New Character

Hey everyone! I've been feeling kind of Mesmered-out lately, so I wanted to play through Nightfall with a new toon. Now I'm up in the air with what profession to be. I've narrowed it down to Paragon or Ranger, so if anyone has time, I'm looking to be sold on one.

Or just tell me why I should suck it up and keep playing my trusty Mesmer. Thanks!

-Chadley

Because mesmers are the most amazingly wonderful character class out there? And because it takes real skill to play a mesmer well?

All that's true, but there's no reason you can't make a new toon. I could never get into the paragon, but I really like my ranger. :)

Try out both. As long as you dont spend too much time with them you can just delete and remake.

Paragon, easily. Unlike the Ranger with their Preps and such, Paragon just run into battle, stop midway and scream at the party without any pants on, which is a nice change of pace from the slower long-cast classes (which use pants). Plus their Primary Attribute is pretty awesome, like a friendly (albeit weaker) Soul Reaping (like a... Voice Reaping! ;D). It's crap early on, but when you start getting the 6-8 people groups, it really shines since your energy rarely drops below 5. (And yet when it does, you just use an adrenaline shout like GFTE! to bring it back up.) It's a fun fast-paced class that has unstripple effects on your allies, endless burning with like 2 skills, good DPS, a great'holy' class (with wings), unlimited energy with enough people, good team support, a wide array of condition attacks, and the only class without pants (the real reason to go it. :p) There are times when I feel like I want to add an extra 4 or so skills to my bar, but I can't.

Then again, Rangers get... uh, flamingos. Yeah, flamingos are cool, right?! (Oh, and they get pants... booo.) I maxed my armor on my level 3 Ranger, but now I feel the fool since I wanted their interrupts and decent skills, but might just make a Mesmer instead since I don't feel like grabbing 23 bows to do 4 things.

I don't like pre-battle preps and such when I play (or long casting), which is why I hated the Dervish and the MM Necro. So far Warrior and Paragon have been my favorite classes. ^_^

/Bias

Last edited:
But I've always thought Paragons were VERY pants... :D

I don't like pre-battle preps and such when I play (or long casting), which is why I hated the Dervish and the MM Necro. So far Warrior and Paragon have been my favorite classes. ^_^

/Bias

Warriors are fantasticly useful in most PvE environments and not particularly tricky to play in terms of skill activation, timing, having the right weapon, etc. But ultimately I think my favorite in terms of both PvE suitability and playing enjoyment is still a Ranger, with or without the flamingo. They're very survivable characters for one thing (troll unguent and all that), but they've also got a fantastically diverse skill set, with trapping, condition-causing, interrupts, spirits, all kinds of great stuff.

Paul

I AM leaning toward the Ranger I've started, and not just because he's several levels ahead of the Paragon. It's more because the Ranger <i>is</i> so diverse. However, much like the Assassin for a long time, I think the Paragon is a really under-appreciated class, and I'd be interested to see what it can really do.

But if it's not going to be too exciting, the last thing I want to do is get bored halfway through and start playing the Ranger again. The one big upside to the Paragon is that it is a total change of pace from my Me/R (which basically does anything I want to do with Ranger skills). I thought about starting the Paragon with a Monk secondary, so I could get a big dose of support class all in one char. I may play with the Paragon today and see if I change my mind.

Any thoughts on my thoughts (or any further thoughts from anyone) would be much appreciated!

-Chadley

I have a paragon and they are known to turn the game into "god mode". If you have factions you can get the skill "save yourselves" from the kurzicks. This gives +100 armor to the party. The pve skill "there is nothing to fear" reduces damage on the party. Along with "watch yourself" your party can tank to no end.

That said I find rangers more fun to play. Ranger is my primary character and I love playing as him. I use my paragon not as much because shouting all the time can get boring.

I also enjoyed playing with my ranger alot, but the paragon as mentioned earlier is an underappreciated class. Right now I am running a P/R Burning Barrager build, where I set everyone on fire with barrage and then reduce damage to the entire party with shouts. it also works very well will searing Flames. Paragon skills are very unique and interesting so it will be a challange, but Rangers are truly very fun to play with.

Back