Need help!

Zealot

I'm running WIN98SE and I lost the paperwork with my comp specs on it. I really need to know the speed of my processor so I can get a new video card.. I've been told that if I go higher than what I have now my chip would blow =/

your chip wouldn't really blow, you just wouldn't get any improvement. I don't know what video card you have now, but if it was from the same generation, don't upgrade just the vid card. If the vid card is older, than go ahead, if the vid card is newer, than don't either. (older/newer than the CPU)

And I'm pretty sure you might want a new motherboard with a faster bus to take advantage of whatever you upgrade.

*edit* did you mean blow up or suck?

I've never heard of that before (a chip blowing because of the video card). Like SirLagalott said, you just wouldn't see much improvement. It's hard to say which video card to get without knowing which one you already have. You will also need to find out if you have an AGP slot or if it's PCI. You should probably look for something like one of the earlier Radeon's, or a GeForce 2MX (maybe a 4MX). They are not the latest/greatest, but probably around the limit of what will be best for your comp specs.

My recommendation is to post in the CCGR section of this forum. There is a special Hardware section and the people there have quite a bit of knowledge on video cards. Check it out here. They will probably know, based your specs, which is best, how much video RAM will be best, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SirLagalott @ Feb. 22 2003,9:08)]your chip wouldn't really blow, you just wouldn't get any improvement. I don't know what video card you have now, but if it was from the same generation, don't upgrade just the vid card. If the vid card is older, than go ahead, if the vid card is newer, than don't either. (older/newer than the CPU)

And I'm pretty sure you might want a new motherboard with a faster bus to take advantage of whatever you upgrade.

*edit* did you mean blow up or suck?
i ment blow up, poof... also suck but i didn't think of it at the time.. heh

i think what i really need is a new monitor... i mainly only have a brightness problem.. the low fps i can deal with for now

Go into start menu, click run. type dxdiag. Tell you all you need to know.

You might get a popup warning saying,
"Get a new computer!"

heh, at that point I would procede in tearing out the motherboard and feeding it to the neighboors dog and laughing "Who needs a new computer now! HUH? I do...." then I'd cry =/

I think I need to be alone now ....

Back