New Peeps Getting White listed

Abea

Tribe of Judah Social Media Manager
Given the nature of Minecraft shouldn't there be a different process for getting on the server besides a White List? I don't want to go against and TOJ protocols for members joining games, it's just in minecraft, there is a unique aspect of being griefed and having things stolen and destroyed that doesn't appear in other games.

It might also be beneficial to aid someone on their first day in.

For example: In order to get whitelisted

STEP 1: Post the following information on the forum:

1) Name [User name]
2) Age range (under 10; 11-15; 16-19; 20-29; over 29). [This will help us know just how detailed we have to be with our rules. A 10 year old can not be expected to read the rules and just obey them, we may need to explain it further to them.]
3) Post some members you may know already. [This will help us know if they just randomly ventured in or were referred by a someone already in good standing.]
4) Ask those people to email the Minecraft Chapter Leader to verify that you really do know them.

STEP 2: White list them but do not tell them they are white listed.

STEP 3: Participate in a group meeting/interview

1) Schedule a time when 2-3 members of good standing can meet with them in TS3 or Steam. [Those who are just coming on to grief will not bother with this process. Let them think they will be whitelisted on that date/time. And by member in good standing, I mean anyone who has been on for at least a month and we know doesn't cause problems. That way, there are a large number of people who should be available to participate in this.

STEP 4: Go for a tour.

Have the members in good standing tell them they are now whitelisted and that they will meet them in game. That member give the people a little tour of the place, hang out with them for a bit, help them get situated etc. Spend at least 15-20 minutes (even more) with them. This would be the polite thing to do anyway. Help them maybe find a place.

So, it may seem like a long process, and maybe no one is willing to man it. But it seems to me with all the restrictions and work going into preventing griefing, it would be easier to make sure the people we are letting in aren't a threat in the first place.

Seems to me, sometimes it's not an intentional thing anyway and that with some assistance, it could have been avoided in the first place. This is just a rough go at this, I'm sure with other's input, it could be a very smooth and productive process.

But, as I said in the beginning, I don't want to go against any TOJ protocols for letting people play on TOJ supported games.

Last edited:
Being the one you started all this...I agree with Wolfeman... If we complicated the approval process, the server would drop to maybe a couple active members, and the likely hood of getting anyone new would be slim... I know some people personally that started this server with me, that won't play on this server anymore because it requires you to join the forum...lol...

I know some people personally that started this server with me, that won't play on this server anymore because it requires you to join the forum...lol...

Actually we have several people that are whitelisted in the server that have never joined these forums. They had someone who already had a forum account put their info into the whitelist thread. If the people who started it with you are really interested in playing, put their info up for them.

Of course, I"m sure they have other reasons for not joining. Just having to join a forum and post one post is a pretty dumb reason not to play. There has to be more to it.

Even if nobody ever really posts, joining a forum and making a single post to say hello shouldn't really be that great of an effort. It's true that when I first started playing minecraft, I just wanted to get in and explore worlds, not spend days jumping through hoops.

Still, subscribing to the forums is pretty instant, and it's a good idea to post your request to be whitelisted anyway. Many servers do much more and not only have a larger questionaire to fill out, but when you get in, you have to find an admin to give you permission to build once you've read the rules, and then you have to wait for a city admin to come on to tell you where you're allowed to build.

So I'm not wanting to fan any flames, but I really don't think subscribing and requesting to be whitelisted is anything that is too difficult to do.

I guess I should clarify that I am ok with things the way they are right now. Just seems that we keep restricting those who play often just to protect people from those who just might grief. As I stated in Wolfe's resignation post, I think of griefers as the natural disasters of the minecraft world. I've been griefed before, remember the whole pig incident? I know pigs did not destroy my noteblock room in the back of my house, underground. I spent hours on that thing and Lost_Shep had just got it working for me. But it was destroyed. I didn't complain, I just used it to make it better. And as far as mob griefing, lol we all know I lived in Creeperville for a long time. My nice glass block house was blown up at least 8 times a day, and usually not by me. I was used to logging on to a note (sign) left on my lawn with an apology.

Seems like everyone is so paranoid about griefers, we are planning things around them now.
It's part of the game and part of life. But I'd rather restrict the process than the game, as a preventative.

But you guys have made some really good points, so we can just let things be the way they are. I have not problems with it, just made a suggestion to see how it would go.

Back