Official Guild Wars 2 Guild Discussion Thread

Stc95

Tribe of Judah Guild Wars Chapter Leader
Originally when GW2 was announced everyone kept asking what we as a guild and alliance were going to do in GW2 and I had to respond that we had too little information and too much time to do any sort of planning. However it looks like that is all changing now!

Here's what we know about the guild system in GW2

• Guilds are account-based and you can represent one guild at a time.
  • Guilds have a new feature in GW2: influence
  • Influence is gained through solo-play, group-play, and PvP and goes toward the guild you are currently representing.
  • Influence can be spent by the guild in several categories, each with their own perks:
    • Politics - PvE buffs, guild emblems, guild armor and weapon contracts and guild party items.
      Ex.
      • +5% influence for 24 hours. Requires 50 influence, lasts 1 day.
      • Research Politics level 2. Requires 1,000 influence, takes 1 day.
      • +5% Exp Public Banner – Spawns a guild banner that will give +5% exp to any ally that touches it for one hour. Stacks with other exp buffs. Requires 100 influence, takes 12 hours
      • +10% Influence from Events – Hire an event herald to increase the influence your guild earns from doing events for 24 hours. Requires 200 influence, takes 1 day.
      • Guild Armorer Contract – Allows guild members to purchase armor items that display the guild emblem. Vendors are available in major cities. (Requires Politics – Emblem Template) Requires 500 influence, takes 1 day.
      • Contract Asuran Outsourcing — A freelance Asuran Lab will help you develop one upgrade without using up one of your work slots. Requires 200 influence, takes 1 day.
      • Guild Weapons Contract – Allows guild members to purchase weapon items that display the guild emblem. Vendors are available in major cities (Requires Politics – Emblem Template) Requires 1,000 influence, takes 1 day.
      • +20% Dungeon Influence for 24 hours — A dungeon survey before beginning will increase dungeon influence rewards by 20%. Lasts 24 hours. Requires 200 influence, takes 1 day.
      • Guild Banquet. Spawns a banquet table, keg and various other party items which players can eat and drink from. Lasts 1 hour. Requires 1,000 influence, takes 3 days.
    • Economy - Karma, experience, magic find and gathering buffs.
      Ex.
      • Research Economy Level 1 – Increase your guilds skill in the field of Economy to level 1. Requires 500 influence. Takes 16 hours.
      • +5% Karma from Events for 3 days – For 3 days, your guild receives an additional 5% Karma from all events. Requires 200 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • +5% Exp for 3 days – Improve guild experience gain by 5% for 3 days. Requires 200 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • +10 Magic Find for 3 days – For 3 days, guild members have 10% better chance to find rare loot. Traveling Antique Shows are great! Requires 200 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • +10% Gathering Bonus for 3 days – For 3 days guild members have 10% better chance to find rare materials from mining, logging and harvesting. Requires 200 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • +15% Karma from Events for 24 hours – For 24 hours your guild receives an additional 15% Karma from all events. Requires 500 influence. Takes 2 days.
    • Art of War - WvW buffs and WvW and Structured PvP influence gain buffs, less-costly siege weaponry, and suits.
      Ex.
      • Research Art of War Level 1 – Increase your guilds skill in the Art of War to level 1. Requires 500 influence. Takes 16 hours.
      • +10% PvP Influence for 3 days – All influence earned in pvp is increased by 10% for 3 days. Requires 100 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • WvW Fort +10% Experience – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World Vs World will give increased exp to defending allies. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 200 influence. Takes 16 hours.
      • WvW Fort +10% Magic find – for 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give allies a better chance to discover rare loot. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 200 influence. Takes 16 hours.
      • WvW Fort +5 Supply. – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give improved supply to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 200 influence. Takes 16 hours
      • WvW Fort +5 Karma. – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give karma to defending allies for each kill near the fort. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 200 influence. Takes 16 hours.
      • WvW Fort +40 Vitality. – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give improved Vitality to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 200 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • WvW Fort +40 Toughness. – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give improved Toughness to all allies. Lasts 12 hours.
      • WvW Fort +40 Power. – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give improved Power to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 200 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • WvW Fort +40 Precision. – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give improved Precision to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 200 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • WvW Fort +10% Healing. – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give improved Healing to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 200 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • WvW Fort +10% Player Health. – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give improved Health to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 200 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • Guild Catapult. – Create a catapult siege engine that cost less supply to set up than normal. (requires Foundry from Architecture). Requires 500 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • WvW Fort +5% Swiftness. – For 12 hours, any fortification held by your guild in World vs World will give improved Swiftness to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. Requires 500 influence. Takes 1 day.
      • Guild Seige Suit. – Create a siege suit that cost less supply to set up than normal. (requires Foundry from Architecture). Requires 500 influence. Takes 1 day.
    • Architecture - Guild bank, bank expansions and the ability to build more than one upgrade at a time.
      Ex.
      • Research Architecture Level 1 – Increases your guilds skill in the field of Architecture to level 1. Requires 500 influence. Takes 16 hours.
      • Guild Workshop – The workshop allows an additional upgrade to be building simultaneously. Requires 500 influence. Takes 2 days.
      • Guild Stash – Grants access to a 50 slot Guild Vault and gold storage. Requires 1,000 influence. Takes 2 days.
      • Guild Treasure Trove – Grants access to a 100 slot Guild Vault. Requires 5,000 influence. Takes 1 week.
      • Deep Cave – The Deep Cave will expand your treasure trove by another 100 slots. Requires 5,00 influence. Takes 1 week.
      • Influence can also be spent to speed up the building of guild addons

Now begs the question on what each individual guild would like to do in GW2. There are several options we can take, along with pros and cons.

Each guild can do as they wish and transfer over to GW2 on their own. With the multiple guild system, we all can still be in communication and play with each other. Each guild would be able to spend their influence as they wished, whether they want to go a more Architect focused route or Art of War. However, each guild would be left to themselves to gather influence and while the friends list in GW2 I believe is revamped, there is no such thing that I am aware of like an Alliance Chat that we are used to. There also could develop an element of competition to "beat" the other guilds and gain recruits.

Conversely, those guilds that wish to conglomerate in GW2 can and form a "super" guild of sorts. This would allow all members to constantly be with each other without having to change representation. This also means the influence pool would grow much faster than individually, allowing for quicker, better, and more numerous benefits from influence. However, this would require some loops to jump through as guilds loose their autonomy and structuring of the super guild would need to be assessed. Questions like: who will merge into who, who will lead, what of the existing leaders/officers, what will the guild name be, etc.

Here I open to discussion. Please feel free to express your opinions and ideas. I would appreciate it if other guild leadership contact me about this topic, either in this thread or through some other medium if preferred. I also would encourage guilds to have this discussion internally to determine a course of action.

Personally, I can go either route. SoE is large enough and can fare well enough alone to accomplish what we what. However, I know that smaller guilds would be at a disadvantage. I also am extremely warm to the idea of some sort of conglomeration with willing guilds. I think it would be great to be able to gain influence together and would be the best allocation of our resources and (wo)man power. We have enough time and wisdom between us to come to some sort of agreement between participating guilds. If that is the route that guilds would like to go with SoE/SOE we can open another thread, either here or in a private forum, to discuss questions that will be needing answered.

NOTE: Spirit of Elijah and Spirit of Elisha will be one guild in GW2 since there should not be a need to split the two like there was in GW.
NOTE: Do not break NDA if you are in the Beta while forming your responses. Information above came from GuildWarsInsider, GWOnline.Net, and GuildWars2Guru

Last edited:
I would like to see a conglomeration too. Considering the benefits of uniting weighed against the cost I think in the end it would be advantageous for every member to be apart of a "super guild" as opposed to individual ones.

More People = More Influence
More Influence = More Bonuses
More Bonuses = Wealthier Players

Not to mention the ecumenical spirit we could adopt. It would be a good example of Christian unity and create a diverse and healthy community.

As far as Government goes I would like to see a team of Elders with one Leader representing them on rotation (Say every 6 months - 1 year. This way no one person gets burned out and different people introduces new ideas.) I would suggest each current Guild Leader be an Elder and allow them to create different officer positions with their own responsibilities. Nothing too complicated. WvW Officers, PvP Officers, and Regional Officers (EST, Central, PST, etc) That way events could be easily organized when the largest number of people are on. I would suggest we have some sort of Constitution. We will prob. want to come up with an agreed upon Constitution and Behavioral Laws to refer too so no confusion occurs when the inevitable disciplinary action, promotion, or etc. takes place. I guess we will need an agreed upon qualifications for membership too.

(Maybe mix in a little RP flavor by having the positions have cool titles unlike my chart.)

:)

Last edited:
Elhanan I think you have several valid points. The idea of leveraging bonuses and influences with a larger overall guild is a definite advantage. The smaller guilds would gain the most from this, and the larger grouping of guilds would give us a larger pool to draw talented leaders for officers from. I think it is not too early to begin a basic formation of a Constitution and Behavioral Laws, some things could wait for more information on actual guild formation from Anet, but most of the guide lines could be done now. ToJ, and CGA could almost provide boiler plate for that. As for no Guild Hall to start with I'm sure with a larger guild if would be easier to find a work around there.
In summation: The more the merrier.

I think the Time zone recognition is a great idea. Having an officer that represented each time zone is awesome.

Last edited:
Elhanan I think you have several valid points. The idea of leveraging bonuses and influences with a larger overall guild is a definite advantage. The smaller guilds would gain the most from this, and the larger grouping of guilds would give us a larger pool to draw talented leaders for officers from. I think it is not too early to begin a basic formation of a Constitution and Behavioral Laws, some things could wait for more information on actual guild formation from Anet, but most of the guide lines could be done now. ToJ, and CGA could almost provide boiler plate for that. As for no Guild Hall to start with I'm sure with a larger guild if would be easier to find a work around there.
In summation: The more the merrier.

It is definitely not too early to begin some serious guild planning. Many people are jazzed and it would be neat to get to know our community sooner than later. Lets hit the ground running full steam. Also we can play other games with guildies as we wait for launch day.

I would suggest a couple of points...

1) While continuity is suggested by the name, we are actually talking about starting a new guild in a new game.

That said...

2) I suggest that each guild should maintain (or each new guild should adopt) the founding principles that are most critical to its members.

As a Christian guild we have to ask the questions... are we together for community or as a witness? Either answer suggests approaches to solving questions about who we invite, what kind of language we allow, how we resolve conflicts, etc.

Rather than sorting through all these (and other) questions again, I suggest that each guild continue with the answers they have already found and the rules and statements they have already adopted... and join with others where those items overlap.

3) I suggest that any guild or member should be free and welcomed to venture out on their own or with a guild that more closely reflects their interests. And they should be equally free to rejoin the guild.

example: If everybody decides they want to focus on PvP, and I want to start a guild that focuses on PvE... I would hope that you guys would support me in the endeavor. I would also expect to be welcomed back if my effort fails.

4) I think that the rewards offered guilds will require strong communication and a clear leadership structure... and I'm a fan of flow charts like the ones shown here. I STRONGLY discourage the use of the term "elders." It suggests to most Christians the kind of spiritual maturity developed, proven, and upheld within the church.

It should be clear that we are NOT a church.

Our requirements are simpler than the Biblical standards for an elder: What we need is people who are knowledgeable about the game, pleasant in communication, and able to resolve disputes or difficulties.

5) I like the name "Spirit of Elijah," for what it's worth.

There's my two cents. I can't wait to see you all in GW2... whenever it comes out.

As far as Government goes I would like to see a team of Elders with one Leader representing them on rotation (Say every 6 months - 1 year. This way no one person gets burned out and different people introduces new ideas.)

I don't agree with rotating leaders. If anything the 'Commanders" in WvW will need to be the ones to watch for burnout.

Stc is a fine Leader, and I think he should stay there permanently. He can have a couple people such as Abba or Ursen to hold the fort if he'll be away for a time.

[HsC] is starting internal discussions on the points raised above by Stc.

From what I can tell, guilds will also be based around a specific "home server". You can visit and play with folks on other servers in pve, but not pvp. As long as the American grouping is a single server, I don't see any issue. There may be cause for a semi-split if east and west coast are different home servers.

Any insight to this possibility and how would we act in that scenario?

I don't agree with rotating leaders. If anything the 'Commanders" in WvW will need to be the ones to watch for burnout.

Stc is a fine Leader, and I think he should stay there permanently. He can have a couple people such as Abba or Ursen to hold the fort if he'll be away for a time.

[HsC] is starting internal discussions on the points raised above by Stc.

The only Guild Leaders I have ever seen in SoE were Krug and Stc. Both of them have done a fantastic job. However, I would be surprised if every Guild in the Alliance (and possibly other Christian Alliance: i.e. Milk) were willing to give up their own "Guild Leader" position and step aside for our guy. Maybe I'm wrong on that. idk. I would think they would be more comfortable (and more likely to unite) being in a Council of Leaders with the prospect of getting to take the reigns once in awhile.

The only Guild Leaders I have ever seen in SoE were Krug and Stc. Both of them have done a fantastic job. However, I would be surprised if every Guild in the Alliance (and possibly other Christian Alliance: i.e. Milk) were willing to give up their own "Guild Leader" position and step aside for our guy. Maybe I'm wrong on that. idk. I would think they would be more comfortable (and more likely to unite) being in a Council of Leaders with the prospect of getting to take the reigns once in awhile.

While subject to discussion amongst the other sHg members, I'm not opposed to either scenario outright. I think a lot of the current guild setup vs the new hierarchy will dictate somewhat. What with my past leadership experience (current guild leader, previous counterstrike clan leader), and upcoming life changes, i'd personally lean more toward just rolling into SoE. I've done the leadership thing, and dealing with the interpersonal drama events on a regular basis is not something I really want to revisit with the little gaming time I'll have. That being said, if the setup we have within the alliance where we have some smaller group autonomy, that could be a setup worth pursuing.

What are the pro/cons of a rotating leadership vs a long-term one?

Rotating Leaders

Cons:
  • Possibility of negligent leaders in rotation.
  • Possibility of an inconsistent direction. (i.e. WvW focus from Jan-July, then Aug-Dec. a bigger PvE focus, etc)
  • Requires multiple dedicated leaders. (Could be hard to find)

Pros:
  • Division of powers.
  • Consistent new ideas/energy.
  • More representation for the player base.

The biggest concern I think we will find with rotating leadership would be trust. Trusting that each Leader in rotation would be as competent and qualified as the one each guild currently enjoys. Most of us have only been in one of the guilds in the alliance and haven't worked under any other leaders before. I would say the average member doesn't even know who the GL is for each guild in the alliance. [Then again that could just be me.:) ]

Last edited:
So your saying MiLK may join us? It would be like them swallowing us up.. and this is Tribe of Judah. They have their own coalition. I don't see either of us jumping ship and migrating to the other.

So your saying MiLK may join us? It would be like them swallowing us up.. and this is Tribe of Judah. They have their own coalition. I don't see either of us jumping ship and migrating to the other.

Just throwing a name out there. You could read <any other Christian guild> in that particular post. :)

However, if they are as big as you say, unification (at some level) may be something to consider.

For now though our focus should be on uniting our current Alliance.

Last edited:
I am concerned about establishing our guild rules up front. Especially if other alliances will be joining us. We've had issues in the past with botters and gold buyers and it took a lot of arguing among the leadership before it was decided to deal with the issue.

Personally, I don't want to be allied with anyone that says botting is ok. It's a sore point for me. I think any players or guilds that join us need to know our ethics and rules up front so this issue doesn't happen again and our leadership should take action if in the future its discovered that someone is botting or otherwise breaking the game EULA.

Well this is a ToJ guild correct? Those things you mentioned are not allowed by any ToJ members and would be grounds for immediate kicking from any ToJ guild in any game.

Also that brings up a good question. Is this to be a new ToJ guild for a new game, or is this to be the continuation of the old GW1 guild and its alliances but transferred to the new game? Is there a lot of baggage that will be brought in? I know you will have a ton of ToJ members joining that never played GW1 let alone in SoE.

Last edited:
Also that brings up a good question. Is this to be a new ToJ guild for a new game, or is this to be the continuation of the old GW1 guild and its alliances but transferred to the new game? Is there a lot of baggage that will be brought in? I know you will have a ton of ToJ members joining that never played GW1 let alone in SoE.

+1

This is a very good point.

Well this is a ToJ guild correct? Those things you mentioned are not allowed by any ToJ members and would be grounds for immediate kicking from any ToJ guild in any game.

The only ToJ members are specifically for SoE/SOE guilds, not others in the alliance. The botting/gold buyers were in another guild who eventually left and went to MiLK alliance.

At this present time in GW, we have no baggage within the alliance. It has been purged painfully. But, as Raven said, it is a very sore spot.

(I am a ToJ member since my first GW guild was SOE) I understand that the GW2 ToJ guild all have to become members and abide by the rules, thus it would make enforcing them so much easier!

Last edited:
From what I've read, guild membership may be unlimited this time. Though I plan to stay with my own, secular guild, I would like to also be a member of SOE again. However, tbh, I'm not into huge guilds as members tend to get lost in the shuffle, imo. It looks like GW2, in order to receive greater benefits, may force the smaller guilds to merge. Arenanet has not yet stated whether alliances will exist.

Back