New rage generation formula

Tinie

Effective with the next patch.

Random poster:

Was this forumla made by a player, or was it a blue posted it? I've tried to put it up with any data i've gathered from alpha, Kalagan's post etc. and it's just not right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per Kalgan:

Those are definitely inaccurate.

Here are the current rage generation formulae (note: these are slightly different than the ones which are on the current public test realms).

The notable changes include an update to offhand rage generation (previously it was not being normalized correctly), and an improvement to rage generation from crits (essentially, crits now generate double the rage the hit would have ordinarily caused). The later change should help ensure that certain specs (ie: sword specialization) don't become clearly superior to crit-enhancing specializations like Axe/Polearm.

For Dealing Damage:
Main Hand Normal Hits: Factor=2.5
Main Hand Crits: Factor=5.0
Off Hand Normal Hits: Factor=1.25
Off Hand Crits: Factor=2.5

Rage Conversion Value (note: this number is derived from other values within the game such as a mob's hit points and a warrior's expected damage value against that mob):

Rage Conversion at level 60: 230.6
Rage Conversion at level 70: 274.7

Expansion Rage Gained from dealing damage = ((Damage Dealt) / (Rage Conversion at Your Level) * 7.5 + (Weapon Speed * Factor))/2

Pre-Expansion Rage Gained from dealing damage = (Damage Dealt) / (Rage Conversion at Your Level) * 7.5

For Taking Damage (both pre and post expansion):
Rage Gained = (Damage Taken) / (Rage Conversion at Your Level) * 2.5

Rage calculator:

http://vanthia.com/ragenorm/

Last edited:
Yes...that addition of (Weapon Speed * Factor) does not seem to offset the strait halfing of rage in the expansion. Not by a long shot. Some peoples fears that rage normalization = rage generation nerf appears to be true. Kinda happy I decided to roll a rogue.

Sean

I have heard about this for a while, and I have to be honest saying that at least for a while I am afraid that Blizzard may have made warrior much weaker tanks than ever before. While I certainly hope it's not the case, it may make paladins stronger tanks that warriors. I really hope that's not the case, because if it is all my warrior is good for is providing gimped dps. I have seen videos of duel wielding fury warriors in the xpac, and it seems more than ever that's the way to go to generate enough rage to actually use your abilities.

I have heard numerous reports of even well geared arms warriors not even being to get enough rage to take advatage of the reduced cooldown time for MS that some of the new talents offer, and in general that 2H rage generation is very poor.

Blizzard still has time to address this, and hopefully some of these reports are over stated.... yet I am concerned about the future of the class.

I think warriors need to think outside the box a bit. I think blizzard's changes are to make sure that no one class can be the "be all" to the party. Instead, it truly becomes a group effort, for example, the hunter's "misdirection" on a warrior to generate piles of aggro on the tank is one way warriors maintain the primary role of tanking but now it is a team effort to make sure they keep aggro.

Let me clarify when I said "Not Good."

I meant: "Not Good for Warriors."

It doesn't faze me (or a pally) at all. I think Adam is right, I think they are trying to balance the class tanking so that choosing the right tank is part of the strategy of the BC battles.

Great for other tanks as you say, but what about any other occasion other than warriors tanking in a raid group? Or a competent 5/10 man group? This concerns me greatly in terms of pvp or sole pve. If your struggling to generate enough rage to even use the ablilities that are available then whats the point?

But at this point it is still beta. I can hope that if the rage generation is too low then adjustments will be made. Can you tell what my first class was? :)

Sean

Back