Nintendo Revolution renamed

What do you think of Revolution's new name?

• Wii? Wii Wii! It sounds cool.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • This is as bad as painting the GCN indigo, bring back Revolution!

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I don't care if they call it "Super Happy Fun Box!", show me the games!

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Pffttt....console plebeians.

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters
I think it's a dumb name, but that didn't stop the Dreamcast.

Oh wait...

Still though, I am genuinely interested in seeing how it plays.

Wii? That's pretty darn stupid if you ask me. I say they should have stuck with the Revolution. At least "Revolution" is an actual word. Wii is just a... sound?

Note that there is very little phonetic difference between "I got a Wii" and "I gotta Wii."

Google was a good name except that they misspelled Googol.

Napster was a good name considering that it was originally used just for swapping rare Reggae tunes.

iPod is really the exception to the rule.

Last edited:
Okay, I've been converted. It's not as fun to say, but I think the visual of the word is pretty neat.

Chances are, I'll call it the Revolution when I talk, but I'll type "Wii".

Wow, Nintendo seems bent on destroying itself with sheer stupidity. First, the Gamecube (some fun games, true) was a poorly manufactured kiddy console, the original GBA was a nightmare to play at night, and the Metroid movie still isn't out yet.

They should rename it the Revelation because it is the last chapter in Nintendo's canon.

Wow, Nintendo seems bent on destroying itself with sheer stupidity. First, the Gamecube (some fun games, true) was a poorly manufactured kiddy console, the original GBA was a nightmare to play at night, and the Metroid movie still isn't out yet.

They should rename it the Revelation because it is the last chapter in Nintendo's canon.
So which company are you a fanboy of, Talesin, Sony or Microsoft? :D

I think you're passing judgement too quickly on this, especially with words like "it is". Why not wait until it actually launches, then we'll see who comes out on top. And, by the way, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. I enjoy all three consoles (of this generation, at least) very much. However, I think Nintendo has the advantage this time around.

At Nintendo's defense, read this:

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0427.1154.38678.htm

Especially this part, in case you're not inclined to read the whole interview:
GI: This is going to sound really crass and rude, but a child’s way of saying they have to go to the bathroom is saying they have to go wee. Doesn’t that concern you at all?

Atwood: No. Anytime you announce a new name you’re going to get a lot of questions and the whys. If you look at what TiVo did or Virgin Airline for instance, a sort of tie in for example. Those names have become household names and it had nothing to do with that at all. We wanted a name that represented the fact that this system was really for everyone to play. And Wii, the word, is W-i-i, and the two I’s represent both people and the controllers. So, it’s really not about this sort of tongue in cheek.

Again if you look at things like Yahoo! Or Virgin, or Caterpillar or Naked Juice, or Prius – the car, or Napster – these names either have funny connotations or don’t make sense initially. But if you look at how we support this, and what the name represents, I think it makes sense.

Not a console fanboy, although I have all 3 current generation consoles (I sell them on the side) and am really looking forward to the PS3. My worries is that Nintendo is moving in the wrong direction on this one. I've loved Nintendo since the original NES (which I still have and occassionally play.) Maybe the Wii will be beyond my wildest imagination, but so far I haven't seen anything that really grabs my attention with it. Yes, it is innovative, but it takes more than just new ideas...it takes acceptance by the public of those ideas. Otherwise Microsoft Bob would have taken off, or the TurboGraphix. Nintendo is hurting financially, and they have a lot riding on the Wii. Best wishes for Nintendo, but I think they are gonna be stomped by the 360 and the PS3. Now, if the price point is down in the $299-$349 range, they may get enough sales to survive until the next generation...

Speaking of consoles, anyone know what happened to the Phantom?

it takes acceptance by the public of those ideas.
True. But, the public has yet to experience those ideas, so it's still to early to make those judgement calls.
Now, if the price point is down in the $299-$349 range, they may get enough sales to survive until the next generation...
Heheh, now you're backing off, I see. =) Well, if you're referring to the Revolution's cost, it will not be more than $300. Historically, Nintendo has not released a console over $200, even. There are also rumors that they will go even lower.

Bottom line, though, just wait and see what Nintendo has to offer. There are still quite a few things we don't yet know about the Revolution/Wii, so just hold tight a couple more weeks until E3.

I would have to say that Wii just sounds kinda dumb, I would rather it be called the "Super Happy Fun Box" before Wii.

Everything I have read indicates a price point under $250 for the new Nintendo System. The system is not going to be a huge departure from the Gamecube, similar architecture to keep the price down. Unlike the Xbox 360 and PS3 that production costs are crippling the company as you can see here and here.

If this wasn't bad enough, the company revealed that its games division -- the most profitable part of the Sony corporate empire -- was expected to post a loss of ¥100 billion or $875 million at current exchange rates over the coming fiscal year. Sony attributes this loss to the start-up costs needed to develop the PlayStation 3. In contrast, for the current fiscal quarter, the games division posted operating income of ¥8.7 billion ($75 million) and sales of ¥958.6 billion ($8.2 billion).

The primary reason cited for the increased operating loss for the division involves the relationship between the selling price and the current manufacturing cost of the Xbox 360. Many analysts believe that Microsoft is selling the next-generation console at a loss of about $125 per unit

I don't see why everyone gets hung up on the controller, it will be used in a lot of innovative games, but they have already made clear you can use Gamecube controllers with the console for more traditional games. I do agree the name is terrible but when I first heard Xbox 360 I thought it was a late April fools joke too.

Just wanted to post something I saw earlier this years estimates for Nintendo http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2662&Itemid=2.

The company has re-estimated a net profit of 95 billion yen ($807 million) for the year ended March 31, compared with its previous forecast of $637 million. Last year the firm took £739 million.

Nintendo says strong sales of DS have helped the numbers, as well as favorable international exchange rates. The announcement took analysts by surprise, most of whom had estimates way lower than Nintendo's figure.

I don't see why everyone says nintendo is failing, when they are the only gaming division out of the three major console players that is actually showing a profit. Microsoft Sinks money into the console from its limitless coffers but has yet to make ANY profit. Sony has been losing money for quite a few years even while they had the biggest market share. If any of the gaming copanies was close to going out of busniess I would say it is sony, who is failing in almost every market as of late.

Last edited:
I am a HUGE Nintendo fan. I have a Gamecube and think its awesome (stupid that they use minidiscs /slap nintendo). The name WII is growing on me. Revolution sounded too serious to be from Nintendo. Historically, Nintendo has named their platforms so they would attract younger audiences, Gamecube for example, and dont forget the Super Nintendo. Granted Sony and Microshaft's Xbox have some pretty cool games, i like the way Nintendo makes you play their games. Duck Hunt for example.

Nintendo / PC > Everything

Okay, Okay...maybe I am just reacting to the name. Wii....it's going to be the butt of many many jokes for a while. I'll play nice and wait until it comes out. I have to get some for my store anyways, so I might as well get used to the idea of having it around. Nintendo will be in trouble when the target market grows up, though.

Back