Not yet named MMO from Blizzard?

Avesther

I wanted to take a moment to let the community know that I’ve switched roles here at Blizzard to work on our upcoming, unannounced MMO. World of Warcraft has been such a central part of my life these past six and a half years, and it’s success would not have been possible without the tremendous community around it, so I wanted to say thank you to all our players who’ve shared this amazing experience with us so far. Also, while I have served as the spokesperson and Game Director for World of Warcraft on Wrath of the Lich King, by no means would WoW be where it is today without the dedicated team that we have in place. The WoW development team is comprised of some of the most talented and experienced game developers in the world, and it was an absolute honor to serve amongst them, and they will continue to make WoW better than ever. I still plan to be very involved with the future course of World of Warcraft, but will leave the day to day operations of World of Warcraft to my partners in crime, Tom Chilton and J. Allen Brack.

When all is said and done, WoW is still my favorite game. I play it every day. None of that passion is gone. If anything, it fuels the challenge of making our next MMO even better. We know we have some big shoes to fill. So thank you to everyone who has been so supportive over the years, and likewise, thanks to those who have given us pointed feedback on all areas of the game. Without all of the feedback and participation, WoW would not be the game that it has grown to be. Azeroth truly belongs to you and we’re lucky to have shared in your journey. And as always, I’ll still be lurking on the forums and in the game.
Mostly, I just wanted to say thanks. It has been an absolute honor.

Jeffrey Kaplan

What is meant by this?

Conspiracy theories only please! Lets hear them!

I would think Starcraft MMO is the winner as well. As much as I like the idea of a space-based MMO, I don't think it works as well as the high-fantasy theme does. MMO-RPGs just work really well as swords n goblins and any other theme they try to apply it too fails for the most part.

They first announced this (http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/04/27/blizzard-planning-a-new-mmo-but-which-one/) last April when they announced Starcraft 2. It's good to see some leads are finally moving over to the new game and hopefully its a sign they are on the home stretch (1.5 years) from launching something playable.

I read somewhere in an interview (from London?) they said the game was going to be new IP or lore so it would neither be Warcraft or Starcraft or Diablo. Who knows though.

Found the link for the interview : http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164522.html

Last edited:
I would also say that it will probably be Starcraft MMO. I had not heard the information that Lloren poste dsaying that it would be a new IP from Blizzard. If so, then rock on Blizz! I only hope that it is also in a fantasy type setting. Space MMO's dont' seem to do so well.

i think that it will be something completely different just cause that way they can take over all games!
maybe it will be kinda like war in a sense so they can take over it!

I think a Starcraft MMO would be amazing IF they do it right. Most space based MMO's have failed but I think Blizz could make a truly epic game with this IP. I would personally love to play a RTS/MMO or FPS/MMO hybrid if they can make it work.

I've heard from people that attended Blizzcon that they announced that the next MMO would be a brand new IP. I have no idea what this new IP could be though. Where haven't they gone yet that could be interesting? Only thing coming to mind is a western but I wouldn't play that.

I'd have to say a SC MMO or even a diablo mmo. I mean look at blizz's record...SC, BW, Diablo, D2d, D2xp, warcraft 1, 2, 3, then WoW.

I can't see Blizz taking such a big risk by moving to uncharted territory of setting up new lore, lands etc..If anything we can say about Blizz is that they are consistent.

Back