My new headphones saga

exodus

I happen to be in Radio Shack (don't ask why, its a long story) and I see some headphones very similiar to mine, but obviously these had a 'working' mic (since my daughter broke mine a couple weeks ago).

Being the smart guy that I am, and cuz Zealot is hounding me to get a mic, I decide to drop the $14 for the nifty behind the head headphones/mic.

So I get home and plug it in and BOOM! working mic! yay!

So I start to fire up CS when I realize that I only hear sound in my left ear.

So I check my audio panel make sure I'm 'balanced' (insert joke here) and sure enough I am. So I test out the Radio Shack headphones on the laptop, and yes, you guessed it, same problem. I'm mildly unstable at this point because I JUST BOUGHT THESE.

I recover sanity long enough to look for a mono/stereo button cuz knowing me it'd be something stupid and small (cuz I believe God has a sense of humor like that) and here I am losing my wits over a switch. Alas, no switch, only a volume control.

At this point I'm doing a great job of self control... I'm furious at a new product out of the box not working (this is one of those inner turmoil moments where you don't want to show your family how immature you really are) but somehow I maintain control in spite of myself.

I start whining to an online friend and he says (and this is the moral of the story) "well I guess that proves you get what you pay for". You know how sometimes you wish you could reach through and smack someone online? Ok maybe its only me... Looks like the next time I buy gaming gear its back to www.thinkgeek.com for me.

The funniest part of the story is that just to prove how stubborn I am (never give up, never give in!) I'm exchanging the headphones for a brand new (Radio Shack) pair! w000!
smile.gif

Whats the over/under on how long this new pair lasts?

gg radio shack.

*whipes a tear from his eye*

What a great story!

Action, drama, heart break, it has it all!

*hands exodus an Academy Award*

And i agree with maxx... radio shack is the sux0r

I dont buy any computer stuff, I let my brother buy it, then I just use it
biggrin.gif
(Inless on my own computer, then I wait for b-day or christmas)

I use a $30-$40 dollar pair of stereo headphones and the regular mic that came with my PC. It works well, I think. It's unbelievable the difference it makes between a $14 and a $40 pair of headphones...trust me!

I used to use those "earbuds" but I gave those up and have those huge "Mickey Mouse" looking headphones. I hear every single thing...including those nubs on the other team....

j/k - however, they are still nubs.

I like the big ones because they drown everything else out for ultimate hearing - especially when my wife turns on the stereo surround on her movies and I can't hear a dern thing....

=\

Yeah, our big screen TV is in the room next to the computer, and my parents are really sick of trying to watch movies and hear me screaming through my mic at the same time  
biggrin.gif

Radio Shack actually isn't too bad. It's a good place to get electronic parts that you couldn't find elsewhere. It's not their fault if the headphones don't work, they only buy the headphones.  

I have a nice pair of Sony Headphones, although I want to get some sound cancelling headphones like Elite is talking about. Dj style headphones-I like trance/techno anyway, might as well look like a dj.

Oh, and who needs a mic. anyway? Mics are for nubs. Typing is for l337z0|25

i had a good pair of stereo headphones that werent designed for computer use, but they didnt have a mic so i had to put a cheap mic around my neck and stick the thing up my my mouth.
I hated having 2 cords hanging off me so i got a new pair with a mic.
the footsteps dont sound as directional now which kinds sux
mad.gif
, but there is way more bass.

actually, I use a RadioShack $20 dealie. setreo headphones+mic

works wonders. mom got it for me for Christmas. w00t w00t w00t.

however, before that... this is funny... I used normal 2.1 speakers, and had one of those telemarketer headsets (one hear+mic, you know those?). I put it around my neck, and only plugged in the mic plug.
biggrin.gif

then my dad snapped it off.... how, I don't know.

I use digital quality headphones from my mp3 player and I use my mic with stand from my old old old Packard Bell =) hey, it works

rofl@Z, I have an old PB mic. too
Mine's from like 1997/1998, but as you said, it works.
smile.gif

I use that same Mic...it works well as far as I know...right?

Can you hear me now? Good!

Anyways, those big ol' headphones are great, and they put out a lot of bass to which I like to work and listen to my dance/techno music.

Well, yes, I do. In my tiny little cubicle in a mass cubicle farm stretched across 58,000 square feet at Finish Line headquarters.

=\

Corporate America stinks...bleh. At least I have my own cubicle tho...weeee.

Back