My mom....**sigh**

Once again, my mom is completely sympathetic to anything I do...
I'm so tired of her. I'm really tired of talking to her/explaining anything to her. I talk to her, she says she understands but goes ahead and does it anyway. She's so stupid at times (and believe me, when she says talking to God about someone can wait when they are so close to salvation...wait a week or so), and when she's got that "you just play games for your self, you don't help people" attitude and i give her the people to talk to, she blows it off. I really can't stand her! So many things just make me so mad! She's the most stubborn person on the planet! I've had people who would slit my throat and leave me to bleed to death for saying the words "Jesus loves you" (on GW of course, or I wouldn't be here), and after 5 or 6 verse from the bible then change their mind! How in the world can I constantly show love to my own Christian mom for over 2 years and she is just as stubborn! She just opposes anything I do online (because once again, it's the computer so it's for me), even if i want to show her proof! Anyway, I don't think ill be online for a while after tonight (yay public library!).

Believe me, I know exactly what you mean. My mom is VERY stubborn and it gets to the point where I can't stand it. But then you have to think... if she is being stubborn then what can you do to just let it roll off your shoulders. A few days ago my brother and I finally started talking again(again I think he saw the post I put up) and I asked him what he does when she is like that and he told me, "You don't talk back you just say things like 'No it's not' when she says things like 'The thing is in the thing get it for me'." That is just an example but I don't know very many verses so I can't really direct you to anything that will give you farther clarity on the subject but I do know that when people in general are like that the best thing to do is just sigh and forgive.

I think this is a pretty universal trait of moms. im not sure how old you are but truly as you get older adn the more time u spend together the more aggrivated you can get. i know after living by myself for 6months i could hardly stand 2 days with my mom. but they love you, and we love them so really just pray for patience and let your moms bless youl

I can understand difficult parents; my father was abusive. So keep that in mind...

I know it helps to vent. Sometimes just telling someone how aggravating something is makes you feel better. Anytime you need to, feel free to come on here and tell us "MY MOM IS DRIVING ME NUTS! She doesn't UNDERSTAND me! I feel like she doesn't even want to."

But watch out for how your rants affect your attitude. EVEN IF your mom is unsympathetic and uncaring, it might be a bad idea to go saying she's "so stupid," because it will color your perception of her. You'll start to think of her as stupid, and that will show in your treatment of her and in your behavior. Even if she's being unfair, God calls us to honor our parents. (And yes, I know how very hard that can be.)

If she's unreasonable, you have to be extra reasonable, but never in a smug or condescending manner. Do everything you can to maintain your cool, and think hard before you speak. Don't try to make her look or feel stupid; she's the parent, so YOU are the one who will lose. And if you make her feel like an idiot, she's unlikely to work out a compromise with you.

Also, it sounds like she thinks you shirk your responsibilities to play games and spend time online. The best way to deal with it is to be even more responsible. Make sure you never neglect your homework, your chores, or your church or work obligations to play games. Spend a few minutes picking up your room or whatever before you sit down at the computer,* or make it a point to take out the trash first; whatever your share of the household work is. If you don't have assigned chores, pick something that needs doing and do it when your mom is around the first few times, so she knows you're putting in the effort. And make it a point to ask her when she's really bogged down with dinner or dishes or whatever, "Is there something I can do to help?" Even if she says "no," she will remember that you asked. (Maybe she's just feeling overwhelmed by all the work there is to do.)

I may be totally wrong, but if that IS what's behind her attitude, even if she hasn't said so, your efforts may make things better. Even if it doesn't, you'll have a clear conscience and know you've done the right thing.

I hope things get better, and that you're able to get online soon!

*I've started doing this, because I tend to lose track of time when I'm at the computer, and I kept ending up with not enough time to get everything accomplished.

She probably just wants you to spend more time off the computer. There is a big generation gap due to those of us that use computers and those that are not. Sometimes you just got to obey your parents anyway no matter how you feel about it. God will bless you for obeying your parents.

Thanks for saying what I was thinking MM. As a mom I have been trying to figure out how to respond. Having a mom I can totally understand the whole "She doesn't get what I am trying to say and is driving me crazy" But as a Mom the "stupid" comments hurt a little. We mom's love you guys and are only try to help you grow into the best young men you can be. There will be things we just don't get. There will also be things that we do get and you don't. So just keep in mind that this wont last for long and some day A boy will be telling his friends that you and your wife "drive him crazy" too.

Kel Queen of all Europe

Back