions mention God, I know Illinois does (source).

The more they try to censor us, the more they make me think I'm right, so let them. They will reap what they sow, I will reap what I sow.

Actually, EVERY state constitution acknowledges God and almost all do it in the very first sentence of their Preamble.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35035

Most people still have their blinders on. I don't know about you guys but when I decided to take my Christian faith seriously, it was like the Lord opened my eyes and allowed me to see just how far we have fallen. I don't know if the world is getting so much worse very quickly or if I'm just more and more sensitive to it. It's a good thing that God is so gracious. If I were him, I would have wiped us out and started over rather than send my son to save such a thankless and sinful race of beings. We are truly unworthy.

Last edited:
Tek, I understand using this to spike curiousity, but it's going to come down to the point where we need to stop discrimination against Christians. The law that these tree hugging, God hating hippies passed to prevent any kind of discrimination in this instance is ammo against them. Frankly, I think the director or producer of this film needs to sue the MPAA with charges of discrimination. Regardless of a win or loss, it will prove that God didn't have doormats in mind when he places us as joint heirs with his Son. Christian have had to fight discrimination forever, and so even though this won't stop it, it might at least tell them to stop treating us like lepers.

Back