New City of Heroes Chapter?

David's Sling

I was considering moving back over to City of Heroes (and City of Villains) after a lengthy absence. I had noticed that there was no CGA chapter for that game, and I was wondering if there were any others here who played it.

Nothing is certain yet, but if I get back into CoH/CoV with any frequency I would be more than willing to help get a chapter going. If the leadership here approves, I could form a supergroup (i.e. guild) and incorporate it into CGA.

Again, though, my return to that game is uncertain as of this time.
Any suggestions, comments, or ideas would be most welcome! :)

God bless.

If you're asking about starting a chapter for a specific game, you're probably thinking of Tribe of Judah rather than the CGA.

The Alliance is a gathering of Christian gaming groups and web sites, while Tribe of Judah is a Christian gaming group (and an Alliance affiliate) with chapters for several popular online games.

Think of the Alliance like a huge umbrella and Tribe of Judah as one of several people underneath it.

Thank you very much for that clarification. I hadn't fully understood the distinction until now. So then, should this thread be moved?

I would still appreciate any comments you have.

So then, should this thread be moved?
Thread moved.

I would still appreciate any comments you have.
There's been talks of starting a Tribe of Judah City of Heroes chapter before, but with no one to lead the chapter, it never took off.

Based on what I know about the game, I would be willing to support a CoH chapter, but I'd want to know whoever stepped up as Chapter Leader was in it for the long haul.

Ok, thank you very much. I have past experience in leading guilds, and would be more than willing to start things up. If I return to that game, I plan on sticking with it for a while. Though, I will not know for several days if my schedule will allow for such.

[edit]

And, it would be VERY helpful to know how many others here play CoH. If you could, please post here. An in-game name would be great too, but really numbers are what I am looking for right now.

Last edited:
my brother plays it all the time, but come January when his son's born, his online time will most likely be diminished. I'm not sure about his ign or anything... I think he plays with the Sons of Data or something like that... I tried to play it, but it didn't like my video card or Windows installation or something.

I have just received confirmation of my schedule, and it will allow for ample time to start up a CoH chapter.

I am drafting up a charter now. I have decided on a name, though of course I am still open to suggestions.

"Knights of Elohim," perhaps?

I can be reached mostly as Chashak, my defender.

------------------

If there are enough of us to make a chapter successful, I really need input from the CoH players here. That way, I can get a grasp on what numbers we would be working with. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm trying out the trial and it seems interesting :) I will be deciding whether to buy the full version shortly. I would def be up for joining you.

However, even if our numbers are not enough to form a supergroup there, there are features in place to allow us to still stay together in-game: global (i.e. not character or server specific) chat channels. We could form one to allow us to stay together even if we end up in different supergroups. However, this is only a plan B if the supergroup doesn't work out. (which i really hope it will.)

I started the trial on one of the servers but it was virtually impossible to find a group, so I made a new villain on freedom (which seems to have the most people). Thus far I am up to lvl24 and it is pretty fun, particularly in the larger groups with 2-3 masterminds (as you have a literal horde of people shooting and dying).

One of the nice things IMO is that it mixes different themes. One set of bad guys may be medieval, while another modern, while another jump troopers. Which is different from some of the more strictly themed MMOs.

The graphics are pretty good, considering the age. Once you bump up the LOD factor then things really shine (literally, the bump mapping and shine look pretty good). The game also has distance blur, which if you bump way up looks pretty neat. Once you get into a good sized group the battles look pretty amazing, barely comprehensible and entirely entertaining.

The only downside that I see is that you have to tread carefully when choosing powers (you can respec 3 times for free as your character levels, but those missions are really hard and I have yet to complete one yet).

The game reminds me a lot of the old SWG, but with all the annoying tidbits stripped out and a whole new level of customization for the character.

What server?

David's Sling...what server are you looking at and which side are you looking at playing? I haven't played for awhile because I've been playing Team Fortress 2 and just picked up Warhammer but was curious. If I remember correctly, I've got some Heroes on Freedom and Villains on Triumph...including a lvl 50 Thermal Corrupter.

Lance

I am mainly on Champion server. My highest level is a 37 Defender called Chashak. I have recently joined the Crusaders for Christ (a Christian Supergroup that I found there) as an unofficial ambassador of sorts from ToJ, and invited them to the SoE Bible Study, but so far they seem fairly inactive. However, CoH/CoV has a new server transfer and character renaming service, so even when considering our higher level characters, server is now a variable we can play around with. We could find the most active server, or the server with the most of us playing, and then agree to switch everyone else over to match.

Servers

For the next few weeks I'm going to try to focus on Warhammer more than my other games to give it a solid chance. But, I do miss CoH/CoV...well, not so much CoV since I made the big push early summer and got a villain to lvl 50 and pretty much got burnt out on it. I may be interested in hopping back on the Heroes side in the future. Ack, so many games, so little time.....

I know what you mean about inactive groups. I never was able to find a SG or VG that had a really significant number of people playing on a regular basis. What is your play schedule? Afternoons, evenings, weekends? The server character transfer thing is interesting; my highest hero is a Tanker that I believe is around 35.

Lance

Looking at overall server status, Freedom does seem significantly more active than Champion, depending on the time of day of course. I am mostly online for weekends and evenings, though I can sometimes slip on for a few afternoons.

Though not completely inactive, Champion server does have a smaller population, and you really feel that when playing at odd times. In one trip to Siren's Call (a particular PvP designated zone, for those that don't know) I was one of only three heroes ON THE MAP. We grouped together and picked on the ONE (1, uno, singular) villain that was on at the time, and killed him over and over until he left.

Grouping for task forces and other missions that require (or are less frustrating with) a team can be tedious to get together at times as well. Overall, though, it seems to not be too bad on Champion as long as you are on at "peak" hours, or at least relatively close to them.

[edit]
Oh, and I also venture over to the Dark Side from time to time, though not often.
My main villain is a lvl 16 Robotics Mastermind called Savage Tech.

Last edited:
Memory...

I just remembered...my Heroes are on the Pinnacle server. Wow, I guess it's been awhile since I've played. I'm currently inactive, but if you have any other interested people, I may be up for hopping on sometime while utilizing the character swap option so we can all be on the same server. The Freedom server would definitely be an option, especially on the Heroes side I know it was always busy in the past.

Lance

Yes, I have noticed that the Freedom server has moderate population density almost constantly without exception, while the other servers only occasionally push into that range during peak hours. This would allow for greater supergroup size, team availability and PvP activity, as well as increased Christian outreach opportunities due to the large number of people. If we can get enough people to respond, I think Freedom server may be the way to go.

one other thing: some of us have been using TS a lot to communicate, but right now there is no CoH/CoV channel on our server. Would it be possible to create a channel for that purpose? So far, we have just picked a channel to use at random! ;)

I'll give the trial a shot. Only WAR and CoH actually interest me at the moment.

one other thing: some of us have been using TS a lot to communicate, but right now there is no CoH/CoV channel on our server. Would it be possible to create a channel for that purpose? So far, we have just picked a channel to use at random! ;)
Sling: I believe Tribe of Judah used to have a CoH channel on the CGA TeamSpeak Server. It would probably be a fairly simple task for Stc95, the CGA TS Server Operator, to re-create the channel and give you CA rights.

I'll send Stc95 a PM with a link to this post and a request to re-create the channel.

Yea, Channels aren't hard to make. I'll make one right now and when we are both on some time (normally I'm on after 4pm PST, but taking a short break right now, but I should be on 6PST on Tuesday and Friday nights for PvP) Anyways, the main point is you will have your own channel. You just won't be able to moderate it until we are both on ;).

Not a problem at all. If you need any more channels or questions just send me a PM

EDIT: Alright, you guys are right under the Counter Strike channels. Have fun =D

Last edited:
Gahh, why is the trial patcher so slow. Was at 100kb now it's at 4? Is it torrent software? >_>

Back