My Favorite Cookies and How to Make Them

Manyik

We asked you what you wanted and you said cookies. Here they are! Let me introduce to you the new "My Favorite Cookies and How to Make Them" thread. I could not afford to mail you all cookies but I can help give you the ability to make some great ones for yourself and lucky friends/family members.

Please share with us your favorite cookie recipes and hopefully a picture, memory, or why you love them so much. You are not limited to one cookie recipe, who could love just one?

Kel Queen of all Europe

I use butter flavored Crisco instead of butter a lot. It's always at room temp and I know people that can't have dairy. If measuring shortening has you worried you can alway buy it in stick form and slice off what you need easily. This is a great recipe to learn because it looks so different when you roll it in different things. You can roll one batch in as many things as you want, tricking people into thinking you worked hard all day making many different kinds of cookies.

Kel Queen of all Europe

Roll in anything sugar cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup Crisco® Butter Shortening
2 large eggs
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups All Purpose Flour (unbleached taste better)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Stuff to roll in

Combine sugar and shortening in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs, syrup and vanilla. Beat until well blended and fluffy.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until well blended. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.

Heat oven to 375ºF.

Form 1in balls (about the size of a rubber bouncy ball) If the dough starts to stick to your hands to much wash them in cold water to cool them off. Roll them in whatever sounds good to you. Some things I like are, hot cocoa mix, jello powder, Cinnamon and sugar, nuts, finely chopped candies ginger or dates, powdered chocolate, colored sugar, or powdered lemonade mix. Drop your rolled balls of dough 2-inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375ºF. for 7 to 8 minutes.

Hehe...I was wondering when you'd get this up, after our talking about cookies for like..15mins on the Alliance chat...I'll post my favorite recipe...as soon as i find it in this stack of piled-up work i have to do..

I tried these yesterday and they were a big hit at the Christmas party with people asking for the recipe. They are very easy but look very elegant. Think of them as a grownup brownie with almonds instead of chocolate.

Scandinavian Blondies

2 eggs
1cup sugar
½ ts salt
1ts vanilla
1 st almond extract
½ cup melted butter
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup sliced almonds​

Turn on oven to 325 and grease a 8x8 pan. Beat eggs well, until light colored and thick. Add in sugar and salt, continue to beat until shinny and pale yellow. Add in vanilla, almond extract, melted butter and ½ cup flour, folding in gently. Fold in the remaining flour. Put the mixture into the greased pan and with wet fingers pat down evenly and into the corners. Sprinkle with nuts. Gently pat them down to help the nuts stick. Bake for 30-35 min, until the edges are pulling away from the sides of the pan and are a light golden color. Remove from oven and (this is the hardest part) let cool completely before cutting into squares.
The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion Cookbook

My favorite cookies are the Paradise Bakery kind! Sorry I cant bake pastries to save my life. I can however cook a gourmet meal! so if you guys ever want to turn this into "My favorite dish and how to make it" I'm game! :)

This thread is officially nominated for Awesomest Thread of the Month are part of the Random Contest I Just Made Up.

As it is the holidays again I thought I would bring this thread back in hopes of getting a few of your recipes this time!

Peanut butter bars

6 TB unsalted butter
½ cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 ts vanilla
1cup unbleached all- purpose flour
¼ ts salt
1 ts baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x9 pan. Cream together butter and peanut butter until smooth. Mix in both sugars, add eggs one at a time then vanilla. In a separate bowl whisk together flour salt and baking powder. Add to the first bowl stirring until combined. Mix in any stir ins desired. Spread into greased pan. Bake for 30 min until edges barely come away from the sides of the pan. Let cool completely before cutting

I don't even like peanut butter and I love these gooey bars!

Merry Christmas to all

Kel Queen of all Europe

OK I am weighing in here with my famous microwave brownies:

Ingredients:
1 cup of S.R. flour (i use gluten free replacement flour or i get sick - still works good)
1/4 cup of coco
1 cup of sugar (anything with that much sugar cant be anything but yum)
125grams of melted butter (rough translation 1/4 of butter)
cap of vinilla essence
3 eggs (I vary this depending on size of eggs but once you have made it a few times you get the idea)

Method:
1. Mix sugar, melted butter, vinilla essence, eggs untill sugar is gooey
2. Shift is coco and flour and mix until combined (no need to go over the top just fix until it all comes together
3. Line pie dish with glad wrap (cling wrap or whatever you call it over there) and add mixture.
4. Wack into microwave on full for 3-5 minutes. Should be a tiny little bit gooey in the centre.
5. Let cool, cut into bickie size pieces and enjoy with milk.

Why not another. This is an Australian recipie that comes from WW II. They are called ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corp) biscuits and were set to troops during the war. They were sent as they are tasty, energy filled, last for months without going off, and could be thrown at opposing trenches when ammunition was low. Bake cookies and impress your friends with your historical knowledge of obscure countries.

Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut (I hate coconut so you can take it or leave it)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 tbs golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Method:
Preheat the oven to 160°C (320F I think). Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the oats, coconut and brown sugar.
Put the butter, golden syrup and 2 tbs water in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until melted. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on the trays, about 5cm apart.
Press with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Set aside on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack so it cools completely.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what "desiccated coconut" is - but maybe that is what makes them good for ammunition.

I'm not sure what "desiccated coconut" is - but maybe that is what makes them good for ammunition.

It means dried but it sounds nasty doesn't it. I should also point out that these cookies are actually really really nice, especially straight out of the oven.

Last edited:
Back