New Planets

tjguitarz

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-08/17/content_4971729.htm

Ok... I'll start.

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Charon, Xena (We'll assume 2003 UB313 will be called Xena, although an X or a U will be allowed).
M V E M C J S U N P C X/U

Many Vampires Eat M&M Colored Jump-ropes So Underlings, Not Pandas, Consume Xanthate.

Master-chief Very Excitedly Mushed Cheetos, Jalepinos, and Sunchips Under Naturally Pacific Clusters of Xylem.

My Very Educated Mother Carelessly Just Served Us Nine Pizzas - Certainly Xenophilic.

Ah yes I heard something about that on the radio a week or so ago.
"A planet is a celestial body that has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and is in orbit around a star, and is neither a star nor a satellite of a planet."
Still confused how Charon is reclassified as a planet (or "pluton") since if it was previously a moon of Pluto surely it must orbit Pluto :S

My Very Educated Mother Carelessly Just Served Us Nine Pizzas - Certainly Xenophilic

Perfect, I love it! Except when Charon is inside of Pluto, in which case:

My Very Educated Mother Carelessly Just Served Us Nine Crappy Pizzas - Xenophobic

...they should just declassify pluto.

Last I read, they said they didn't want to do that, because it could confuse too many people.

The same reason that the US still teaches some metric, but doesn't make the big switch from our current measuring systems.

From Ember's Link: (bold is my emphasis)

The decision at a conference of 2,500 astronomers from 75 countries was a dramatic shift from just a week ago, when the group’s leaders floated a proposal that would have reaffirmed Pluto’s planetary status and made planets of its largest moon and two other objects.

That plan proved highly unpopular, splitting astronomers into factions and triggering days of sometimes combative debate that led to Pluto’s undoing. In the end, only about 300 astronomers cast ballots.

Please tell me that they weren't fist fighting over Pluto.

Seeing Pluto leave is kind of like throwing away an old box of cereal. You say, "aww darn," but then you realize you really don't care.

What on earth possessed the Disney creative team to name a dog after the Roman god of the underworld? Anyone ever think about that?

</offtopic>

The actions and intentions of said company are a thread unto itself. But it does make you wonder. Why not just name him Cerberus. :eek:

Back